DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI doing a bad job creatimg the JPG (way too much denoising)

Ender

Reactions
Hi !
In low light situations the Mavic really does an awful job when processing DNG to JPG...
Here is a 200% crop of a sample image.
DNG AND JPG available here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AitfrG-1s_N6hTU-R5BBIdCJRgIZ

I removed GPS data :) But you can see my mud is getting even more muddier.
No biggie as we HAVE the DNG, but easy to fix by DJI.
This was testing something complete different anyways but its visible also (although less harsh) in images taken under "good" light.
SO PLEASE give us a parameter for Denoising at all. (maybe 4 instead of 3).
So instead of -2,0,0 i would be using -2,0,0,-1000

:)

Ender

Attachments

• DNG vs JPG 0005.png
    DNG vs JPG 0005.png
    880.7 KB · Views: 61
Yes, this is exactly it. I really did feel it was a processing problem and agree now that it probably over de-noising. Its particularly noticeable in foliage. It also seems to have a huge impact on the general colour and saturation. They really need to fix this as I would rather not always be shooting in raw, simply because it takes a long time to write. Its a relief though that its not a dodgy camera.

Yes, this is exactly it. I really did feel it was a processing problem and agree now that it probably over de-noising. Its particularly noticeable in foliage. It also seems to have a huge impact on the general colour and saturation. They really need to fix this as I would rather not always be shooting in raw, simply because it takes a long time to write. Its a relief though that its not a dodgy camera.
Actually i did write some ISO Denoising and Sharpening Algorithms in the loooong gone past so i am really sure they messed up as i also did when i started ;-)

From writing above i now even came to using -2,0,-1 as the colors are also hilarious...
But that doesnt help the "dead dark" areas much.
We simply need a Denoising control, id almost everytime would switch it off except when shooting ISO 1600 maybe but NEVER that harsh.

I can do the whole BG circus on my powerful work machine no problembut i tend to do my private stuff on a rather lightweight machine usually and i dont want it to batch process DNG's all the time so it would be great to be able to use the JPG's in 95% of the shots and only care for those difficult images in DNG workflow.
But at least we got the DNG and all else hopefully will be adjusted in time.

Greetings,

Ender

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian