DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Drone request: Mavic Micro

svenmarbles

Reactions
I’ve been in search of a truly pocket sized drone. Something that can actually be carried in the pocket comfortably. My vision is the following,..

Imagine only the body of a Tello. This would serve as a basis of what I envision. In fact, this drone would essentially BE a Tello if it also had retractable arms.

-No GPS, optical position hold is perfectly adequate.

-No controller. The added equipment defeats the purpose of the desired scale of this drone. Phone WiFi touch screen controls are going to be fine for the applications that this drone would be used for.

-720p resolution is fine, As long as the drone can record with an onboard SD card. Although, I believe it wouldn’t be difficult to bump it up to 1080.

-No gimbal. I don’t want this drone to be delicate in the pocket. Software image stabilization is fine.

-Have the casing design reflect the current Mavic lineup so that this drone can be marketed as the Mavic Micro.

Essentially, I want a foldable Tello with onboard recording. That’s all. I have a nice full sized and capable DJI drone in the MA2. This isn’t the same conversation. I don’t need this drone to embody any of those properties. I want an austere pocket drone that can truly be a part of an “everyday carry” situation..

Take a look at the 1601 drone. This is the form factor that I desire. I know that DJI could very easily make something like that, except with some DJI quality. They almost achieved it with Tello. Not much engineering would need to go into this....

What about the Mavic Pro Gen I "knock-off", that's been around for a bit.
Lookie here:

I like the idea; something to light to fit in a pocket and pulled out when hiking as needed. Would be very short range without a controller and could easily get lost, but if flown close - GPS return home is not needed.

Reactions: svenmarbles
I like the idea; something to light to fit in a pocket and pulled out when hiking as needed. Would be very short range without a controller and could easily get lost, but if flown close - GPS return home is not needed.

Exactly. I don’t intent this to be anything near as capable as a more full sized drone. This would be used for just very nearby, perhaps just to go out a bit and take group selfies or just other nearby things. Something super quick, effortless, and effective. Having the flight properties and resilience of a Tello, but then it folds down real nice to be a truly pocketable drone solution. I really think this would be a popular thing... Marketed towards both drone people as well as casual consumers who might appreciate a cool gadget. Other companies have tried to make a sort of small “selfie drone” type thing, but always miss the mark in my opinion.

If you look at a Tello, and see the size of just the actual drone body itself, it’s very evident that this concept is just a minor retooling away.

This drone wouldn’t need to cost more than $149, as the Tello costs less and it would have similar “guts”. It’s affordable, and it’s another classification that would fall below registration..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots