DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fighting Back Against Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvMyTJ

Reactions
DJI has been taking steps to foil hackers...

"Drone hackers have forced DJI into an arms race.
The tension between drone pilots who want complete control over their aircraft that they bought and DJI, the world's biggest consumer grade drone maker, has come to a head. An arms race between hackers and the company is earnestly underway."

Read more here at the source - DJI Is Locking Down Its Drones Against a Growing Army of DIY Hackers

Reactions: Wersh
So is that why the VMWare thread was removed?
It had almost 1000 posts in it and was the result of 100s of hours of testing and finding out answers by dozens of forum members.

Rob

2500619c9fb1fda3bed0baa3903cb6be.jpg

Why is this a sticky? And does DJI honestly think they can put that cat back in the bag? They may still be fighting, but the war is already over. There will be no returning to the old days.

Reactions: HydroneMantis
Until the next hardware releases where a lot more R&D will be spent on firmware security (instead of on actual features).

So is that why the VMWare thread was removed?
It had almost 1000 posts in it and was the result of 100s of hours of testing and finding out answers by dozens of forum members.

Rob

16. For everyone's safety, we do not condone the manipulation of the manufacturer's software or firmware (software/firmware hacks), and may, (at our discretion), delete without warning any content that violates or promotes this type of activity.

it is a shame the thread was deleted, at your discretion. I understand that the forum owners do not condone the use of software manipulation, but neither do they condone the breaking of any laws (local or foreign), but these threads are not deleted...
Its sad that big brother always feels the need to control content that free thinking adults are exposed to

and yes i am aware of rule number 8. Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we determine the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right at our discretion to remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or remove members. Any abuse toward our team may result in immediate suspension of your account.

Last edited:
Its sad that big brother always feels the need to control content that free thinking adults are exposed to

I could be wrong but i figure the owners of this website do not wish to be participants in the litigation process when a member takes down a plane with knowledge they found right here.

The guidelines for the forum are pretty obvious.

that may be, but to be honest i feel that is a b.s. excuse. But its a private forum and we have to play by their rules.
Another, more "free" forum is available for those that which to discuss the capabilities of the Mavic
I will say, that i am licensed and an instructor, and would never operate outside the regulations, nor operate in a way to negatively impact safety, however there is still plenty to learn that doesn't immediately make me a criminal nor a risk to others. I also think that having the knowledge of what can be done with the Mavic puts me in a better position as an instructor. I would not within my instruction supply any information on how to modify a platform outside of normal parameters, but if it comes up I like to have information on hand so I can advise for or against and not be ignorant of what can be done.

I can also say, that after talking to some military colleagues, the first thing i have done is remove the ability to upload images of myself (taken from my ipad connected to the Mavic) to DJI and then passed on for the production of a facial recognition data base. YES, this is fact.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Dw911 and Kilrah
At this point I am comfortable with the compromise.
I was not happy about the loss of those threads but it's done and they have at least made it clear that discussion on using third party tools to change firmware versions or apps is ok and that by far is the hardest part of getting the mavic you want. The modification stuff is pretty straight forward and rarely presents a problem. There is. plenty of info available on numerous sites. If it stays this way I am ok with it.

Rob

At this point I am comfortable with the compromise.
I was not happy about the loss of those threads but it's done and they have at least made it clear that discussion on using third party tools to change firmware versions or apps is ok and that by far is the hardest part of getting the mavic you want. The modification stuff is pretty straight forward and rarely presents a problem. There is. plenty of info available on numerous sites. If it stays this way I am ok with it.

Rob
But what if you are using DJI software to make the modifications. DJI gave us Assistant 2 and it has that debug mode.... So we are using a DJI approved tool to just change the settings they give us access to. What is so wrong about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme