DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI FLY 1.4.12 (blue dot compass )

Stabo

Reactions
update to version 1.4.12 compass works incorrectly. Does not show the position where I am (blue dot) Mavic AIR 2 with Smart controller
I am attaching a photo of the new and old versions for comparison

Attachments

• 1.4.12.jpg
    1.4.12.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 1.4.8.jpg
    1.4.8.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 149
Thank you for the post - I was going to experiment, but not now. I also have the SC with Air2.

ps: I was bit worried when the release note on the download page didn't mention the Smart Controller as compatible with this release. Seems there's a reason it isn't listed.

Reactions: maggior
I have just installed 1.4.12 on both my Note 10+ and Galaxy Tab A7 LTE amd the attitude indicator no longer showe the blue or yellow dot. This is a makor issue as it makes it difficult od know where the drone is , should you loose sight of it. Any word from DJI yet ??

Reactions: Stabo
I have just installed 1.4.12 on both my Note 10+ and Galaxy Tab A7 LTE amd the attitude indicator no longer showe the blue or yellow dot. This is a makor issue as it makes it difficult od know where the drone is , should you loose sight of it. Any word from DJI yet ??
I am waiting for a response from DJI support for this problem.

I note that very briefly both blue and yellow some times appear but them go to the centre of the circular grid and sit below the blue arrow which represents the drone. I have forwarded the details they asked for and await a reply. Most irritating that this recently added feature is no longer functioning.

To me its not a big deal that it does not work. I never use that on any of my drones. All seem to work differently and I find its just something else to distract me.

To me its not a big deal that it does not work. I never use that on any of my drones. All seem to work differently and I find its just something else to distract me.
That's as maybe , but , for a recently added and celebrated feature to cease functioning in a , supposedly,further improved bit of software , is not a great advertisement for DJI's pre release testing, in my opinion, others are available, of course. Maybe I'll get used to the map alternative, which is more comprehensive but not a simple.

That's as maybe , but , for a recently added and celebrated feature to cease functioning in a , supposedly,further improved bit of software , is not a great advertisement for DJI's pre release testing, in my opinion, others are available, of course. Maybe I'll get used to the map alternative, which is more comprehensive but not a simple.
DJI putting out software with bugs is no different on any of the other brands. Autel's Apps have a lot to be desired as a lot of functions don't work right. Parrot it seemed for a while anytime they put out a update they created another problem. The nice thing about DJI is they usually send out a fix pretty fast unlike Autel where you can wait months.

Well I know not to bother with this update. The compass is so useful but totally useless if it doesn't show the drone in relation to the heading. Sure you can use that map but the compass is simpler.

Hope they address it soon.

Well I know not to bother with this update. The compass is so useful but totally useless if it doesn't show the drone in relation to the heading. Sure you can use that map but the compass is simpler.

Hope they address it soon.
DJI Technical Support replied to me about the Compass issue on version 1.4.12

Thanks for sharing with us the link.

However, there's no information received from our Engineers about the concern you reported but no worries, we'll forward it to them for further checking.

Thank you for understanding.
Stay safe.
Best Regards,
Antonette
DJI Customer Support

DJI Technical Support replied to me about the Compass issue on version 1.4.12

Thanks for sharing with us the link.

However, there's no information received from our Engineers about the concern you reported but no worries, we'll forward it to them for further checking.

Thank you for understanding.
Stay safe.
Best Regards,
Antonette
DJI Customer Support

Thanks for reporting the issue to DJI and following up here. Too bad they were unaware of it, that means it will be longer before a fix comes out. I'm sure right now they are all focused on the new releases coming out.

Grazie per aver segnalato il problema a DJI e aver seguito qui. Peccato che non ne fossero a conoscenza, ciò significa che ci vorrà più tempo prima che venga fuori una correzione. Sono sicuro che in questo momento sono tutti concentrati sulle nuove uscite in uscita.
Maybe they listened to me !!

I got from dji a documentation of the djiFly app radar screen compass.
I thought it would be interesting to post here.

181926hxc2zsy76es7907k.png

The attitude indicator in the bottom-left corner of the image transmission screen displays the relative position between the aircraft and the remote controller as well as the aircraft's attitude.

Icon meanings:
Blue arrow: Orientation of the aircraft front
Greenlight under blue arrow: Direction of the gimbal and camera
White N icon: Due north
Yellow H icon Direction of the Home Point
Blue dot: Mobile device location; Triangle icon: Orientation of the remote controller (mobile device compass)
Gray dot: Mobile device location, with the weak satellite signal.

Two white lines: Aircraft attitude. When the aircraft leans forward, the white line is titled to the upper part of the attitude indicator. When the aircraft leans left, the white line is titled to the left of the attitude indicator. When the aircraft leans forward and is perpendicular to the ground, the white line reaches the top of the attitude indicator.

(1) The proportion of the white line to the attitude indicator in the vertical direction indicates the forward and backward tilt angle of the aircraft.

(2) The degree of tilt from left to right indicates the left and right tilt angle of the aircraft.
Remarks: In the DJI Fly attitude indicator, the aircraft is displayed in a first-person view. The aircraft's front orientation is fixed.

Having said that, due to a certain error in the GPS accuracy of the mobile device and the compass, when the aircraft and the mobile device are relatively close, the displayed direction of the aircraft sometimes may not be very accurate, at this time, therefore, please do calibrate mobile device compass and the aircraft compass, also avoid metal interference to test again. If the issue persists, please provide the app log, device model, firmware version, and issue recording for analysis.

Reactions: jay2020 and PAW
I got from dji a documentation of the djiFly app radar screen compass.
I thought it would be interesting to post here.

View attachment 136455

The attitude indicator in the bottom-left corner of the image transmission screen displays the relative position between the aircraft and the remote controller as well as the aircraft's attitude.

Icon meanings:
Blue arrow: Orientation of the aircraft front
Greenlight under blue arrow: Direction of the gimbal and camera
White N icon: Due north
Yellow H icon Direction of the Home Point
Blue dot: Mobile device location; Triangle icon: Orientation of the remote controller (mobile device compass)
Gray dot: Mobile device location, with the weak satellite signal.

Two white lines: Aircraft attitude. When the aircraft leans forward, the white line is titled to the upper part of the attitude indicator. When the aircraft leans left, the white line is titled to the left of the attitude indicator. When the aircraft leans forward and is perpendicular to the ground, the white line reaches the top of the attitude indicator.

(1) The proportion of the white line to the attitude indicator in the vertical direction indicates the forward and backward tilt angle of the aircraft.

(2) The degree of tilt from left to right indicates the left and right tilt angle of the aircraft.
Remarks: In the DJI Fly attitude indicator, the aircraft is displayed in a first-person view. The aircraft's front orientation is fixed.

Having said that, due to a certain error in the GPS accuracy of the mobile device and the compass, when the aircraft and the mobile device are relatively close, the displayed direction of the aircraft sometimes may not be very accurate, at this time, therefore, please do calibrate mobile device compass and the aircraft compass, also avoid metal interference to test again. If the issue persists, please provide the app log, device model, firmware version, and issue recording for analysis.
Thank you for sharing this information! The new update is working well with my Air 2 and SC but correctly stated my controller direction is not very accurate. It shows me facing a different direction then I am, even after recalibration on both the SC and drone and a reset of both? Much better than it was though with the latency and no compass at all 👍

So, any news from you guys that updated to 1.4.12 (1410)? compass bug fixed? or any other bug? i still on 1.4.8, and i want to update, but first i wanna read others who have updated..

unfortunately for lack of time I still have to test the application ... but I heard that they solved the compass problem. for now I'm fine with Beta 1.4.8 1185 then we'll see ..

The direction of the blue triangle of the compass showing the direction to the drone is ONLY dependant on the GPS position differences of the smartphone and the drone (these will at most be accurate enough) and the compass function of your smartphone!!! (It is NOT dependant on the drones compass as the controller has no compass).
IPhones do automatically try to ajust the smartphones compass, but do not always good enough.
This compass adjustment cannot manually be done as (it is often needed) in Android. There are hints in youtube, how to really ajust (reset) your iPhones compass.
It is a pity, how often iPhone users do complain a seemingly misfunction of the drones compass or the navigators software of any DJI App version: Just check your smartphones compass before any complainment: If YOUR compass is correct adjusted, the navigator will show the correct direction.
By the way: My Android smartphones, if held longer time vertical, needs up to half a minute or more until the compass recovers to show the correct direction. Until then it is nearly a random direction.
Another hint:
The really serious problem is, that the compass of the drone loses time by time its compass accuracy (as typical Android smartphone do). If the drones compass switches inflight into bad adjustment, it will result in a "full speed fly away" (e.g.: the GPS differences to the controller tells the drone to fly some inches to north - but the compass misleads the drone some inches to south. Now the difference between 'should and is position' gets more and more greater until the drone trys to fly full speed to a position it cannot reach).
So it is a vital rule to begin ANY flight day with a manual compass ajustment of the drone!
Even if the drone typically states, that the compass is normal at now, you do now know in how many days the falling quality of the compass signal reaches the deadly border. The chance of compass loss in-flight is much higher than before-flight, as the flight time will be dozens longer than your flight preparation time.
Not vital for the drones security, but nicer for to find the drone: check throughly your smartphones compass.

Reactions: Gbeckwith
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada