DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly 1.4.2 Freezing video feed

the_goon

Reactions
When flying using the 1.4.2 app on Android with the mini 2, the video freezes after a few mins. Only an app restart fixed it. It then does the same again afterwards.

Anyone else getting this?

The telemetrics still work fine on the app, like distance etc, but the video feed freezes. Tried rebooting everything but to no avail... Still happening.

When flying using the 1.4.2 app on Android with the mini 2, the video freezes after a few mins. Only an app restart fixed it. It then does the same again afterwards.

Anyone else getting this?

The telemetrics still work fine on the app, like distance etc, but the video feed freezes. Tried rebooting everything but to no avail... Still happening.
what device are you using?

Just posted this on a different thread about an ipad mini.
Some of it may apply to your settings.

Have you cleared the video cache?
Do you even have it switch on?
Switch off the video cache in the Go4 App and see if that improves the situation.

Video Cache
Three dots ... top right goes to General settings
Cache during video shooting (switch it off)
or leaver it on and set the maximum video cache size
and the clear cache automatically option.

Run iTunes and under File Sharing see what apps are gobbling up memory on your ipad (and/or/if) it is a memory issue.
You can also download the internal files of the Dji Go 4 App from here such as 'waypoints.db'.
The db files can be read and altered by SQLite if needs be.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Just had a similar issue using my iPad mini 4 flying the air 2s. Had previously turned off the photo cache, as others said it would help. Still had warnings on the iPad about insufficient storage or memory and could effect performance. Just the other day soon after I took off screen keep freezing and drone was not responding the drone was not far away but it was mid-afternoon and I couldn't see it ever once in awhile I could hear it. I kept trying to get the drone back to me, but unable to. Hit return to home and started praying screen Still coming in out of being froze, could not see or hear the drone, and not sure what was happening hit return to home this time I believe I used the symbol on the IPad and not the button on the controller. In a little while I heard say it was landing Still did not see it or hear it. The screen unfreeze long enough for me see it land in some grass. I had taken off at a baseball field, but within 50 yards there were trees and a creek, a pasture with chest high grass. At this point I thought I had lost my drone never to be seen again. Trying to remember how to get to the find my drone got it going but It seemed to be difficult to tell where the drone showed up on the map and I was in relationship to it. Walked several ways and it didn't seem to show me getting closer or farther away. Started to look in another place and could finally see I was getting closer. It had landed about 25 yards to the north of the take off point. It should have been easy for me to see it land but I was looking over head. Needless to say I was glad I had not given up on finding my drone witch took about 30 minutes. I will no longer be using the iPad mini 4 to fly the air 2s. Found a good used iPad 6th generation that I will be using from now on.

Just had a similar issue using my iPad mini 4 flying the air 2s. Had previously turned off the photo cache, as others said it would help. Still had warnings on the iPad about insufficient storage or memory and could effect performance. Just the other day soon after I took off screen keep freezing and drone was not responding the drone was not far away but it was mid-afternoon and I couldn't see it ever once in awhile I could hear it. I kept trying to get the drone back to me, but unable to. Hit return to home and started praying screen Still coming in out of being froze, could not see or hear the drone, and not sure what was happening hit return to home this time I believe I used the symbol on the IPad and not the button on the controller. In a little while I heard say it was landing Still did not see it or hear it. The screen unfreeze long enough for me see it land in some grass. I had taken off at a baseball field, but within 50 yards there were trees and a creek, a pasture with chest high grass. At this point I thought I had lost my drone never to be seen again. Trying to remember how to get to the find my drone got it going but It seemed to be difficult to tell where the drone showed up on the map and I was in relationship to it. Walked several ways and it didn't seem to show me getting closer or farther away. Started to look in another place and could finally see I was getting closer. It had landed about 25 yards to the north of the take off point. It should have been easy for me to see it land but I was looking over head. Needless to say I was glad I had not given up on finding my drone witch took about 30 minutes. I will no longer be using the iPad mini 4 to fly the air 2s. Found a good used iPad 6th generation that I will be using from now on.
The controller has a RTH button on it if you lose your device somehow you can just use the button on the remote controller to get it back as long as the controller itself still has a connection. The iPad Mini 4 is the minimum device to run the Fly app. It's a resource hog for sure, I've been using the iPad mini 5 with no issues so far (knock on wood).

I thought about the iPad mini 5, but I wanted it to have cellular, like my mini 4 had, not that I use it but heard it had some advantages to not having it, and was unable to find a affordable mini 5. I went with the iPad that also has cellular. Have not yet used the iPad with the drone since I had the incident the other day, but am hoping to fly again soon to see how it works.

I thought about the iPad mini 5, but I wanted it to have cellular, like my mini 4 had, not that I use it but heard it had some advantages to not having it, and was unable to find a affordable mini 5. I went with the iPad that also has cellular. Have not yet used the iPad with the drone since I had the incident the other day, but am hoping to fly again soon to see how it works.
I just use my phone as a hotspot for the iPad. Works great and no additional cellular bills.

I never activated the cellular service on my iPad mini 4, and never had to load any maps wherever I flew, I heard just having the cellular service and not even activating it still gave some added benefits, I don't remember for sure but I think GPS and compass.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
I never activated the cellular service on my iPad mini 4, and never had to load any maps wherever I flew, I heard just having the cellular service and not even activating it still gave some added benefits, I don't remember for sure but I think GPS and compass.
If I remember correctly (never any guarantee of that), I think all the iPads have a compass. GPS is the advantage of a cellular version.

I also had this issue with my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G, but only while recording in 4K 30fps. Only a revert to 1.4.0 helped. With 1.4.8 this issue is gone, however yesterday I experienced the exact opposite. Video stream ok, but Telemetry/Map/Gimbal angle/recording status all frozen after I switched from Normal mode to CineSmooth during flight. App needed to be killed the hard way during flight and reopened to make things work again. DJI Fly App is really always a surprise these days

I’d be interested in knowing how you get on with your 6th Gen iPad mini. I had a freezing video feed with my A2S just metres away from me, though I still had full control over the aircraft. I’m using an old 256GB iPhone X. Want something a little bigger and reliable!

I’d be interested in knowing how you get on with your 6th Gen iPad mini. I had a freezing video feed with my A2S just metres away from me, though I still had full control over the aircraft. I’m using an old 256GB iPhone X. Want something a little bigger and reliable!
My iPad Mini 4 just would never work right even after turning off video cache and not recording during flight. I just sold it and got a WiFi iPad Mini 5...works great on A2S and on Mini 2 even with a 8 GB cache and recording while flying. No stutters at all. I use my hotspot for maps when I need to but I also can "preload" the maps at home and then go fly without the hotspot.

My iPad Mini 4 just would never work right even after turning off video cache and not recording during flight. I just sold it and got a WiFi iPad Mini 5...works great on A2S and on Mini 2 even with a 8 GB cache and recording while flying. No stutters at all. I use my hotspot for maps when I need to but I also can "preload" the maps at home and then go fly without the hotspot.
Yea, my iPhone X capability is very much on my mind. Even though it’s a 256GB model, I’m wondering if the the phone is just not up to the job? I thought about buying an iPad mini 6 256 model..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929