DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

dji fly 1.5.9 video cache not working

hendersg

Reactions
Hi. Just updated to 1.5.9 and while everything is good flying wise I notice that despite the cache video wile recording is set to on its not actually happening. I flew 2 days ago on the 25th Jan on (I think) 1.5.8 and I can can see the video cache files for that but for todays flights there are no cached video files. Photos are downloading to the phone OK but no video cache.
Can someone else check their logs. Android app on galaxy S8 running stock android. DJI Mini 2
Thanks

Reactions: PeterPatrick
Yep, video cache doesn't work from V1.5 onwards

Yep, video cache doesn't work from V1.5 onwards
Yes. I've just spent ages on with DJI support and they are useless. They neither understand the issue or it seems their own products. I've just rolled back to 1.5.4 and it works but 1.5.8 and 1.5.9 both fail to cache video. I suspect even with this additional info the support people will still be lost in a pool of confusion. Even the website support pointed me to still has 1.5.9 mislabelled as 1.5.8.

Reactions: Yaros
Yes. I've just spent ages on with DJI support and they are useless. They neither understand the issue or it seems their own products. I've just rolled back to 1.5.4 and it works but 1.5.8 and 1.5.9 both fail to cache video. I suspect even with this additional info the support people will still be lost in a pool of confusion. Even the website support pointed me to still has 1.5.9 mislabelled as 1.5.8.
I said this much already, but it truly seems to me that DJI do not even test their own software and firmware before releasing it to the world.

It is called regression testing. It is easy to do if you want quality software and plan accordingly. It is abundantly clear DJI does not do it and expects users to do their quality control.

It seems their guys can push a new release after they make a change in their specific area of code yet they have zero responsibility to test other code segments that might be affected. It is really hard to imagine their code works at all. My fiasco with the blue dot compass arrow confirmed they haven't a clue about what their own stuff does, or is supposed to do.

It's not really funny, but I'm thinking the one guy that knew how the blue dot works moved on, so no one is left who can fix it. Maybe the same has happened here with the video cache system.

Reactions: Speedster 1966
It is called regression testing. It is easy to do if you want quality software and plan accordingly. It is abundantly clear DJI does not do it and expects users to do their quality control.

It seems their guys can push a new release after they make a change in their specific area of code yet they have zero responsibility to test other code segments that might be affected. It is really hard to imagine their code works at all. My fiasco with the blue dot compass arrow confirmed they haven't a clue about what their own stuff does, or is supposed to do.

It's not really funny, but I'm thinking the one guy that knew how the blue dot works moved on, so no one is left who can fix it. Maybe the same has happened here with the video cache system.
That's certainly a possibility, and wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

As a software dev myself, I can say that bugs will eventually appear at some point, even after release, but some of the bugs in DJI's software are really too obvious and easy to test, such as the 1.4.8 update video lagging/black screen issues. Or the compass issue a couple of updates back. Things like these are really easy to test. Ideally, they should have a simulator set up that communicates with their software to allow to test on PC too, like on a virtual drone, but they also should test it on a real drone.
They release their updates very frequently, but instead of fixing major issues, they introduce even more major issues...
DJI will be always DJI... what more to say?! 😆

This why I've been so disappointed in my A2S, and won't by the M3. FLY is simply a poor app when compared to Go4. The controller is poor also, lacking wheels and buttons that Go4 controllers had. And the app really sucks when trying to use goggles (with RC Pro HDMI). Too many warnings on the screen with no way to easily close the warning windows without taking off the goggles (third party). A C1 or C2 button on the RC would be appropriate to close warning dialog windows, but those are not available with the cheapo controller they ship with A2S, M3 and Mini2 craft. RC pro is nice, it's more rich with the buttons and wheels from Go4 controllers, but the 5.5" display is too small. Where's the 8" high bright Pro controller? Since June 2015 these issues have always been present with most all new craft, having untested software, obvious to all buyers. This complaint has been around for the 7yrs I've been flying DJI. I always expect all craft to have disappointing bugs in the firmware or app software when initially released. Even when they took a full 3yrs to release M3, it was still missing lots of functionality so they could introduce it before Christmas. I always wait 6 months to buy a new model DJI release because that's about how long it take DJI to fix everything that doesn't work, sometimes longer.

As a software dev myself, I can say that bugs will eventually appear at some point, even after release, but some of the bugs in DJI's software are really too obvious and easy to test, such as the 1.4.8 update video lagging/black screen issues. Or the compass issue a couple of updates back. Things like these are really easy to test. Ideally, they should have a simulator set up that communicates with their software to allow to test on PC too, like on a virtual drone, but they also should test it on a real drone.
They release their updates very frequently, but instead of fixing major issues, they introduce even more major issues...
DJI will be always DJI... what more to say?! 😆
That's sort of funny because 1.4.8 is my GOTO version that is virtually bug free for me. But the compass issue persists in the current versions. But that's because their teams don't talk to each other. So the SC team is clueless a new update is out; the Android team doesn't know the iOS team changed something; etc. Chaos Rules!

Reactions: Yaros
That's sort of funny because 1.4.8 is my GOTO version that is virtually bug free for me. But the compass issue persists in the current versions. But that's because their teams don't talk to each other. So the SC team is clueless a new update is out; the Android team doesn't know the iOS team changed something; etc. Chaos Rules!
The issues with 1.4.8 were only happening in the first builds of the version. Later they fixed the issue and the last couple of 1.4.8 builds (compilations) were actually functional. But when I updated to 1.4.8 I almost crashed my drone because of that specific version. I was flying and my telemetry got stuck, I didn't notice it, the battery was running out but in the app it was displaying as 50%, after a couple of minutes I realized that the battery indicator isn't changing and shortly after I thought of that it was already too late, the drone started force landing, pushed stick up for a while, when it got to 1% it landed in some bushes safely, but it was close to crashing. After that experience I rolled back to 1.4.4 until they released the 1.5.4 update.

Reactions: eEridani
Does anyone know if in the new version 1.5.10 caching is back? I would hate for my drone to crash or get lost and I lose the footage as well. It does not show up in the phone's album any longer.

Didn't fix the problem. I have a Mini 2 and have played around with a few settings in the Fly App. I found if I use 24, 25 or 30 frame rate the cache works, anything greater than 30 fails.

Didn't fix the problem. I have a Mini 2 and have played around with a few settings in the Fly App. I found if I use 24, 25 or 30 frame rate the cache works, anything greater than 30 fails.
Hi Johnno53,

I have the latest version and I am filming in 4K 30fps. I can't find cached videos for it anywhere on my Android device. You said that in 24,25 or 30 fps it works, but do you know where to find the cached videos?

Thanks

Hi Johnno53,

I have the latest version and I am filming in 4K 30fps. I can't find cached videos for it anywhere on my Android device. You said that in 24,25 or 30 fps it works, but do you know where to find the cached videos?

Thanks
All the videos should appear in the Fly app under App Album, at least the lower frame rates do for me, I've got a cheap Oppo phone. If they aren't under the App Album try another setting perhaps 2.7k at 24fps, hope you find the problem, are you using a high speed SD card?

Regards

All the videos should appear in the Fly app under App Album, at least the lower frame rates do for me, I've got a cheap Oppo phone. If they aren't under the App Album try another setting perhaps 2.7k at 24fps, hope you find the problem, are you using a high speed SD card?

Regards
You are right. For lower resolutions, it is all there in the album marked as CACHE on the thumbnail. It is only for the 4k that it is not caching. I need to test the no SD approach I read about in another site where the drone will store all files on the phone when it does not have an SD card. I suspect it must be only for photos, but if it uses the phone's storage instead of the internal SD card, that would be a good alternative. Ideally it would be able to do both so you have a backup in case your drone goes missing.

It is annoying, I really would like to be able record in 2.7k 60fps, hopefully DJI will fix the problem. In regard to trying without an SD card I think you will find that only 720 will be recorded on the phone. Let's hope a fix comes along soon.

Reactions: aeciolemos
Yes I have this problem. Sorry but how do I 'role back' to 1.5.4. I am a bit of a ludite!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000