DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly app and ipad OS 16 warning

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
There was a question about iOS 16 previously but I thought this warranted its' own thread. I have recently been having a problem with my iPad (latest OS as of Apr 2023) and the DJI Fly app which would occasionally crash while I was flying. My drone would continue to fly just fine but the app would quit. Failing a third hand I would have to stop flying for a moment or sometimes keep my right thumb flying the drone (if filming) while I opened the DJI fly app and continued on with no problem. This might happen once or twice within 10 or 12 flights during a day. I asked on the DJI forums and was told by DJI that iPads are not supported beyond iOS 15. I'm bummed. Dunno if support will return but in any case I'm done with my iPad for now as downgrading is not possible. Perhaps I'm the only clueless one here but in the event I'm not....

There was a question about iOS 16 previously but I thought this warranted its' own thread. I have recently been having a problem with my iPad (latest OS as of Apr 2023) and the DJI Fly app which would occasionally crash while I was flying. My drone would continue to fly just fine but the app would quit. Failing a third hand I would have to stop flying for a moment or sometimes keep my right thumb flying the drone (if filming) while I opened the DJI fly app and continued on with no problem. This might happen once or twice within 10 or 12 flights during a day. I asked on the DJI forums and was told by DJI that iPads are not supported beyond iOS 15. I'm bummed. Dunno if support will return but in any case I'm done with my iPad for now as downgrading is not possible. Perhaps I'm the only clueless one here but in the event I'm not....
There is another update looming for IpadOS, it's possible that your issue may resolve. Your probably on 16.4, and 16.5 is in beta, 3rd iteration , so I suspect it will drop soon.. It may resolve it, maybe not...

There is another update looming for IpadOS, it's possible that your issue may resolve. Your probably on 16.4, and 16.5 is in beta, 3rd iteration , so I suspect it will drop soon.. It may resolve it, maybe not...
I would expect better from you! Next time, give me a definitive YES! it will be fixed! :) LOL

I would expect better from you! Next time, give me a definitive YES! it will be fixed! :) LOL

and make sure you turn off auto updates for the software so it doesnt update behind your back

Reactions: Robert Prior
and make sure you turn off auto updates for the software so it doesnt update behind your back
I do and I never update for a few weeks to see if there are bugs but sometimes this kind of thing sneaks by and is not understood until it is too late, sigh...

I haven't had any problems like that come up and I have used iOS 14, iOS 15, iOS 16, and am now on the iOS 16.5 beta 3. iOS 16.5 will probably be released in a couple weeks and iOS 17 will begin beta development and probably released this fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
it was a DJI rep on their forum that said it wasn't supported. I posted because of the issues I was having so there's definitely something going on there. It could be the model of the iPad or any one of many things so it's good you're having no issues.

it was a DJI rep on their forum that said it wasn't supported. I posted because of the issues I was having so there's definitely something going on there. It could be the model of the iPad or any one of many things so it's good you're having no issues.
I use an iPad mini 6. But it could be an issue with older iPads. I remember the iPad mini 4 would push out errors due to the lack of processing power to run the fly app at the time. Maybe same thing here?

I just put the air 2S up in the air, iPad had several things running in the background on purpose to see if I could get it to crash. ( the iPad, not the drone. ) 23 min flight with no events.

mine is the latest iPad Pro 12.9"...512GB...

Well, I know this thread is pretty old, but I am curious - akdrone do you still have this issue? I have an iPhone 8 with 16.7.1 and I get the exact same issue. It will generally crash at least once during a flight session.

Well, I know this thread is pretty old, but I am curious - akdrone do you still have this issue? I have an iPhone 8 with 16.7.1 and I get the exact same issue. It will generally crash at least once during a flight session.
It's been quite a while since I used my iPad so I can't say if any updates helped. I got an RC and generally use it now.

Reactions: hedbonker
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143