DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly App - Direction Indicator Wrong Direction

pawnie

Reactions
Hi, I've noticed this issue from time to time flying both my Mavic Mini and Air 2: the compass or direction indicator at the bottom seems to flip around sometimes to the exact opposite direction. Seems like a TAN(45) type issue I've seen in video game radar displays where you follow a target but you're going the exact wrong way.

Is this common?

Thanks.

Reactions: JC_Wang
I fly from my truck using a iPad mostly. I see it off at times.
I just hold my pad flat and move it in a figure 8 pattern a few times and gets north back to north and all is well then.

Reactions: zeusfl and pawnie
Hi, I've noticed this issue from time to time flying both my Mavic Mini and Air 2: the compass or direction indicator at the bottom seems to flip around sometimes to the exact opposite direction. Seems like a TAN(45) type issue I've seen in video game radar displays where you follow a target but you're going the exact wrong way.

Is this common?

Thanks.

Just calibrate the compass on your phone/tablet and you'll be good to go ;)

Just calibrate the compass on your phone/tablet and you'll be good to go ;)

Hmmm, didn't know I had to do that. Thanks for the advice, will do.

Edit: Wait, I think you meant calibrate the compass on my drone using my phone. Yep, done it many times. Still happens. Maybe I'm just getting interference from nearby power lines, etc. Still researching this.

Last edited:

Edit: Wait, I think you meant calibrate the compass on my drone using my phone. Yep, done it many times. Still happens. Maybe I'm just getting interference from nearby power lines, etc. Still researching this.
No your device. Try doing the figure 8. I will be powered on and see it’s off and never power off just do that and I gets back right.

The idea is that the app needs to know which way YOU are facing which needs your device compass to be accurate. Androids are notorious for their compasses being out of calibration.

If your AC is in front of you due north of you calculated by your and the AC's GPS, but the device tells the app you're facing south, it will show it as behind you.

Nope, on your phone. Not the drone. Your phone.
Not always easiest to find- on mine, you go to compass and it calibrates from there.

Reactions: dirkclod
tried this many times but it has never worked for me. iPhone X.
View attachment 113954
Well I’ve never did it with a phone don’t fly with one but sure works with my pad. Seen it posted in here way back and tryed it and worked.
Really don’t know how to calibrate a phone have never had to but seems if it was a bug more would be posting about it .?‍♂️

Nope, on your phone. Not the drone. Your phone.
Not always easiest to find- on mine, you go to compass and it calibrates from there.
We posted at same time. Will have to check that out .

Added/ just looked in mine and doesn’t have anything about recalibrating it.

Hey @dirkclod . How strange, I'm on Android but just found this on Dr Google:-
Calibrate the compass – on iOS
  1. Enable the Compass Calibration service:
    • Click on the Settings icon.
    • Select Privacy.
    • Select Location Services.
    • Select System Services.
    • Turn Compass Calibration ON.
  2. Open the built-in Maps App and follow the on-screen prompts to get an accurate location reading.
  3. Press the lower left side arrow till it points up.
  4. If your compass is not calibrated, a Calibration Circle screen will pop-up and you will be able to calibrate the compass by filling out that circle with figure 8 movements in the air.
  5. At the end of this process you will note that the blue line of sight in the Maps application is pointing to the correct direction.
  6. Your compass is calibrated.
Intrigued what results you get...

Hey @dirkclod . How strange, I'm on Android but just found this on Dr Google:-
Calibrate the compass – on iOS
  1. Enable the Compass Calibration service:
    • Click on the Settings icon.
    • Select Privacy.
    • Select Location Services.
    • Select System Services.
    • Turn Compass Calibration ON.
  2. Open the built-in Maps App and follow the on-screen prompts to get an accurate location reading.
  3. Press the lower left side arrow till it points up.
  4. If your compass is not calibrated, a Calibration Circle screen will pop-up and you will be able to calibrate the compass by filling out that circle with figure 8 movements in the air.
  5. At the end of this process you will note that the blue line of sight in the Maps application is pointing to the correct direction.
  6. Your compass is calibrated.
Intrigued what results you get...
Thanks , my phone compass is fine was trying to figure out how to help the above poster. Now my iPad does what his does at times
but only when flying from inside my truck and like I said the figure 8
fixs it everytime even when I’m in the air. Gonna check in my pad and do a recal just to see what happens. When I use my map going somewhere driving it’s always right.

I think its just some kind of sleep feature, if it doesn't sense any activity for a while it thinks the device isn't being used...the figure 8 thing just "wakes it up" and gets it going again. I don't know this for sure but the same thing happens when your phone sits on the counter, it will go to sleep until you pick it up and wave it around...or press the home button.

Well I’ve never did it with a phone don’t fly with one but sure works with my pad. Seen it posted in here way back and tryed it and worked.
Really don’t know how to calibrate a phone have never had to but seems if it was a bug more would be posting about it .?‍♂️
IPhone, iPad or iPad mini (see picture). Doesn't matter which one I use, my compass has never been right. And they all have compass calibration turned on as noted in post #12.

Saw the post thanks ?

Is this common?

Thanks.
Same here got wrong direction

Is this common?

Thanks.

I have the same issue on Android version 1.1.8 and 1.1.9, even though I calibrated the compass on both my phone and Air 2 (before that I used iOS version 1.1.3 which had no issue like this).

Reactions: pawnie
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo