DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly app is missing a lot of restricted airspace

Reactions
The two attached images are screenshots of DJI Fly and AirMap advising me of flight restrictions in Dallas, Texas's "East Dallas" area. As as reference, you can see White Rock Lake roughly in the middle of the right side.

The difference in indicated restrictions is striking. AirMap says virtually everything between US 75 (Central Expressway) and White Rock Lake is restricted airspace, whereas DJI Fly shows no restrictions for much of the area. DJI's restrictions start a few miles west of AirMap's.

This is FAA's official map, which backs up AirMap: ArcGIS Web Application

What is going on? Either DJI Fly is missing crucial information, or somehow those class B restrictions do not apply to me? I am using a DJI Mini 2, which appears to be restricted to 400 feet regardless? FAA's guidance is awful: dense and confusing. I am wondering if you thread the needle through them correctly, you end up with that if you have sub-250 gram drones, that you have more freedom to fly in restricted airspace that heavier drones don't?

Attachments

• IMG_5168.PNG
    IMG_5168.PNG
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5169.PNG
    IMG_5169.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Several apps I've looked at are not 'inclusive' for flight restrictions: permanent or temporary. So I use B4uFly and Aloft. Apps recommended by the FAA so that if a problem occurs, I can at least say I was using FAA preferred software.

TBH - I have only opened the DJI tools once, just to see what they were.

Perhaps you should look at a sectional map. I couldn't locate your position so can't comment, but outside of 5 miles from DFW there the Class B space is limited to higher altitudes where it is permissible to fly, perhaps requiring authorization, still flyable. Dallas Sectional map

I'd suggest researching what controlled airspace is and learn how to use sectional as suggested. DJI Geo zones are not meant to give you permission to fly in controlled airspace and just keep you from taking off or warning you in the more critical areas. It seems to confuse people and makes them think as long as DJI says you can fly, it's OK...but it's not in many circumstances. Even some TFR's won't keep you from launching while using DJI's GEO fencing. It's up to the pilot to make sure they have FAA approval in controlled airspace. Even in class G airspace you might have to stand down from launching if something like a TFR has been issued in the section of class G airspace you're wanting to fly in. You need to check for TFR's before flying. Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's
Apps like Airmap or Aloft just make it a bit easier to research airspace.
And then there are situations where you get FAA LAANC approval but your DJI drone will not let you launch. Typically in those situations you need to know how to unlock the DJI GEO fencing.

Last edited:
I'd suggest researching what controlled airspace is and learn how to use sectional as suggested. DJI Geo zones are not meant to give you permission to fly in controlled airspace and just keep you from taking off or warning you in the more critical areas. It seems to confuse people and makes them think as long as DJI says you can fly, it's OK...but it's not in many circumstances. Even some TFR's won't keep you from launching while using DJI's GEO fencing. It's up to the pilot to make sure they have FAA approval in controlled airspace. Even in class G airspace you might have to stand down from launching if something like a TFR has been issued in the section of class G airspace you're wanting to fly in. You need to check for TFR's before flying. Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's
Apps like Airmap or Aloft just make it a bit easier to research airspace.
And then there are situations where you get FAA LAANC approval but your DJI drone will not let you launch. Typically in those situations you need to know how to unlock the DJI GEO fencing.

You kind of pointed out the craziness of DJI's geofencing. Sometimes it geofences areas that should be left alone and other times they don't fence where it should be. It has been my largest and one of the few complaints I have about DJI drones... but it's a big enough deal that I'm seriously looking at Autel's near-future offerings.

Reactions: Authorized Customer
The problem is DJI knows people will fly without following and/or understanding FAA regulations and I guess DJI feels GEO Fencing adds a layer of safety. But it's kind of a false sense of security because people think as long as DJI allows the flight it must be OK when many times it isn't.

Reactions: Authorized Customer
As others have mentioned, you should not rely on DJI's "Fly Safe" maps for knowing where it is and is not legal to fly. You should only trust the FAA's approved LAANC providers, which are listed here: (LAANC is based on the UAS Facility Maps) https://www.faa.gov/uas/programs_partnerships/data_exchange/

Beyond that, you should also be aware of TFRs (especially those around stadiums or other events like airshows) and also be aware of state and local regulations that could dictate where it is permitted to take off, land, or operate a drone.

In my experience DJI's Fly Safe maps are bad because they sometimes say it's OK to fly where it's not, or sometimes say it's not OK to fly when in fact it is. Bottom line is, don't rely on them for the purpose of following any regulations pertaining to the FAA.

I really wish DJI would just get rid of them, they cause confusion surrounding where it is and is not permissible to fly.

Reactions: vindibona1
Perhaps you should look at a sectional map. I couldn't locate your position so can't comment, but outside of 5 miles from DFW there the Class B space is limited to higher altitudes where it is permissible to fly, perhaps requiring authorization, still flyable.
Thank you. I panned to the right a bit and zoomed in, and here is where I am talking about: SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts.

The area of concern has the word STADIUM on it. I attached an image with an arrow pointing to it. The stadium is Southern Methodist University's stadium and is the diamond on the other side of the highway (US 75), but the word is roughly in the middle of the area of concern. To the right of STADIUM is a blue arc that is just west of White Rock Lake. Within that area--west of White Rock Lake and east of the highway--I allowed to fly?

The blue arc roughly coincides with a prohibited-flight zone that I see on AirMap but does not at all correspond to what DJI Fly shows me.

Attachments

• 2021-10-09_21-23-37.png
    2021-10-09_21-23-37.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Thank you. It is disappointing that the app portends to alleviate my need to do that yet fails miserably at this!
Like driving a car on US highways, there are laws for flying a drone in US airspace.

You need to start here:

You'll probably go here next:

And here's the actual law that declares the carve out for recreational flyers like us:

The key line that grounds us in certain airspace is (5), and you appear to be in Class B airspace:
(5) In Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport, the operator obtains prior authorization from the Administrator or designee before operating and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.

And again, click this link to see the flight restrictions for your area:

The preview you see above is not showing what's at the link:
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
To view graphics of the mismatches between DJI and FAA restricted flight areas (and explanations) watch Greg at Pilot Institute’s video on obtaining clearance to fly in zero grids.

Reactions: MavicPeter
As others have mentioned, you should not rely on DJI's "Fly Safe" maps for knowing where it is and is not legal to fly. You should only trust the FAA's approved LAANC providers, which are listed here: (LAANC is based on the UAS Facility Maps) https://www.faa.gov/uas/programs_partnerships/data_exchange/

Beyond that, you should also be aware of TFRs (especially those around stadiums or other events like airshows) and also be aware of state and local regulations that could dictate where it is permitted to take off, land, or operate a drone.

In my experience DJI's Fly Safe maps are bad because they sometimes say it's OK to fly where it's not, or sometimes say it's not OK to fly when in fact it is. Bottom line is, don't rely on them for the purpose of following any regulations pertaining to the FAA.

I really wish DJI would just get rid of them, they cause confusion surrounding where it is and is not permissible to fly.
The frustration with FlySafe Geofencing is that it an extra, hoop to jump through, more intrusive adding the burden of time when LAANC authorization takes time but is quick and painless. Often, in my experience DJI fails to unlock the full authorized area restricting the ease of filming projects. It happened to me on my last 2 outings and locked me tighter than should have been when authorization was not required. One one of the projects I was authorized for .5km from center but in one direction was only provided 35m/120ft which almost killed my project but I was able to work around it.

Bottom line: I a rethinking my strategy because in this crazy time in this upside down world I don't know that I want to be fully beholden to a company that can brick my drone at any time for any reason.

Reactions: MavicPeter
Thank you. I panned to the right a bit and zoomed in, and here is where I am talking about: SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts.

The area of concern has the word STADIUM on it. I attached an image with an arrow pointing to it. The stadium is Southern Methodist University's stadium and is the diamond on the other side of the highway (US 75), but the word is roughly in the middle of the area of concern. To the right of STADIUM is a blue arc that is just west of White Rock Lake. Within that area--west of White Rock Lake and east of the highway--I allowed to fly?

The blue arc roughly coincides with a prohibited-flight zone that I see on AirMap but does not at all correspond to what DJI Fly shows me.
Class B airspace extends to the surface in the area of that stadium. Clearance would be required to fly it. See below, I’ve circled the B altitude, the floor is surface, the ceiling is 11,000 ft. (Add two zeros to the blue numbers)

A9685ECB-55CB-4CD2-8616-1E12851C7CC7.jpeg

0840A63B-73F8-4EBB-BD1B-30981F691C7B.pngIf you can figure out how to use the LAANC system, it looks like clearance could be easy to obtain. Most of that area looks like 400’ is permitted with clearance.

The two attached images are screenshots of DJI Fly and AirMap advising me of flight restrictions in Dallas, Texas's "East Dallas" area. As as reference, you can see White Rock Lake roughly in the middle of the right side.

The difference in indicated restrictions is striking. AirMap says virtually everything between US 75 (Central Expressway) and White Rock Lake is restricted airspace, whereas DJI Fly shows no restrictions for much of the area. DJI's restrictions start a few miles west of AirMap's.

This is FAA's official map, which backs up AirMap: ArcGIS Web Application

What is going on? Either DJI Fly is missing crucial information, or somehow those class B restrictions do not apply to me? I am using a DJI Mini 2, which appears to be restricted to 400 feet regardless? FAA's guidance is awful: dense and confusing. I am wondering if you thread the needle through them correctly, you end up with that if you have sub-250 gram drones, that you have more freedom to fly in restricted airspace that heavier drones don't?
No one should rely on DJI's maps anyway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett