DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

dji Fly app vs. dji Go 4 app

JimSteadman

Reactions
I have a Mavic Air and use the dji Go4 app for flying it. I also have a recently purchased mavic mini (recently bought new at a price I couldn't refuse) which uses the dji Fly app. I have used the MA for a couple of years and relied of Air Map to determine where I could fly without seeking permission from the FAA. I have hundreds of shots over our area. When needed, I apply for permission which has not been a problem. But with the Mini, I cannot fly in the very same areas due to the alleged need to apply for permission in advance. I am generally out very early in the AM often trying to get sunrise shots, and it is a real job to disconnect my phone from the controller to seek permission and, frankly, I can be standing in the same location where I have just flown the MA, but cannot take off with Mini. What is going on here?

Just use the FlySafe website to pre-unlock an area, download to the Fly app and then upload to the aircraft. You can then just take off, once at the site, without having to do any further authorizations other than possibly for LAANC.

Your unlock requests will show up here. (Safety => Unlock GEO Zone)
1644683075470.png

Reactions: Capt KO
It's not just the FAA FTC authorization that is needed, but the authorization so you can apply to DJI to get the geofenced area unlocked. Sadly, the DJI geofence often extends beyond where FTC authorization is needed, so it is wise to check the DJI Flysafe map to make sure that where you'll fly doesn't need unlocking. Yeah, a pain in the rectal area, which is why some folks are eyeing Autel.

Having said that, the Fly app has some features that I prefer over the Go4. DJI seems to have designated the Fly app as the one they want to develop and Go4 seems to be a legacy app now.

It's not just the FAA FTC authorization that is needed, but the authorization so you can apply to DJI to get the geofenced area unlocked. Sadly, the DJI geofence often extends beyond where FTC authorization is needed, so it is wise to check the DJI Flysafe map to make sure that where you'll fly doesn't need unlocking. Yeah, a pain in the rectal area, which is why some folks are eyeing Autel.

Having said that, the Fly app has some features that I prefer over the Go4. DJI seems to have designated the Fly app as the one they want to develop and Go4 seems to be a legacy app now.
Thanks!

Go 4 was sweet, FLY not so much, imo. Don’t know why it needs so much cpu power to function. Gets worse with each update, that’s forced or voids warranty. I just use litchi now when using my iPad mini 4 since Fly won’t work on it anymore.

Reactions: careless

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser