DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly App

• Thread starter Deleted member 109934
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109934

My SD card was showing error for some reason, so I recorded few movies to the app on my iPhone, I didn't have much space so iPhone got full quite quickly. I deleted videos from the Fly app Album, but that didn't really free any space. It still shows Fly App Takes 3GB of space and my phone is full. I checked "Recently Deleted" but it is empty... Any ideas on how to purge the app without deleting flight info data?

You probably still have cache video. Under Camera/Advanced Settings, you'll see cache settings towards the bottom. Minimum setting for auto delete is 2GB though.
Note that cache video is not of the same quality as what would be on the SD card onboard on the AC. If you're that low in space then perhaps turn off video caching. Unfortunately iOS devices don't have a slot for an SD card, or else you might have been able to send the cache to the SD card on the device.

Is your SD card U3 rated? Being that the mini only has a 40Mb/s bitrate, you'd think a U1 would suffice, but perhaps DJI is getting picky and insisting on U3 class, which is needed for the 100Mbs that the MA/M2 produce.
If you want to actually delete files, check out the VideoCache folder under the DJI Fly app.

You probably still have cache video. Under Camera/Advanced Settings, you'll see cache settings towards the bottom. Minimum setting for auto delete is 2GB though.
Note that cache video is not of the same quality as what would be on the SD card onboard on the AC. If you're that low in space then perhaps turn off video caching. Unfortunately iOS devices don't have a slot for an SD card, or else you might have been able to send the cache to the SD card on the device.

Is your SD card U3 rated? Being that the mini only has a 40Mb/s bitrate, you'd think a U1 would suffice, but perhaps DJI is getting picky and insisting on U3 class, which is needed for the 100Mbs that the MA/M2 produce.
If you want to actually delete files, check out the VideoCache folder under the DJI Fly app.

Thanks a lot for those tips, that is exactly what I was looking for.!!!

30 min later, I think DJI have messed up again :(

Yes, I had cache 2GB and one video in it, I deleted the cache, but it seems it did not purge, so now I disabled the cache but FLY app is still 2.4GB ... I have then cleared up entire cache (minus flight data, I do not want to lose it) restarted my iphone but fly app still takes 2.4GB despite the cache being deleted.
Looks like once you have that enabled it stays big like that, I would have to delete the app...

I bought brand new SanDisk extreme 64GB cards on sale for 17$ (score:)

I actually got 2x64GB instead of 1x128G and I'm planning to switch them each time I swap the battery, this way if something happens to the bird I will have at list last flight video (fault tolerance is my work "sickness" :) ), keeping everything on one 128GB card makes no sense in case of crash or ost bird.
since 1h video takes up only 15-16GB card is rated at 60Mb/s so it should be ok for 2.7 res.

i have never cached to device always have it disabled its pointless to me as the pictures are low res, and also it is using battery power on the device during the process

Did you look in all the folders under Fly?
In Go the subfolder is DJI_RECORD. I don't know if they have it as a different name in Fly, and Fly might not create the cache folder until one has cache video. I don't have a Mini so Fly might not have yet created the folder for me.

Go also lets you clear the cache. Fly seems to be missing that option.

Gentlemen, I really appreciate your help, this forum is full of absolutely amazing people with incredible knowledge. In a few days I have processed so much data my head is spinning, but I truly enjoy it.

I looked for DJI folders on my iPhone, and found:

DJI Fly folder and inside few folders like: (I just love digging arou

DJIRemovableCache
DJIMediaEditor
FlightRecords
Logs
RClog
Tmp
veMediaLibrary
videoCache
videoCacheCustom

It says 14 items 231MB available, all of the media/video folders are empty. It seems cache 2GB is enabled by default, once you start using it, it grows to 2GB and creates some kind of empty container ISO image, similar to not truncated database, it is empty inside but takes 2GB of space.
Once I have my flight logs saved I will delete the Fly app and reinstall it, disabling default cache option. I will let you know how it went, I'm thinking this will do the trick.

Once I open DJI Fly and go to: Profile -> Settings-> Clear Cache there are options to clear 6 different caches, I "cleared" Photo and Video it shows 0B but dji FLY app still takes 2.4 GB of space...

Reactions: scooot
I synced the flights and deleted the app from iPhone, reinstalled it and now Fly App is 239MB!!! I got 2GB back.

Will disable cache in settings as per recommendation and hopefully, my storage problem will be solved:)

I only lost yesterday 3 flights form the cloud, apparently they did not synchronize despite the fact I did hit sync button 10 times :), previous flights did sync. But I have offline backup anyway of all flights.

Thank you again for the tips, they save literally hours of poking around. I really enjoy this forum so much, you can rarely see so many smart people willing to share the information.

I'll have to look into this when I get my Mini.
If the iOS says app is using 2GB, it should be under one of the app folders.

Maybe the iOS lost track of the files involved, making the space orphaned.

Did you look in all the folders under Fly?
In Go the subfolder is DJI_RECORD. I don't know if they have it as a different name in Fly, and Fly might not create the cache folder until one has cache video. I don't have a Mini so Fly might not have yet created the folder for me.

Go also lets you clear the cache. Fly seems to be missing that option.
Why are you responding to questions about the Mini when you don't even have one? At least preface, "I don't know anything firsthand about the Mini, but..." Or, better yet, wait a few days 'til you get yours.

Why are you responding to questions about the Mini when you don't even have one? At least preface, "I don't know anything firsthand about the Mini, but..." Or, better yet, wait a few days 'til you get yours.

Not being insensitive, this man knows more about mini that most people will ever learn. I guess you do not have to own every drone to have drone experience...Do car mechanics own all the cars, no, but really good mechanics can fix any car that rolls in, because they know and deeply understand how cars work.

Software is similar between other drones and he knows his stuff really well, he saved me hours in research in just a few days, I would be looking for certain stuff all over the net.

I'll have to look into this when I get my Mini.
If the iOS says app is using 2GB, it should be under one of the app folders.

Maybe the iOS lost track of the files involved, making the space orphaned.

I think you are right, here is what I did once:

I landed the drone and turned it off while camera was still recording...(I know I'm slow...), not only video was corrupted, but I think app lost the indexing of it.

I managed to save the file bit VLC mpg recovery, but after deletion, somehow fly app was still convinced file is there despite all the folders being empty. This seems like a minor bug. Hitting clear cache should reindex and truncate the DB and free up all the space, especially on iPhone file system.

Not being insensitive, this man knows more about mini that most people will ever learn. I guess you do not have to own every drone to have drone experience...Do car mechanics own all the cars, no, but really good mechanics can fix any car that rolls in, because they know and deeply understand how cars work.

Software is similar between other drones and he knows his stuff really well, he saved me hours in research in just a few days, I would be looking for certain stuff all over the net.
Thanks man!

It's true I could provide deeper insight if I have one, and I should have mine by early next week, but I do have a talent for using applied knowledge. That's how I manage to be good at solving IT problems.

Reactions: old man mavic
I think you are right, here is what I did once:

I landed the drone and turned it off while camera was still recording...(I know I'm slow...), not only video was corrupted, but I think app lost the indexing of it.

I managed to save the file bit VLC mpg recovery, but after deletion, somehow fly app was still convinced file is there despite all the folders being empty. This seems like a minor bug. Hitting clear cache should reindex and truncate the DB and free up all the space, especially on iPhone file system.
When you forget to stop recording when powering off, just power it back on with the SD card installed and it should finalize the recording. That's been the solution since Phantom 3.

When you forget to stop recording when powering off, just power it back on with the SD card installed and it should finalize the recording. That's been the solution since Phantom 3.

THIS is exactly what I'm talking about!!! (no new MM owner would know that, and manual does not say it...., to recover video yesterday took me 30min... and all it takes is trick above!)

I did it again today... (was flying today with another pilot which I met on this forum!) and just saved really awesome long-range very windy condition video.

BIG thanks for this tip!

You're welcome. I'm surprised it's not in the manual. It definitely was in the P3 manual, and pretty sure in the M2 manual.

OK, I now have my MM, did a test flight with recording on my iPad. MP4 cache video file was in a subfolder under videoCache. I only did one recording but it appears each recording session creates it's own subfolder who's name represents date/time of recording.
Under that folder is a .thumbnail file, .info file and the .MP4 video file.

I learned I really don't like iOS. Not finding any way to natively show video specs of the video file, such as resolution, fps and bitrate.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS