DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly Doesn't Show Relative Drone Position

ScottNH

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi. Still relatively new to my MA2, and still learning DJI Fly.

I'm running v.1.5.10 (on both IOS and Android devices) with my Mavic Air 2, and I noticed the Drone position indicator at the bottom of the screen...isn't there.

Specifically, this guy here:

Mavic-Mini-Take-Off-Screen-1742x840.jpeg

Here's a screenshot of DJI Fly running on my iPad (iOS 15.4):

IMG_1743.PNG

And on my Zenpad Z8S (Android 7.0):

Screenshot_20220321-101021.jpg

Did I accidentally turn off this somewhere in Settings? I've looked by cannot find it if I did.

Was it removed from a later version of DJI Fly?

Thanks for the help.

Scott

If you tap the map in the bottom left corner, it can be used as a map or a compass.

I used to use the map but once I learned how to use the compass I use that exclusively.

This is a good overview of how it works. It's not totally intuitive, but once you understand it it's very useful.

Thanks for the info. All the videos/guides I've been reading must be based on an older version of the software, showing the indicator at the bottom of the screen. I need to do better research.

I'm still wondering what the blue triangle does on the blue circle, which represents where the controller is in relation to HP. I've read the manuals, but thought I had read something about it, but can't remember where I saw that info. The triangle doesn't seem to 'point' or give any useful information. Anyone know? Thanks, T

Reactions: maggior
I'm still wondering what the blue triangle does on the blue circle, which represents where the controller is in relation to HP. I've read the manuals, but thought I had read something about it, but can't remember where I saw that info. The triangle doesn't seem to 'point' or give any useful information. Anyone know? Thanks, T

The tiny blue triangle represents which direction the controller is pointing. So if you signal is getting weak, you can use that to ensure that you are aiming the controller at the drone. When you are pointed at the drone that tiny blue triangle will turn green.

Keep in mind that the compass used for the orientation of the remote is the compass in your phone, so if it isn't calibrated correctly it won't point correctly. Even so, the original Smart Controller (mine anyways) is off even after calibrating. So when using my Smart Controller, I fine tune how I have my controller pointed by getting the small triangle to turn green.

The tiny blue triangle represents which direction the controller is pointing. So if you signal is getting weak, you can use that to ensure that you are aiming the controller at the drone. When you are pointed at the drone that tiny blue triangle will turn green.

Keep in mind that the compass used for the orientation of the remote is the compass in your phone, so if it isn't calibrated correctly it won't point correctly. Even so, the original Smart Controller (mine anyways) is off even after calibrating. So when using my Smart Controller, I fine tune how I have my controller pointed by getting the small triangle to turn green.
Also some devices don't have built in compass so that feature will never be accurate with those devices.

OK, I'm using the Smart Controller, not the Pro version, and I don't get the triangle to point to the drone or turn green. I've calibrated the compass in the Smart Controller, as well as the MA2, but no joy. Not near metal when calibrating, full battery, 12 satellites, drone 200 feet away, HP and my position 50 feet apart. Just doesn't want to point to the drone. I get the blue triangle, but no matter which direction I turn away from the drone the triangle doesn't point to it. Is it possible to pair the drone with my iphone, but control it with the SC?, as a test to see if I can get the triangle to point.

The Blue Triangle is the drone and will point the direction is flying. The Blue Dot is the Remote Control (operator position) the Yellow H is the Home Point and the Black N on a a white circle represents the North.

Great vid, and I understand thoroughly the operation of the attitude indicator. But, my blue triangle NEVER points to the drone, EVER. Very frustrating, but will have to live with this one. T

Great vid, and I understand thoroughly the operation of the attitude indicator. But, my blue triangle NEVER points to the drone, EVER. Very frustrating, but will have to live with this one. T
It can't because the blue triangle is the drone.

The blue arrowhead represents the drone, not the controller.
It's showing you the direction that the drone is pointing.

Fly your drone out a way in front of you and rotate the drone while watching the display to get a better idea.

No, I'm talking about the blue triangle that is on the perimeter of the blue circle. The blue circle represents my location (assuming the SController is in my hands). There's a blue triangle attached to that, and it is supposed to point to the drone.

Reactions: Torque
No, I'm talking about the blue triangle that is on the perimeter of the blue circle. The blue circle represents my location (assuming the SController is in my hands). There's a blue triangle attached to that, and it is supposed to point to the drone.
You are correct. I actually checked mine yesterday and it points as it should. As it gets about 10 degrees or so of the drone direction, it tuens green. RC Pro

Reactions: Torque
The compass in the controller tablet can be deflected by magnetic fields that are part of teh controller.
Calibrating the controller compass (not the drone's compass) might sort that out for you.

OK, I'm using the Smart Controller, not the Pro version, and I don't get the triangle to point to the drone or turn green. I've calibrated the compass in the Smart Controller, as well as the MA2, but no joy. Not near metal when calibrating, full battery, 12 satellites, drone 200 feet away, HP and my position 50 feet apart. Just doesn't want to point to the drone. I get the blue triangle, but no matter which direction I turn away from the drone the triangle doesn't point to it. Is it possible to pair the drone with my iphone, but control it with the SC?, as a test to see if I can get the triangle to point.
The compass in the controller tablet can be deflected by magnetic fields that are part of teh controller.
Calibrating the controller compass (not the drone's compass) might sort that out for you.
Sounds like the internal compass may be fudged up. Could possibly be firmware or a bad controller. I'd redo the firmware and then re-calibrate and see if it persists.

Last edited:

The RM500, aka Smart Controller, the compass or interface is seriously broken and never points correctly. Someone has hypothesized the SC firmware is responsible. I've returned my SC for DJI to look at and they returned a new SC, that has the exact same problem. Of course, they claim both SC's don't have any issue and ignore my questions and evidence the controller dot arrow is not working correctly.

Loading a compass app is one way to show the issue. On the SC, a compass app always shows 90 degrees off ... point the SC north and the compass app reports 90 off north. And, calibrating the compass does nothing to help.

A few images showing the issue.

1647929825522.png
1647929880631.png

1647929766396.png

Last edited:
All the videos/guides I've been reading must be based on an older version of the software, showing the indicator at the bottom of the screen
Exactly. They replaced it a while ago, I have my drone for 8 months now, and back when I started it already was the new one, so I don't know when they changed it to the new compass but it definitely has been a while.
To open the new compass you click on the map, and in the map window (while it is small, not fullscreen) there is a button that switches it to a compass, and then there is a button that changes it back to map if it is in compass mode.

Thanks, All, I was about to send it back to DJI. It must be frustrating that they don't admit their controller has an issue. Hopefully someday it'll be addressed in an update, but at least it's good to know I'm not the only one with this issue. T

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair