DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly vs DJI Go4

naiku

Reactions
A few months back I sold my Mavic 2 Pro due to lack of use, of course, I pretty much regret that continually given how excellent a piece of equipment it is. Lately I have been considering picking up an Air 2S (I had a Mavic Air 1 before the 2 Pro).

As I understand it, the Air 2S uses DJI Fly, where as my 2 Pro and Air 1 both used DJI Go 4. I've had a brief exposure to DJI Fly, my son owned a Mavic Mini for a short time, and it seemed very minimal compared to the information available in DJI Go4. For those that have switched or used Go4, how does DJI Fly compare? Are you happy enough with DJI Fly? Just curious really, ultimately I know it will work fine, just curious for some opinions / comparisons.

Thanks.

A few months back I sold my Mavic 2 Pro due to lack of use, of course, I pretty much regret that continually given how excellent a piece of equipment it is. Lately I have been considering picking up an Air 2S (I had a Mavic Air 1 before the 2 Pro).

As I understand it, the Air 2S uses DJI Fly, where as my 2 Pro and Air 1 both used DJI Go 4. I've had a brief exposure to DJI Fly, my son owned a Mavic Mini for a short time, and it seemed very minimal compared to the information available in DJI Go4. For those that have switched or used Go4, how does DJI Fly compare? Are you happy enough with DJI Fly? Just curious really, ultimately I know it will work fine, just curious for some opinions / comparisons.

Thanks.
I personally prefer DJI Go 4. Some of the functions of DJI Go 4 are missing from the Fly App and it just seems very minimal. From what I've heard, there are also a few bugs in it, but I've never experienced those although I could never figure out where to find the battery level.

Reactions: Loonie01
I loath the slider button limit adjusters of fly, they are so difficult to set accurately, it almost makes it seem like a kid's toy, I MUCH prefer Go4.
There may be some improvements to FLY now that it is having to cater for the M3 but only time will tell. Ditto whether or not any improvement will extend to 'lesser', earlier models of drone, the added EXP does but that's all I have tested.

I loath the slider button limit adjusters of fly, they are so difficult to set accurately, it almost makes it seem like a kid's toy, I MUCH prefer Go4.
My thoughts exactly. Making changes to any of the camera settings in particular is just atrocious but you learn to deal with it.

I started with the Spark and the Go4 app.

I purchased the MA2 that uses the FLY app.

I like the Go4 layout, but what can you do about it?

If I want to fly, I have to use the app intended for it.

The Litchi app may offer a solution to flying between the two apps as a compromise. 🤔

@naiku the first iteration of the fly app was extremely simplistic, after having gotten used to the GO4 App ,but this was when the original MM first came out and if you had never flown a drone with the GO4 then you would have been none the wiser
then gradually as other drones in the Mavic line have been added ,for use by the fly App then things are improving with every update
it still lacks some features that we have all come to know and love ,but now that the M3 has been released, i am sure it wont be long before it improves even more
and a lot of the feedback that DJI gets from their Product users ,has and will continue to move the Fly App in the right direction

Good to know it has been slowly improving, the version I used with a Mavic Mini was pretty awful compared to Go4.

Reactions: old man mavic
I think it's making fun of users completely, not to have planned data entry with a digital keyboard instead of those very difficult to adjust sliders, Dji has entrusted the writing of this software to beginners, It is not possible otherwise !

Reactions: careless
Post number six hits it on the head.
The folks that have never used the Go4 are trying to understand what this conversation is about. And there are lots of those out there thanks to all the newer products available from DJI. At times, I wish I was one of them, but then I think of all the fun I would have missed!

I just added the A2S to my collection. I didn't realize (duhh) that the 2 were different. I did notice that the features I was accustomed to using on Go4 were missing. I'll have to check it out. I just used what popped up on the smart controller thou I did notice that the Go4 app is in the menu.

Reactions: old man mavic
Someone recently posted that they flew a new A2s with Go4 but barely recovered the drone. Don't try it. As said, Litchi works as an inexpensive alternative. Personally prefer Litchi to Fly and works on more devices as Fly is power hungry since recent updates. Overloads the cpu on some devices that will run Go4.

The Fly App was never designed for anything in the commercial sphere. It was a huge disappointment that the Mavic 3 is tied to Fly.

Many of us who have the ear of DJI folks have complained. Both loudly and often. I've backed off of public complaints (for the most part), because one of my contacts told me "2022 will be a great year for DJI" when I flat out asked him if Fly was going to be given a makeover to make it more user friendly and robust. You can read into that statement however you want. But given the source, I have some pretty strong hope that DJI will make things right.

Now, if only they would do something about the braking on the M3...

Reactions: Moozer and Defens
And all this time I thought it was only me! I had gotten so used to the DJI Go4 for my Mavic 2 Pro that when I got the Mavic Mini 2, I could barely fly the (Mod Removed Language) thing with the DJI Fly app. Everything seemed so crowded, there was no aperture control, the lower right hand corner congestion of controls confused the hell out of me, and I finally got rid of the entire mess by selling it after 4 or 5 months. It is the fly app that is keeping me from getting the M3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to make the switch to Fly when I got the M3. It has been a disappointment compared to Go4. I do hope that the future changes in Fly are as good as some hint are coming.

Reactions: Desert Drone Works
I fly both apps, the Go 4 and the Fly. I like them both, but I like the new controller far better than the controller for the Mavic Air 1.
Let's face it, the Lumix mirrorless, My Pentax DSLR, especially the screen menu on the Osmo pocket2, and the cameras that we all use... all have menu's that require practice, regular use, and constant review.
I prefer linear EXP settings, and I was surprised to see that the EXP settings come with a default curve on the FLY app.
The ADS B now shows distance and altitude in ft. I'm used to distance being shown by rings on the screen, but that would clutter our already info packed screen.
At 82 is seems like every time you turn around someone changes the rules ;)

Reactions: MA2 317
Post number six hits it on the head.
The folks that have never used the Go4 are trying to understand what this conversation is about. And there are lots of those out there thanks to all the newer products available from DJI. At times, I wish I was one of them, but then I think of all the fun I would have missed!
Also goes the other way - I’ve only ever used Go4 - have no idea what GoFly is like.

They propably named it Fly when some tester got fed up to its limits and gave flying lesson to toyphone it was installed on...

I fully accept the need for simple control interface for complete beginners or those who just want to fly with minimal effort.
But that shouldn't be done by crippling/handicapping everyone else to that level!
(something also Microsoft's management should be told in R. Lee Ermey style)

Air 2S itself is lot more capable drone for photos/videos than original Mavic Pro/Platinum and good for those having high priority on light weight/small size.
So it shouldn't be dumbed down.

Reactions: Dan AISCF and Starz

Thanks.
How about posting feature requests to DJI and everyone in this forum “like” them to push the priority?

Thread 'How to: Make a feature request with DJI...'
How to: Make a feature request with DJI...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143