DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Flysafe Approval Problems (admin edited)

Kent Lewis

Reactions
I have yet to get the DJI Flysafe LAANC to work. I go through the whole process until I get to the part where they ask for my phone number. About half the time it comes back telling me that the phone number is wrong. So I start over from scratch and it takes me through again and it takes the phone number and tells me i have successfully received my authorization. But when I hook everything up and check the app, the authorization is not there. Interestingly enough, I do have an authorization with the wrong serial number.

Speaking of the serial number, the one I have been using is the one on the box, which i assumed is the drone’s S/N. But on the website they are asking for the controller S/N. I think the instructions some place said the number can be found on the box, but now I am wondering.

I should add that i am trying this on an iPad not a computer, but half the time I am still getting the the approval. I hope an iPad will work because that is all I have when traveling

Last edited:
FlySafe is not LAANC - are you trying to get a DJI Authorization Zone set up, or are you trying to get LAANC authorization to fly in controlled airspace?

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Kittyhawk has been very useful for my flights on C and D airspace. The requests are answered fast as a phone text. I concur with iaincaradoc, DJI Authorization Zone is not remotely like LAANC. Actually I never need so far to unlock a DJI Auth Zone to fly in controlled airspace.

I have yet to get the DJI Flysafe LAANC to work.
As already mentioned these are two completely different things. LAANC is authorization from the FAA (through an authorized third party) to fly in controlled airspace. DJI unlock is a procedure to allow the drone to fly in an area that DJI feels is in controlled airspace (which is not always accurate).

But on the website they are asking for the controller S/N.
This is misleading wording. It is NOT the remote controller S/N. It is the flight controller (the main board inside the drone) that they need. That is basically the drone S/N.

If you are obtaining your authorization on the website in advance, you still need to download the unlock license to the drone. Otherwise nothing happens. Read the instructions on the site.

I edited the thread title to make it accurate to the problem at hand.

I thought that Flysafe was LAANC because DJI is listed as an approved service supplier on the FAAs LAANC web page. How does that differ from Kittyhawk? Is there a good source for me to study to learn the difference?

But, to answer Iaincaradoc’s question, I am trying to set up a DJI Authorization Zone. Although I may be making to much of this because I have had no problem unlocking it within the app on site.

Last edited:
DJI is APPROVED but not yet functional. You'll need to use Kittyhawk or one of the others listed to get FAA Approval.

I thought that Flysafe was LAANC because DJI is listed as an approved service supplier on the FAAs LAANC web page. How does that differ from Kittyhawk? Is there a good source for me to study to learn the difference?

But, to answer Iaincaradoc’s question, I am trying to set up a DJI Authorization Zone. Although I may be making to much of this because I have had no problem unlocking it within the app on site.

I can't think of any real resources, other than that getting unlocked in the DJI app does *not* mean that you have FAA approval to fly wherever you are. You need LAANC or DroneZone approval to fly in controlled airspace. You can do that through AirMap or KittyHawk.

It is entirely possible to get a DJI Authorization Zone unlocked and still be *way* outside FAA regulations for whatever particular airspace you're wanting to fly in.[/QUOTE]

Thank you all for helping me understand the difference between LAANC and DJI Authorization.

But now I have a new problem. The last two or three times I have tried to fly, the Authorization Zone has taken several tries to unlock. I go to the unlock screen, check all the boxes, and get a screen that says it is unlocked. But it isn’t. Yesterday, it finally unlocked but after a couple of minutes flying it landed itself and locked again. After several more tries it again unlocked and flew fine for the rest of the day. Any ideas?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242