DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI FPV or Mavic Air 2?

Good question! I have an MA2 and an Mini 2 now. I’d been saving for the mythical Mavic 3 but am now tempted by the FPV because of the immersive flying experience of FPV is intriguing. I don’t understand the legal restrictions (United States) of flying FPV with googles - because one can’t see the drone with googles in place I’m assuming a completely legal flight protocol would require an observer to watch the drone while it was piloted by a second person. That would make casual flying of an FPV drone less convenient and could influence my decision. To be clear, I don’t mean to suggest that there is anything wrong with a requirement for an observer when pilot flies with googles. Rather it is my ignorance that causes me to suggest this might be a consideration.

Howard

Reactions: NG Wildman
Ultimately this question always comes down to what do you really want to do? Do you want to fly fast and wear googles all the time? Or do you want to capture photos and videos of places you visit where you can fly in those places? If you want to do both activities get both.. Sure you can get some cool video on the FPV, but its limited in comparison to a MA2.. (IMHO)

Course unless your the most cautious FPV Flyer on the planet, like most of the reviewers, they crashed it.. So maybe 3, an MA2 for some regular video/photo flying and two FPV's one for backup... just break out the CC with the high credit limit and get DJI Refresh and perhaps a backup policy to boot...

As a long time pilot of airplanes with an absolute aversion to low flying in tight place I have zero.. 0! interest in FPV drones. you ask for an opinion and that's mine. It hasn't changed in many thousand hours.

I also have the MA2 and a mini and am interested in the FPV, it looks like a lot of fun. However, I don’t think it would replace either one of my drones, it would be an addition to my fleet with characteristics the other two don’t have.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Why not just do this....

Whole lot cheaper and virtually indestructible.

FPV.

As a long time pilot of airplanes with an absolute aversion to low flying in tight place I have zero.. 0! interest in FPV drones.

There's a good reason to have an aversion to low flying when you're actually inside - that's why we do FPV, allows to do the kind of flying you wouldn't do otherwise since the occasional "oops" only results in a bit of broken equipment :)

Reactions: hiflyer201
, allows to do the kind of flying you wouldn't do otherwise since the occasional "oops" only results in a bit of broken equipment :)
I know...I thought that when I started flying drones..then I realized that I felt as bad if I put a scratch on my little Spark as if it have been a real plane. I'm just not cut out for FPV I guess.

Ultimately this question always comes down to what do you really want to do? Do you want to fly fast and wear googles all the time? Or do you want to capture photos and videos of places you visit where you can fly in those places? If you want to do both activities get both.. Sure you can get some cool video on the FPV, but its limited in comparison to a MA2.. (IMHO)

Course unless your the most cautious FPV Flyer on the planet, like most of the reviewers, they crashed it.. So maybe 3, an MA2 for some regular video/photo flying and two FPV's one for backup... just break out the CC with the high credit limit and get DJI Refresh and perhaps a backup policy to boot...
Yes i fly FPV racing drones as well as my MA2. With FPV you find that you push yourself to get through that small gap in the trees or try new tricks and ultimately you do crash! I dont think I'd like to crash the dji one much!!
Although it doesn't look like the sort of drone you'd push!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S