DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI FPV with Traxxas R/C Vehicles - Is it Feasible?

Cyber3xpert

Reactions
I've been toying with the idea of combining the best of both worlds - Traxxas and DJI - to create the ultimate racing machine. If there was some way to integrate the truck's power to efficiently feed the camera and transmitting unit, you would basically have a drone on the ground. As anyone with an R/C car or truck knows, if you can't see your vehicle, you can neither correctly nor safely control it. With a live FPV feed, you would have an advantage over any rocks or hills that may obstruct your VLOS.

Traxxas transmitters can really go a long distance in regard to R/C trucks, but usually it isn't out of VLOS, so the DJI FPV transmitter wouldn't have a problem getting the feed to you with its enormous transmit distance. The real problem would be durability and protection for the camera unit. Traxxas trucks can take a lot of crashes, but with an FPV unit that costs as much as DJI charges for it, it would be prudent to invest in insurance at the least, but there must be a tough defense against flips, hard landings, crashes, all that.

Another problem would be a frame mount for the FPV unit, in a place that you can poke through the plastic body cover without worrying about camera breakage. One possible place is the very front of the truck, behind the bumper, where the grille would be on the body. This is where you 3-D printing experts would come in. You guys would be in the perfect position to test and experiment with different designs.

So I don't know if this is a feasible prospect, but it'd be cool to see. Let me know what you think!

Cyber3xpert

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ