DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go 4 and 18:9 screen smartphones

danielep

Reactions
Hi all,

I recently bought a new MPP to replace my fantastic P3A, and from the drone point of view everything is going great.
I recently also bought a Galaxy S8, which works very well with DJI Go4 apart from a small problem:
due to the fact that the display is 18:9 instead of 16:9, the image that you see while you record a video is cropped (the upper half centimeter and the lower half centimeter are outside of the screen, since it is narrower than a standard 16:9 screen).
Because of that it is difficult to frame perfectly the image and know what is in the frame and what is not.

Obviously this problem is not present if you use a 16:9 smartphone, like the Galaxy S7.. but I don't want to buy a second phone only for that!

Is there a way to force it to show me a 16:9 screen instead of a cropped 18:9? (maybe with black bars on the left and right side..)

Thanks!
Daniele

Hmmm, I have an S8 and have never experienced this issue. Sometime, like for example, watching videos, you can pinch-zoom to zoom the video in/out. Might be worth a try. But I'll test this now on GO4....

Nope, no top/side cropping. Tried at all resolutions. I did get a tiny bit of cropping at the four corners, but that's only because the screen is curved at these extremes. I also put the grid lines on and I could see the top and side lines clearly.

You can pinch/zoom in the GO4 app, try pinch-zoom outwards - should be at zoom x1.0.

Also, you might want to check the resolution of your phone's screen - I keep it at WQHD.

Hmmm, I have an S8 and have never experienced this issue. Sometime, like for example, watching videos, you can pinch-zoom to zoom the video in/out. Might be worth a try. But I'll test this now on GO4....

Tried also to pinch-to-zoom, nothing happened. If you slide up with one finger to hide all the numeric data it becomes more evident: there are slices of the image missing on the top and on the bottom because the app tries to fit the screen in a horizontal way

Nope, no top/side cropping. Tried at all resolutions. I did get a tiny bit of cropping at the four corners, but that's only because the screen is curved at these extremes. I also put the grid lines on and I could see the top and side lines clearly.

You can pinch/zoom in the GO4 app, try pinch-zoom outwards - should be at zoom x1.0.

Also, you might want to check the resolution of your phone's screen - I keep it at WQHD.

probably I did not explain myself good. It is intrinsic in the shape of the display.
I will share a screenshot later with a better explaination

Reactions: tictag
I got a second phone to make the screenshots. Here attached the two examples, taken with the Mavic sitting on the table and absolutely not moved.

1) Screenshot from Galaxy S8 (18:9 screen)
2) Screenshot from Galaxy S7 (16:9 screen)

You can see clearly that a lot of the image is missing in the S8 view. The bottom part of the table and the top part of the door/window are not visible (but they are recorded if you make a video).

No solutions to have the same field of view on the S8?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180425-193225.jpg
    Screenshot_20180425-193225.jpg
    927 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20180425-193402.png
    Screenshot_20180425-193402.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
On your phone try....
Settings, Display, Full screen Apps. Then uncheck DJI Go. See if that helps

Thanks, already tried but the option is greyed out, since the app is already optimized for this screen by the developers.

Any other option? Nobody is facing the same problem?

I’m trying many ways but no results..
Is it a problem just for me? Not having the complete frame in the screen is very stupid from a movie making point of view. Why dji did that?

Just to let everyone know: did not find solutions for the S8.

For various reasons I bought an S9+, and the problem on this device is not existing: I see a full 16:9 picture with black bars on the sides, perfect!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC