DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI GO 4 App crash

Aero

Reactions
While flying in an area that have piloted in numerous times, I encountered a crash of the GO 4 app. The drone, luckily, was only a few yards away from me but it just hovered and did nothing.

I have never encountered this before and was able to leave the drone hovering while I restarted the app. The app synced back up, telemetry data was restored, and I immediately landed. All components were restarted and the issue has not repeated.

My question is this: has anyone encountered this before and if so. What does the drone typically do? I assume the controller would still work but I would be flying blind so to speak.

The display device is an Nvidia Shield Tablet (Android)

Thanks

We’re there any recent software updates installed on any of your equipment?
Several similar cases in other threads. I understand your concerns, but if it doesn’t happen frequently I would not be concerned as long as you’re flying by FAA rules, especially if the bird just hovers. Be sure you have RTH set up to handle this typ if problem.

Reactions: Aero
Check to see if your Return to Home is set to Hover. Sounds like the Remote Controller was still connected even though DJIGO4 crashed. If this was the case then you would have been able to manually fly the Mavic using just the remote controller.

I have had this happen at 14000' out using an android tablet. Flew it home with the controller only. Kept turning and going forward until I saw my distance decline. Kept flying at 150' height because I know the area. App did not reconnect until I was 500 ft away. I switched to an ipad and haven't had a problem since.

Jeff

Reactions: Turn11 and WAXMAN
This has only happened once with me on my CS monitor, Go4 app for some reason crashed, I knew I still had control of the drone via the screen on the controller but it is a scary situation to be in. Rebooted the app, all back to normal. Never happened again, not got a clue what cause it though?

Reactions: Aero
I have had this happen at 14000' out using an android tablet. Flew it home with the controller only. Kept turning and going forward until I saw my distance decline. Kept flying at 150' height because I know the area. App did not reconnect until I was 500 ft away. I switched to an ipad and haven't had a problem since.

Jeff
That was a smart way to orient the drone so you can fly back to your location. I'll remember that. Thanks!

Reactions: CJH92474
Check to see if your Return to Home is set to Hover. Sounds like the Remote Controller was still connected even though DJIGO4 crashed. If this was the case then you would have been able to manually fly the Mavic using just the remote controller.
I did check the settings and the RTH is set to fly back at my preferred altitude. Perhaps the drone does not consider an app crash critical. Since I assume the controller was working, it didnt recognize it as an emergency issue?

I've never had problems with my K1 but this happened using my Nexus so i don't fly with it anymore. It reset itself and I lost RC during flight and my bird went into RTH. On the flight log it just stops when the tablet reset but in the video you can see it flying right into a power line. Hasn't happened since.

If the app crashed but the rc remained connected there was no trigger for RTH. The app is not essential for flying your drone while a connection to the rc is.

Reactions: WAXMAN
I did check the settings and the RTH is set to fly back at my preferred altitude. Perhaps the drone does not consider an app crash critical. Since I assume the controller was working, it didnt recognize it as an emergency issue?

If you looked down at the Remote Controller and it still had all the telemetry data listed then the Remote Controller maintained connection so no RTH was initiated. I just wanted you to double check and make sure Return To Home rather then Hover.

I have had app crash on me once, and phone disconnecting multiple times (cable issues). Remote controlled stayed connected and I was able to control and land the drone using the remote controller; that I could see the aircraft helped greatly. Flight control remains unaffected as long as the remote is connected to the aircraft. However, it seems that any recording session you had going ends when the phone disconnects or app crashes. Not sure why that happens.

Jeff
Jeff, would activating RTH on the RC have helped in your situation? Just wondering as this has happened to me before but a lot closer to home.

It may have worked but winds were about 15 knots so I chose to fly it home to ensure I made it back at 30mph instead of the RTH speed.

Jeff

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N