DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go 4 app crashing regularly - Samsung S7 Edge

Falcon1az

Reactions
I've got about 50 flights on my Mavic Pro. All successful i.e. one takeoff and one landing per flight.

The issue I struggle with is the app crashes too frequently. Samsung S7 (in airplane mode, no other apps open).

Contacted DJI - the first round advise was to try my Samsung charge cable with the center USB port on the RC. That lasted 3 minutes before the app crashed again.

The next round of advise is to:
- Download and install dji assistant 2 software on your computer.
- Connect the aircraft then refresh the firmware.
- Connect the RC then restore factory settings.
- Initiate IMU and Gimbal calibration before flight.
- Test the unit.

I'll give this a try tomorrow morning. Would like feedback - has anyone had reliably steady or solid performance from DJI Go 4 on a Samsung S7 Edge (or other Samsung device for that matter)?

....has anyone had reliably steady or solid performance from DJI Go 4 on a Samsung S7 Edge...?
600 plus flights here. All with S7 Edge. Has been rock solid for me since December when early 4.x version were problematic.

Differences could be because:-
- I have not updated to Adroid 7.x Nougat. I am still running Marshmallow 6.01.
- I religiously start DJIGo4 by plugging the USB cable into the side of the RC to trigger app launch. If flying I never launch DJIGo4 by icon tap.

Apart from that, I kill all apps as you do. I don't switch to Airplane mode and sometimes even take calls mid flight. I do turn off Wifi though.

Reactions: Falcon1az
Without any doubt, no question - DJI Go 4 is the most unstable app on my phone. Absolutely, reliably unstable.
Having said that - DJI Go 4 is a very cool app.

For me it is absolutely stable, reliably - never crashes.

What version of Android do you run?

I try to remember to close out all the other apps on my phone while im flying. Not sure it makes a bit of difference but couldnt hurt. Probably uses less battery if nothing else. Im using a Samsun On5

I use an iPhone 6+ and never have had a problem with it crashing, nor have I had the Litchi app crash. I don't turn my WIFI off, but maybe I should just to be sure. I think I'll just start putting it on Airplane Mode.

I have a s7 edge to with the same problem after 5 minutes in the air the app crashes. Try a lot of different things and nothing worked. I just got an iPad instead and so far no problems at all. Too bad that s7 edge didn't work tough.

No surprises, DJI go app has some compatibility issues with android. These will be the home work for DJI, I believe they will rectify them soon.

I've been using a Samsung S7 since I first got the Mavic (Feb. 2). The phone was running Marshmallow to start with and is now on Nougat. I have never had an app crash or craft disconnect while in flight. Running DJI GO 4 v 4.07 since it was released about a week ago. Mavic was built 1/18/17 and is currently on Ver. 01.03.0600
I also use a Samsung TabA 7.0 (Lolipop) and until recently, that device hasn't been so stable. However; the latest Mavic firmware and latest DJI GO4 app is turning out to also be stable.
As far as Android not working, it seems funny that DJI is using it for their new CrystalSky dedicated tablet, if it's that flaky. I guess we'll see . . .

Version 7 Nougat
Given that others with Nougat like @R72-MT are not having issues, if I was in your situation I would do a clean install of DJIGo4. First back up your flights by syncing flight records within DJIGo4.
By clean I mean delete the app, then manually go into Myfiles>DeviceStorage and delete the entire DJI folder. Little to lose and may fix things for you.

Given that others with Nougat like @R72-MT are not having issues, if I was in your situation I would do a clean install of DJIGo4. First back up your flights by syncing flight records within DJIGo4.
By clean I mean delete the app, then manually go into Myfiles>DeviceStorage and delete the entire DJI folder. Little to lose and may fix things for you.
Yeah, I've had the app crash as many as 4 times in a single 20 min flight. Very unstable. Good tip - I may give it a go.

I have the same problem but I'm using a sony xperia Z5. Like a lot of others, it all started happening when I went to android 7. I've tried just about everything, from Airplane mode, re-install and even turning the screen auto-rotate off. But nothing seems to work. Hopefully DJI release an update that fixes the issue. Or else I might have to try Litchi.

I have the same problem but I'm using a sony xperia Z5. Like a lot of others, it all started happening when I went to android 7. I've tried just about everything, from Airplane mode, re-install and even turning the screen auto-rotate off. But nothing seems to work. Hopefully DJI release an update that fixes the issue. Or else I might have to try Litchi.
Sounds like you have not tried the clean install routine I described above. Might be worth a look.

Yeah, I've had the app crash as many as 4 times in a single 20 min flight. Very unstable. Good tip - I may give it a go.
I found if I used the mini usb on side mine crashed every 4 or 5 mins as soon as I used usb on bottom all was good not a single crash since. Don't forget you must fully unplug the mini usb from side of controller.

Get an iOS Device. Simple. Android is buggy had if you look back at the forums 30% are dedicated to Android device's being absolutely useless.

Get an iOS Device. Simple. Android is buggy had if you look back at the forums 30% are dedicated to Android device's being absolutely useless.
YAWN...

OK I am going to bite the bullet and upgrade to Nougat. 600+ flights without issue with GO and Android Marshmallow..
Be interesting to see how I go. If I can avoid the app crashes simply by doing a proper clean install and USB launching as has always worked for me in the past it may be of use.

EDIT

So up and running now with DJIGo4 clean installed on Nougat 7.0. Connected to DJI servers and my flight history has synced back nicely. Had to re enter a few of my Go setting again others were retained on the aircraft/RC and came back.

Main thing is Internal Storage>DJI folder now contains a mere 800 files instead of the 3500 it did prior to flushing the folders and deleting Go immediately prior to the OS update. Will report back on how it goes for me.

Last edited:
OK I am going to bite the bullet and upgrade to Nougat. 600+ flights without issue with GO and Android Marshmallow..
Be interesting to see how I go. If I can avoid the app crashes simply by doing a proper clean install and USB launching as has always worked for me in the past it may be of use.

EDIT

So up and running now with DJIGo4 clean installed on Nougat 7.0. Connected to DJI servers and my flight history has synced back nicely. Had to re enter a few of my Go setting again others were retained on the aircraft/RC and came back.

Main thing is Internal Storage>DJI folder now contains a mere 800 files instead of the 3500 it did prior to flushing the folders and deleting Go immediately prior to the OS update. Will report back on how it goes for me.
Very interested in the results you have. Please report back and let me know how it goes.

I found if I used the mini usb on side mine crashed every 4 or 5 mins as soon as I used usb on bottom all was good not a single crash since. Don't forget you must fully unplug the mini usb from side of controller.
I indicated the first thing DJI recommended was to try using the USB port on the center of the RC. I had no better result with this method.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000