DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go 4 App icon question

Martysticks

Reactions
OK, I've been flying for about a year (have both a Mavic Air and a Mavic Pro Platinum) and I've seen this icon but not really sure what it should be telling me. It's the icon on the same line as the H/S and V/S readings that looks like a man standing next to a drone. On my drones it gives me reading for a bit, then goes to N/A. Why does it do this; meaning go to N/A? I've watched videos and there always seems to a reading that pretty much matches distance. I've also seen where it starts off as VPS then changes to the little mane/drone icon.

Is this a setting that causes this and am I missing something?

TIA

Marty

Reactions: old man mavic
OK, I've been flying for about a year (have both a Mavic Air and a Mavic Pro Platinum) and I've seen this icon but not really sure what it should be telling me. It's the icon on the same line as the H/S and V/S readings that looks like a man standing next to a drone. On my drones it gives me reading for a bit, then goes to N/A. Why does it do this; meaning go to N/A? I've watched videos and there always seems to a reading that pretty much matches distance. I've also seen where it starts off as VPS then changes to the little mane/drone icon.

TIA

Marty
@Martysticks it only gives a reading when the drone is low enough for the downwards facing sensors to be in use, in combination with the GPS and barometric pressure sensor

OK, but why would mine go to N/A? I was just watching a video and the readings were D-4900m and H-100m. His icon (man/drone) also showed 4900m.

Now, I'm in FL (where the average is 6' above sea level); does that make a difference?

I may have answered my own question. I noticed the videos I've watched where I see this reading have all been in sport mode, where obstacle avoidance is turned off.

Could that be it?

it looks like, you have set the home point to be your controller location and not the takeoff point, I`m not sure on that though

TIA

Marty
It is the distance from the pilot’s location, as determined by the mobile device’s GPS, to the drone.

It’s usually approximately the same as the distance from the home point because most pilots stay pretty close to the home point while flying.

If it says N/A that means your distance from the drone can’t be determined by DJI Go 4 either because your device doesn’t have a GPS receiver, your mobile device has a poor GPS signal, you have not allowed DJI Go 4 to access your location data, or your drone doesn’t have sat lock yet and therefore the Drone’s location is unknown.

I’m surprised this wasn’t answered correctly yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks folks. I'm going to get my Pro from inside the house and give it a shot. All the screen shots I've posted were from videos I've watched; not from my equipment. I'll play with a few settings and see what I come up with.

@Martysticks sorry if my answer was incorrect,i can only assume that it is because my ipad is WIFI only, as the way i described is what my screen shows it gives a reading on take off but that then after i gain some height it goes to NA

Just took my pro up for a few flights, and that's exactly what happens to me. Once I get to a certain height, like 50' or so, it goes to N/A. My tablet is also WiFi only (iPad). I tried it both in P mode and Sport mode.

Curious what it says if I use my iPhone.

Tomorrow is another day (have nothing else to do :) )

Just took my pro up for a few flights, and that's exactly what happens to me. Once I get to a certain height, like 50' or so, it goes to N/A. My tablet is also WiFi only (iPad). I tried it both in P mode and Sport mode.

please let me know the result when you use your phone thanks OMM

Wi-Fi only iPads famously do not have GPS units in them. This is why it doesn’t work.

Below a certain height it shows the above ground height instead. When bottom sensors can no longer sense the ground it switches over to the icon in question and shows the distance to the mobile device which doesn’t work with the iPad Wi-Fi only version.

Note: the ipad wi-fi only version can get some location data by communicating with nearby Bluetooth devices and to some extent on wi-fi so there is a chance you could see something other than N/A come up under certain conditions but it would be intermittent at best and unreliable if that happens at all

Last edited:
please let me know the result when you use your phone thanks OMM
Here's a demonstration I did a while back:
i-T4SLX32-M.png

i-NFHRTPc-M.png

Yup, guess it's the GPS all along.....here is a screen shot I did while using my iPhone 8. My iPad is WiFi only (no GPS) which is something I was not aware of. I mean, it has Location Services, just thought that was the same thing :(screen shot of VPS 2.jpg

well at least that question has been put to bed

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy