DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go 4 App - IOS Vs Android

SmileyGC

Reactions
I am new to this Forum and have only had my drone a few weeks, so I have read a number of posts including those with pilots having issues...

Can I ask which Phone operating system you have, IOS or Android?

I will elaborate:-

I ask, as I have had my drone since the beginning of the month and took it to Vietnam. I use my iPhone 7+ and everything performed well. Flawlessly!!

However, this morning I had forgotten to charge the iPhone, so I used my Motorbike GPS phone, an Android Samsung G7 Core.
1st flight, I had flown over the local fields and the Mavic 2 was about 400metres away, when my phone screen froze.... The sun was very bright so I hit RTH on the controller, instead of climbing to 30m and return home, it stayed at about 15m to return home. I took control to get some more height.
I landed it, restarted the app on the phone and took off, the drone was less than 5 metres away and the app reported the video signal was lost. I turned it around to land close by. Then it reported low battery 20% and wanted to RTN and flew off to the landing site. I hit the RTH button to cancel RTH and landed it next to me.
Once again the DJI app froze...

I won't be using my Android phone again... maybe the Samsung isn't man enough, or perhaps the Android version has some bugs....

Back to the iPhone for sure!
How much charge does the iPhone have now...???

Can't comment on Android because I've never used one, but it seems to me, having only been around these pages a short time, that there are more problems with Android than iOS. I have the iPhone X which has worked flawlessly, except for two occasions when the Go4 App dropped out. No problems though, hovered until it re-booted and away she went.

However, this morning I had forgotten to charge the iPhone, so I used my Motorbike GPS phone, an Android Samsung G7 Core.
1st flight, I had flown over the local fields and the Mavic 2 was about 400metres away, when my phone screen froze.... The sun was very bright so I hit RTH on the controller, instead of climbing to 30m and return home, it stayed at about 15m to return home. I took control to get some more height.
I landed it, restarted the app on the phone and took off, the drone was less than 5 metres away and the app reported the video signal was lost. I turned it around to land close by. Then it reported low battery 20% and wanted to RTN and flew off to the landing site. I hit the RTH button to cancel RTH and landed it next to me.

I won't be using my Android phone again... maybe the Samsung isn't man enough, or perhaps the Android version has some bugs....
The Android and iOS app are both fine.
If you try to run either app on a phone or tablet that isn't up to the task or is wrongly configured, you may be disappointed.
But much of what you listed had nothing to do with the operating system or app version being used.

I am new to this Forum and have only had my drone a few weeks, so I have read a number of posts including those with pilots having issues...

Can I ask which Phone operating system you have, IOS or Android?

I will elaborate:-

I ask, as I have had my drone since the beginning of the month and took it to Vietnam. I use my iPhone 7+ and everything performed well. Flawlessly!!

Back to the iPhone for sure!
How much charge does the iPhone have now...???
It seems, my cheap, but adequate for motorbike GPS Samsung phone (1/7 the cost of the iPhone) isn't man enough for the DJI Go 4 app.
it is a resource hungry app, but then it does so much multitasking.. Great App

If it works fine on your iPhone, stick with your iPhone. You know it doesn't work with your Samsung phone, then don't use your Samsung phone. It's not complicated.
The Android vs iOS discussion is only applicable if you don't have a mobile device that works well with DJI Go 4 app and are looking to get a new one and want to make an informed decision before purchasing.

I think the problem with DJI Go on Android is more down to the phone's hardware specifications than the app, although there's definitely room for improvement with the app as well. Android hardware includes a lot of low-end phones which don't appear to be up to the task of running Go, especially if there are a lot of background apps running . I've seen a few people reporting similar issues with older iPhones as well, while people with higher spec Android phones don't seem to have as many issues.

Go is a beefy app that's trying to do a lot of things at the same time; that's going to need a suitable amount of resources to achieve and it'll struggle if it can't get them, hence problems. That said, (and assuming that speculation is correct) then DJI could make it a little more obvious when there is an issue, and possibly degrade the requirements a little more gracefully - stepping down the framerate/resolution of the live video feed for instance.

Another item to check is your cable from the controller to the phone. I have had similar connection problem before and they were corrected by using a better cable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toninhostark