DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go 4 & Mavic 2z – Cannot see anything on maps due to GEO zones

Neilw

Reactions
I was just out trying my new M2Z and experienced a bad thing. The GEO warning zones are now completely opaque and nothing on the map can be seen. Thus cannot use waypoints, POI, etc., or even stay away from the edges of the Authorization zone since it is impossible to see anything on the map other than the Home point but no map data whatsoever. Have tried setting the Ignore warnings settings but doesn't resolve the problem.

It does not matter whether it's the Map or Satellite views. Go4 has now become completely unusable if you need to see/use the map view. Litchi, however, works and has reasonable transparency on the warning zone overlays.

This really needs to be fixed ASAP since it seriously limits the ability to use the Mavic 2 Zoom and likely other models.

Tried with:

iPhone 8
iPad Mini 3
iPad Pro

All with newest version of DJI Go4, latest firmware, FlySafe databases, etc. on new M2Z. Numerous restarts, etc.

Not sure what’s going on, but you can see it all in AirMap as well as get LAANC clearance in a couple of seconds.

Not sure what you are referring to, but after 4 years of running a DJI fleet, not aware of another mapping app that runs within DJI GO, but would be interested in knowing of one. With the M2Z, there are simply some features within GO that we find useful. And as I said, Litchi does not have this issue. Their map warning zone transparency is still working fine - it is translucent.

As for clearance, while we routinely fly within an Authorization zone, we do so unlocked, so that has nothing to do with the issue other than the zone overlays are currently completely non-transparent (opaque) within the Go 4 app.

Last edited:
Tom, thanx! I have been avoiding the 107 test because of the fluidity
of the 'RULES'. Once it all becomes FIRM, I really do hope everyone
has a 107.

As an update from today's testing, GO4 loads the maps, then overlays a totally opaque zone completely blocking everything on the map.

Both Litchi and Map Pilot show the map and have a transparent overlay, so you can see the map detail.

Apparently this is a bug in however DJI is doing the overlays in their most recent versions of either the app or the Flysafe databases. Didn't used to be a problem.

As an update from today's testing, GO4 loads the maps, then overlays a totally opaque zone completely blocking everything on the map.

Both Litchi and Map Pilot show the map and have a transparent overlay, so you can see the map detail.

Apparently this is a bug in however DJI is doing the overlays in their most recent versions of either the app or the Flysafe databases. Didn't used to be a problem.
Flew today after updating M2P, downloading DJI Assistant 2 as well as DJI go, and updating my CS. I had no problems with maps in DJI go. Have you tried trashing the DJI stuff and redowloading... just wondering. Of course if you fly with Litchie or Map Pilot on your screen you might not even want to fool with it. Hope it works out. I’ve read similar problems in another thread here I believe.

Haven't tried deleting Go4 and downloading again, but might give that a go.

Have to have Go4 working since there are a few things in there that are needed. Only use Litchi and Map Pilot for specific things.

Reactions: Thomas B
I live in a warning zone, and I just tried looking at the map in dji Go 4 apps on 3 different platforms: Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Android), iPad Air 2 (iOS), and CrystalSky (Android, sort of). I could see the maps on all 3 devices, but the map on the CrystalSky was the most legible. But I was indoors. Is it possible that you can’t see the map on dim displays in bright sunlight? Are you next to 3 or more overlapping Authorization or no fly zones so that it is really opaque?

Last edited:
Nope. Used to work just fine within this Authorization Zone and works fine in Litchi and Map Pilot. Just suddenly stopped working in iOS DJI GO4.

I also just tried deleting and reinstalling the app, plus just tried it on our Spark. Still the same. Within the Authorization or Restricted Zone, nothing on the maps shows through. If I move the map over to a Warning Zone, there is transparency there, but nothing within the Authorization (Blue) or Restricted (Red) Zones.

Image-1.jpg

Nope. Used to work just fine within this Authorization Zone and works fine in Litchi and Map Pilot. Just suddenly stopped working in iOS DJI GO4.

I also just tried deleting and reinstalling the app, plus just tried it on our Spark. Still the same. Within the Authorization or Restricted Zone, nothing on the maps shows through. If I move the map over to a Warning Zone, there is transparency there, but nothing within the Authorization (Blue) or Restricted (Red) Zones.

View attachment 66185

Hi
You are not going to be able to remove or doing anything better with restriction zones on the maps
The best way in this situation to use some other program like Litchi
Litchi do not have this zones on the maps

Good luck

I don't think that is correct. It used to work a week or so ago within Go4, but now has gone opaque. And, yes, the Authorization and Restricted Zones color overlays are shown in both Litchi and Map Pilot. However, just as previously with DJI Go4, the overlays are 40-50% transparent. DJI Go4 has just recently become opaque with these overlays.

I have flown both the Spark and the M2Z a few times within this Authorization Zone using Go4 and could see the map through the warning overlays, but this week the overlays have gone opaque.

FINALLY! Figured this out. DJI has put a temporary Restricted Zone around a MLB field for all of the games this season, leaving it showing 100% of the time, even when no games are going on. PLUS they made it opaque blue so you cannot see anything under it for the roughly 5 mile radius out from the ball field.

I'm going to attempt to email them at flysafe to see if they can fix this. Otherwise every drone flyer in this market is screwed if they need map reference!

screenshot_opaque-restricted-zone.jpeg

Last edited:
Glad you solved the mystery... what purpose does it serve to be opaque? The question is unanswered. If someone was going to break the law and fly there theu’d Use the circle to estimate range and fly anyway. I gues they were appeasing some beaurocrat

Hope you can get DJI to remove it on days when the stadium has no event!

I think the opaque is an error on DJI's part. They have responded to my enquiry and are having their tech people look into it.

But I think it is also not correct that the Authorization Zone is there from before the baseball season even starts all the way through the end of the season. If it's going to be in effect, it should only be there for the actual games, and it certainly shouldn't be a 5-mile radius for a sporting event. I can't remember past years, but I always thought it has simply been a Restricted Zone over the field the day(s) of the game(s), and not a 5-mile circle. I know that it never has been like it is right now.

Interesting! Blue opaque zone circle is gone now! Hope it's permanent! But that was quick service if it lasts!

Sadly, it didn't stick and it's back today! But that same Ballpark season-long zone does not show up in Litchi. All other normal area zones show up in Litchi, but they are transparent. The controversial season-long 5-mile opaque ballpark Blue Zone is only showing up in DJI Go4. Funny last evening it wasn't there! Just wish they would get it fixed!

Reactions: dawgpilot
I have the same issue in DJI Go 4. I also see that same issue in the Fly Safe Geo Zone map on the website. Look at downtown Milwaukee.. I need to see below that opaque blue circle.Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 4.31.21 PM.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr