DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI GO app depletes my Samsung Note 3 battery overnight

TestPilot

Reactions
Hey guys,

Having a major problem here with this app. My Samsung Note 3 battery gets depleted to zero from 100% - OVERNIGHT.

I noticed this problem ever since I downloaded the app and once I open it (and exit by using/tapping the Back button on the Note 3), the app somehow still seems to be running in the background.

And next morning when I check the phone, it is dead.

WTH....

I thought of installing the "new" DJI GO 4 app, but there are ZERO tutorials on it, and it can't change device to Mavic (?)

Stupid piece of crap this app is.

PS: I just got my Mavic just a few days back and haven't even begun to fly it, yet alone any sort of drone. Was hoping to do it today, but now my phone battery is dead and have to charge it. I just don't think that the issue is my phone battery......!!!

And for all of you thinking this app is "not bad", don't forget it is a potential serious SPYWARE on your phone and it can read your entire email/gmail account details. It literally can take over your entire phone!!! All your personal details are/can be sent back to Shenzhen China.....Make sure you at least use a throw away phone and a prepaid card for this.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Having a major problem here with this app. My Samsung Note 3 battery gets depleted to zero from 100% - OVERNIGHT.

I noticed this problem ever since I downloaded the app and once I open it (and exit by using/tapping the Back button on the Note 3), the app somehow still seems to be running in the background.

WTH....

I thought of installing the "new" DJI GO 4 app, but there are ZERO tutorials on it, and it can't change device to Mavic (?)

PS: I just got my Mavic just a few days back and haven't even begun to fly it, yet alone any sort of drone. Was hoping to do it today, but now my phone battery is dead and have to charge it. I just don't think that the issue is my phone battery......!!!

And for all of you thinking this app is "not bad", don't forget it is a potential serious SPYWARE on your phone and it can read your entire email/gmail account details. It literally can take over your entire phone!!! All your personal details are/can be sent back to Shenzhen China....Make sure you at least use a throw away phone and a prepaid card for this.
Don't know about the note 3 but the S5 and S7 when you press the back button it dosen't stop the app. There should be another button on the other side of that brings up all the apps that are running with a tab at the bottom that says "Close all".

As for the SPYWARE have you read the access information that comes with just about every app?

Don't know about the note 3 but the S5 and S7 when you press the back button it dosen't stop the app. There should be another button on the other side of that brings up all the apps that are running with a tab at the bottom that says "Close all".

As for the SPYWARE have you read the access information that comes with just about every app?

For now, I think killing the app in App Manager is probably the only thing I can do. Yes, I know about the permissions with every app, but for the DJI Go app, it seems that it wants 100% of permissions. I have no idea what it is doing in the background, but it's excessive. That is why I use a spare/throw-away phone for this ~ Costly!

Hey guys,

WTH....

And for all of you thinking this app is "not bad", don't forget it is a potential serious SPYWARE on your phone and it can read your entire email/gmail account details. It literally can take over your entire phone!!! All your personal details are/can be sent back to Shenzhen China.....Make sure you at least use a throw away phone and a prepaid card for this.

Dude seriously. Spyware? Can't tell if your an idiot or a troll.

Dude seriously. Spyware? Can't tell if your an idiot or a troll.

I think you are in serious need of an education, dude.

Hey, check your phone app permissions, the next time before you hit the reply button. Scroll down under App Info if you're using Android....Read it right there - or do you want me to paste a screenshot for you just in case?

And for your info, I have a friend who roots Android phones and has been involved in Android for years, and the stuff he tells me of what an app can do, is staggering. Yes, it can include taking a photo of you while you browse your phone...

Maybe you haven't come across this then.

It's not just Samsung smart TVs. Your home is full of devices that spy on you | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
I think you are in serious need of an education, dude.

Hey, check your phone app permissions, the next time before you hit the reply button. Scroll down under App Info if you're using Android....Read it right there - or do you want me to paste a screenshot for you just in case?

And for your info, I have a friend who roots Android phones and has been involved in Android for years, and the stuff he tells me of what an app can do, is staggering. Yes, it can include taking a photo of you while you browse your phone...

Maybe you haven't come across this then.

It's not just Samsung smart TVs. Your home is full of devices that spy on you | Daily Mail Online

A trained monkey could root an Android phone. How does the permissions of DJI Go compare to every other app on your phone?

A trained monkey could root an Android phone. How does the permissions of DJI Go compare to every other app on your phone?

Trained monkey? Try rooting a Note 3 running Android 5+....and then come back and tell me how it went, ok? You think it's so easy? Don't blame me if something goes wrong....

And that's why I don't simply download every app on the block. And that's why I advised everyone to use a SPARE PHONE only for drone flying. Most apps do NOT ask for so many permissions as the DJI app does. I have Android programmer friends who know what I mean,

You clearly do not know much about Android nor about how much info an app can collect about you...

So now, you are not denying any more than the DJI app is excessive when it comes to permissions and what it can and cannot do? Come back at me with a better back up or stay out.

Or maybe, you just happen to work for DJI....

Last edited:
Not trying to rain on your Note 3 (I'm a major note fan) . However, I have noticed that the 3 runs this app slower (naturally) than the 4 or 5. The Note 7 ran it great for a short time....:(

My point is I have heard others complain about note 3 performance and not 4 and up. You may just be at the threshold of it putting more strain on it, thus battery consumption where the next model phone you have will probably have more power. Also, get the latest dji app would be my suggestion. If it's possible that the phone may be on the edge of not keeping up, is it worth the risk to use with your Mavic. Scheduled app killing shod help in the meantime overnight etc.

Good Luck!

-S

...sent while not using phone to fly.

Trained monkey? Try rooting a Note 3 running Android 5+....and then come back and tell me how it went, ok? You think it's so easy? Don't blame me if something goes wrong....

And that's why I don't simply download every app on the block. And that's why I advised everyone to use a SPARE PHONE only for drone flying. Most apps do NOT ask for so many permissions as the DJI app does. I have Android programmer friends who know what I mean,

You clearly do not know much about Android nor about how much info an app can collect about you...

So now, you are not denying any more than the DJI app is excessive when it comes to permissions and what it can and cannot do? Come back at me with a better back up or stay out.

Or maybe, you just happen to work for DJI....

How to Root Samsung GALAXY Note3 in One Click with Kingo Android Root

So I guess you're not a troll...

Encountered this too and posted a thread asking about the exact same thing..

But the thing I noted is, even if I force close the app through the "Close All" function that I supposed comes with all android , the Go 4 app still seems to be draining
my battery in the background.

so what I did is I went to android settings and then to applications and then look for the Go 4 app and tap on "Force stop"
only then the Go 4 app don't leech my phone batt..

I guess I'll be doing this everytime I bring my Mavic out for a spin, if it ever reaches me , that is.. :oops:

The DJI Go 4 app kills the battery from a background process. This is why I don't have the app on my phone. The issue existed a year ago in the older DJI Go app and I guess DJI still have not done anything about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey guys,

WTH....

LOOK AT THE SCREEN SIDE OF YOUR PHONE. AT BOTTOM, BELOW THE SCREEN THERE ARE THREE ACTIVE TABS. TAP THE ONE ON YOUR LEFT. IT WILL SHOW ALL THE APPS THAT ARE RUNNING. BELOW THAT IS "CLOSE ALL". TAP IT TO KILL ANYTHING THAT IS STILL RUNNING OR KILL THEM INDIVIDUALLY.

Fwiw, Close All still does not stop the app on my phone (s7), I have to go into the application manager and manually "Force Stop", for both DJI Go or DJI GO4. It's just something I've gotten used to doing. Not a big deal really, and on restarting the phone it doesn't auto start, so you only have to worry about it after you fly the drone.

Reactions: dv8ed and jerryflah
Got to love these conspiracy theories! We would all be shocked if we really new how much data is collected on us from all our internet use, smart phones, credit card use, etc.... we cannot escape it no matter how hard we try.
Am I worried about it, a simple NO! If I was doing something illegal, I might feel differently. Most of the info they collect from me is just to try to get me to buy more stuff.
Going to go flying now and maybe some internet shopping later today!! Lol

Reactions: Kilrah
Most of the info they collect from me is just to try to get me to buy more stuff.
Same, and I'll be happy if the usage data and suggestions they collect result in more even better things I can buy from them :p

Fwiw, Close All still does not stop the app on my phone (s7), I have to go into the application manager and manually "Force Stop", for both DJI Go or DJI GO4. It's just something I've gotten used to doing. Not a big deal really, and on restarting the phone it doesn't auto start, so you only have to worry about it after you fly the drone.
THANKS FOR THE TIP

As above i just go to app manager and force close the app problem solved :)

Sent from my SM-G925F using MavicPilots mobile app

As above i just go to app manager and force close the app problem solved :)

Sent from my SM-G925F using MavicPilots mobile app

You should not have to force close the app to stop it running and killing battery in the background.

The question should be what & why does it need to run in the background as there is no reason for it.

You should not have to force close the app to stop it running and killing battery in the background.

The question should be what & why does it need to run in the background as there is no reason for it.

It doesn't need to run in the background, it's a glitch which DJI for some reason has not corrected.

It doesn't need to run in the background, it's a glitch which DJI for some reason has not corrected.

One of many thing DJI have not fixed with the Android app, it seems DJI don't really care about Android.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo