DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go losing connection with controller/drone

NotMyDrone

Reactions
Hey fellow Mavic pilots,

I have a quick question and am hoping some of you might have an answer for me. I finally got a chance to get the Mavic off the ground. The controller and the aircraft seems to connect just fine. However, the DJI Go app is what's sporadically cutting out and being disconnected. I maintain full control of the aircraft and I can get her home without any problems (as I haven't flown her beyond line-of-sight and the controller indicate that signal is strong. But once the DJI Go app freezes, that's it. I then exit out of the app and land the bird, and power off the controller and then load up the app again to regain app connection/recognition to the aircraft.

Anyone else experiencing this and know what the issue might be and have a solution for me?

Thanks in advance.

(total flight time has been less than 20 minutes so far)

Hey fellow Mavic pilots,

I have a quick question and am hoping some of you might have an answer for me. I finally got a chance to get the Mavic off the ground. The controller and the aircraft seems to connect just fine. However, the DJI Go app is what's sporadically cutting out and being disconnected. I maintain full control of the aircraft and I can get her home without any problems (as I haven't flown her beyond line-of-sight and the controller indicate that signal is strong. But once the DJI Go app freezes, that's it. I then exit out of the app and land the bird, and power off the controller and then load up the app again to regain app connection/recognition to the aircraft.

Anyone else experiencing this and know what the issue might be and have a solution for me?

Thanks in advance.

(total flight time has been less than 20 minutes so far)
It would be helpful if you could let us know what setup you have.
Device, OS, method etc.

I am using an Android phone, HTC m8. Connection via micro usb.
Ok, these are only suggestions. First is obviously checking physical connections. Is your phone connected securely to the USB plug when placed in controller?
I may suggest closing all unnecessary apps. Place phone in airplane mode.
Give it a try.

Reactions: NotMyDrone
The phone isn't handling it well... You need an app killer like
360 Security - Antivirus Boost - Android Apps on Google Play

If you're running apps like facebook, etc, you need them all to die before starting dji- go. Then because it's a phone, turn off wifi and go airplane mode before you run the app killer, you may need to run it twice and watch and see what's starting on its own. Then go into Apps and turn those apps off if you can. You need to block them from starting :)

Reactions: NotMyDrone
Excellent. Next attempt, I'll try to reboot the phone and keep it in airplane mode to see if that helps me. Thanks for the suggestion!

I've been having this issue off an on for the past couple of weeks. Some flights are perfect... others, it cuts out five times or more in two minutes, when I'm less than 100' from the Mavic. I contacted DJI support and they told me to "refresh" the firmware using DJI Assistant 2 (i.e., not from the app). Going to give it a go tonight.

Question: How does your phone fit into the bracket on the controller. My phone is rounded in the back, so the middle is fatest. It doesnt' fit all the way into the bracket, and I'm wondering if maybe the USB plug isn't going in far enough. I'm also going to check that tonight.

Edit: After looking at pictures of your phone online, it looks like the exact same shape as mine... that's interesting. How does your plug fit in when in the remote? Mine never seemed to fit all the way in.

I have a spigen case for my phone that I take off first before clamping to the controller. I don't have any issue connecting the micro usb. The Mavic didn't come with a reverse micro USB cord, so I had to buy that separately.

I went flying earlier today for about 15-20 minutes. The DJI Go app stayed connected for the most part. I rebooted my phone and then immediately switched it to airplane mode before booting up the app.

That said, that was only my 2nd official flight so who knows what excitement will bring during my next attempt. :D

I've been having this issue off an on for the past couple of weeks. Some flights are perfect... others, it cuts out five times or more in two minutes, when I'm less than 100' from the Mavic. I contacted DJI support and they told me to "refresh" the firmware using DJI Assistant 2 (i.e., not from the app). Going to give it a go tonight.

Question: How does your phone fit into the bracket on the controller. My phone is rounded in the back, so the middle is fatest. It doesnt' fit all the way into the bracket, and I'm wondering if maybe the USB plug isn't going in far enough. I'm also going to check that tonight.

Edit: After looking at pictures of your phone online, it looks like the exact same shape as mine... that's interesting. How does your plug fit in when in the remote? Mine never seemed to fit all the way in.

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but I have a similar thread, here:
Downlink data connection lost for x.x seconds...

I tried refreshing the firmware and that didn't work. I also tried making sure the USB was all the way in, but that made no difference. The only thing that worked was using my old phone (Note 4). Worked fine with a different phone. Maybe try another device. It seems like its an issue with the app, since I never actually loose control with the remote.

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but I have a similar thread, here:
Downlink data connection lost for x.x seconds...

I tried refreshing the firmware and that didn't work. I also tried making sure the USB was all the way in, but that made no difference. The only thing that worked was using my old phone (Note 4). Worked fine with a different phone. Maybe try another device. It seems like its an issue with the app, since I never actually loose control with the remote.

So far, rebooting the phone and immediately going into airplane mode appears to be doing the trick, sort of.

I seem to have sorted out the App connection drop during mid-flight (RC controller connection never waivers). However, it's the initial connection that may take a few minutes, sometimes requiring turning the controller on/off. One time, it required me removing and reinserting battery on the Mavic itself.

I did another round of test last night and, again, it appears to be an issue with my phone (Moto Pure X). I flew with the Moto Pure X first, and the first few minutes were fine, but then I got the constant "Downlink data connection lost" messages until I landed.

I then flew with my old Note 3, and never got a single message. The video feed would pause for a second or two here and there, but I never got the downlink data message or the "Aircraft Disconnected" notification.

I can try to reboot the phone, but I've already made sure WiFi was off, phone was in Airplane Mode, and all of my apps were closed (other than DJI Go). The problem with rebooting, is for some reason my Motorola takes FOREVER to reboot.

I've had this problem sporadicly with Samsung S7 Edge, Go 4. Ususally its been happened before takeoff, so right after powering on the controller. Solution then has been to restart the controller. But this morning it happened midflight, AC 500m away. Tried to restart the app, reattach the cable, but none did any good. First time ive pressed the RTH button because I needed to.

Issue here as well. iPhone 6s+, DJI Mavic Pro with all the latest firmware and using DJI GO 4. I came across a forum post mentioning with the Inspire if the controller was updated first, before the unit. It could cause complications. I just so happened to update the controller before the unit. Any one else do the same as I, and have the same problem?

I've also physically checked the cable, removed the black oblong piece to ensure a better perfect fit, and still have the issue. Only thing that seems to maybe make a difference is flying in airplane mode, but then I lose any map caching capabilities.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
having same issue with Iphone 7. having read this feed ill try closing all other apps including Facebook... hope fully will fix the issue

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute