DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles Antenna Mods

mb300sd

Reactions
After ordering all the parts to do a boosted RC mod, this naturally seems like the next step. Unfortunately the goggles use a separate video feed directly from the Mavic, so will lose video before the RC does.

The antennas are in the head band, with some form of RF connector on them. Modding should be fairly simple if I can identify and order 2 of these connectors. They are marked SAA17464, but googling comes up with no results. Can anyone identify these?

P_20180324_210053.jpg

Upon further teardown and research, it appears that my racing edition goggles have 6 antennas total, while the standard edition has 4 ( G1S1612 DJI Goggles Teardown Internal Photos Internal photo SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD ). Obviously the external SMA and one of the internals are for 5.8GHz video, but figuring out what the other 4 do and which ones need to be amplified is beyond my skill level/toolset.

It came to me that I could just get a tablet with HDMI out to fly with the goggles with less wires attached to my face, so this is probably where the journey ends. I have noticed less latency in the goggles than on a tablet though, so if anyone does take this up, I'd be interested in the results.

P_20180324_213146.jpg

you could unhook one antenna at a time to see what one you may need to uses? of course do this when the mavic is on the ground :)

Reactions: genesimmons
I should of add that the video signal it gets comes from the remote controller just a fyi

It definitely comes from the Mavic, unfortunately. I lose video to the goggles while the tablet still works.

hum I am 90 percent sure it comes from the remote...not sure why you lost video I have it the other way I loose vide to the tablet but not the goggles.. what firmware version do you have on your goggles?

mater of fact turn off your remote I bet you will loose video, if video is coming from aircraft you wont loose video when you turn your remote off

That's strange, do you have the RE goggles? I can view the camera through the goggles without ever turning the remote on. Running latest firmware.

i believe the op is correct, the goggles get a totally seperate feed from the mav its self has nothing to do with the remote, this is of course on a mav pro the air and spark get thier signal from the remote though thats what he may be thinking

hum interesting if I recall I had to have my remote on..i don't have the RE just the regular dji goggles

if you want to add an a antenna just unhook one antenna at a time to see what one affects the signal more

that was the selling feature of the goggles was they are a fully wireless and can eleimanate the need for phone, theres a link button on the mav itself that u connect wireless to the goggles the rc isnt part of that chain

i belive the selling firature of the re goggles is they are a cooler color and they can connect to other devices where as the white ones are limited to dji only i believe

Probably not going to mess with the goggles much, I'd rather not drill into them if not absolutely necessary. I ordered a Nvidia K1 with HDMI out, so we'll see how much the lag bothers me - shouldn't be too much of an issue for long range flights since I'm not getting up close to anything.

right no need for a tablet/phone but still need remote well I thought unless its different on the RE???

@mb300sd where did you find a Nvidia K1 at?? I have been looking all over for one! well without paying 400 plus for one!

Still need the remote to fly, but I can turn on only the Mavic and the goggles and get a video feed.

Got it on ebay for under $200. There seem to be a few available.

Still need the remote to fly, but I can turn on only the Mavic and the goggles and get a video feed.

Got it on ebay for under $200. There seem to be a few available.

do you have a link for that tablet? is that new or used?

Ugh just found this out today after ordering my Titan switch yesterday.... Not sure wethwheor not in even going to install it at this point. I come from a mini quad background so goggles is all I know.

Ugh just found this out today after ordering my Titan switch yesterday.... Not sure wethwheor not in even going to install it at this point. I come from a mini quad background so goggles is all I know.

what you mean? as in what? the dji goggles wont work for you why?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S