DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles Missing Diopter Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions
Received my DJI Goggles yesterday. They look cool and build quality is outstanding. They are heavy! Ohh yes! Pairingh with Mavic Pro and setup went like a dream. They are very easy to operate and image is crisp and bright, but... all of it providing you have 20/20 vision or your spectacles / contacts are perfectly tuned to eyesight condition. Why? Because the goggles are missing diopter adjustment. I wear glasses. I do not go to optometrist every week, but every few years. The script of glasses and contacts I am wearing today is good enough, but not perfect. DJI wants your vision with glasses or without to be perfect. Oh well, maybe DJI Goggles Mark II will take care for that.

So no focus on them for bad eyes? I kept looking at the reviews and was beginning to worry that would be the case. Amazing, that would seem to be a HUGE omission by DJI.

Yes, it is, especially that the only adjustment provided, dealing with an inter-pupillary distance between two lenses seems to be unnecessary, as it does not make much difference.

That is brutally disappointing, but I will still enjoy them, I'm sure. I had hoped there would be some kind of focus, even like the simple sliders on a $20 pair of VR goggles.

This is what happens when stuff is designed by 20-somethings with perfect eyesight! These goggles and VR devices need adjustments for inter-pupillary distance AND diopters.

That is really strange. A 8 USD pair of VR plastic"cardboard" goggles I use with my Litchi app have this!

Oh, about the image: do they display the same image on the left and right screen, just like Litchi does (double image), or is the image different for each eye?

Reactions: pcardon
Ran into the focus problem before.
A trip to the dollar store and get some reading glasses.
Have to experiment with what magnification gives the sharpest view.

Reactions: rydfree
Ran into the focus problem before.
A trip to the dollar store and get some reading glasses.
Have to experiment with what magnification gives the sharpest view.

Yep , a $5 pair of +1.50 works great for me . The bigger the lens the better .

You're supposed to use it with your glasses and contacts. They're designed to fit over them.
Yes, but the script of your glasses or contacts needs perfectly match your condition. If lenses in your glasses are slightly weaker or stronger, you won't be able to enjoy crispiness of the displayed image without diopter adjustment. Have you ever wondered why all binoculars provide diopter adjustment?

If you can't see sharp in the goggles with your glasses then you can't see sharp in real life at the same distance as what the goggles reproduce either.
So either you're OK not seeing sharp in real life and there's no reason it should be different here, or you should really replace your glasses so that you can enjoy both...

If you can't see sharp in the goggles with your glasses then you can't see sharp in real life at the same distance as what the goggles reproduce either.
So either you're OK not seeing sharp in real life and there's no reason it should be different here, or you should really replace your glasses so that you can enjoy both...

While you make a valid point - to not put this simple adjustment in a pair of $400 plus "first entry" product is showing poor planning from the design standpoint.

Yes, but the script of your glasses or contacts needs perfectly match your condition. If lenses in your glasses are slightly weaker or stronger, you won't be able to enjoy crispiness of the displayed image without diopter adjustment. Have you ever wondered why all binoculars provide diopter adjustment?
Well you can't stick them over your glasses and still see very well so, there's that. The Goggle's interior is like staring at a theater wall from 3 meters away. If you're near sighted, you should be wearing glasses that bring your vision to near 20-20. If not, you need new glasses for life anyways.

While you make a valid point - to not put this simple adjustment in a pair of $400 plus "first entry" product is showing poor planning from the design standpoint.
None of the goggles using this type of design has a diopter adjustment (I've used/tried dozens of models over 15+ years). So much that I'm not sure it's even possible, and as said since the screen is "placed" at a distance people have to look at for hours every day of their life it simply makes no sense in the first place.
The smartphone thingys are different because their optics are dirt simple and need careful adjustement, plus the screen being "removeable" adds to the need of having it. Fortunately it's simple to do in that configuration.

Close up or reading everybody has a different focus range, especially when we get older. Its easy to move the book to obtain that perfect focus.
Not so with the goggles.

Reactions: Robbyg
Close up or reading everybody has a different focus range, especially when we get older. Its easy to move the book to obtain that perfect focus.
Not so with the goggles.
The goggles have require the eyes to focus on an object that's 3 meters away. If you're far sighted and need reading glasses, you won't need them in the goggles. If you're near sighted, 3 meters in real life will be just as out of focus as the viewer in the goggles will be. If you're having trouble seeing the image clearly, then everything in real life must be just as blurry 3 m away. Again, if that is the case, you need new glasses then.

The goggles have require the eyes to focus on an object that's 3 meters away. If you're far sighted and need reading glasses, you won't need them in the goggles. If you're near sighted, 3 meters in real life will be just as out of focus as the viewer in the goggles will be. If you're having trouble seeing the image clearly, then everything in real life must be just as blurry 3 m away. Again, if that is the case, you need new glasses then.

You are correct, I understand what you are saying, and you may even be an eye doctor with your convictions.

But when we get older our close up focus range starts to get very narrow and can change from month to month.

Since this does not effect my far sighted focus I don't run to the eye doctor every month.

90% of people over 60 need reading glasses, a simple diopter adjustment would have been nice.

You are correct, I understand what you are saying, and you may even be an eye doctor with your convictions.

But when we get older our close up focus range starts to get very narrow and can change from month to month.

Since this does not effect my far sighted focus I don't run to the eye doctor every month.

90% of people over 60 need reading glasses, a simple diopter adjustment would have been nice.

I'm actually not an eye doctor. I'm an electrical engineer, but becoming one required me to study optics. I'm also severely near sighted to the point that I lose focus 1/4 of a meter away. I can't even read a book without my glasses unless I hold really close to my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada