DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles Race Edition & Ocusync Air System Unbox & Look Over

Mad_Angler1

Reactions

9qSuXujl.jpg

A few weeks ago DJI announced the Racing Edition of the DJI Goggles, this new version has a large number of upgrades over the standard model, Analog 5.8 Ghz FPV support, 5GHZ Ocusync with Ocusync DVR recording, a redesigned visor and headband with red leather and expanded playback support to include MP4, MOV, MKV

Along side the updates Goggles for the first time DJI have release a standalone Ocusync Air System that consists of an end transmitter and 1.2MP Digital FPV Camera that allows users to add DJI’s Ocusync system to stream low latency video up to 7km in range on any craft

irldX2Ml.jpg

DJI Goggles Race Edition

08VB6QUl.jpg

The overall Spec is similar to before but with some very nice updates over the original model

Occusync Wireless connection to the Mavic Pro
USB Connection to Spark, Phantom 4, Phantom 4 Pro/Advanced and Inspire 2
5.8Ghz Analog FPV at any integer frequency between 5.650~5.925 GHz
In addition to the 2.4GHz digital transmission band new 5Ghz band
Redesigned the internal linear polarized omnidirectional antennas for improved Ocusync reception
External Pagoda antenna, A 5.8GHz single-frequency omnidirectional Antenna and a Circularly polarized (LHCP) antennas
Restructured radio communication strategy and video decoding algorithm to lower transmission latency to 50 ms
DVR Digital video on a Micro SD card from Ocusync.
Supports local video playback and Sphere pano viewing, allowing users to turn their head to get a 360° view of the Sphere pano
Fully compatible with the usual 5.8GHz FPV Bands ( A/B/E/F/C &Raceband) , up to 40 channels in total. It also receives up to of 275 integer frequencies between 5650~5925 MHz, in which Band C (Raceband) includes 8 channels and the channel interval is 27 MHz.

Inside The Box

554TKDKl.jpg

The biggest change you will notice is the Goggles are now this very nice gun metal silver grey colour, they really do look very nice in this new colour especially with the red leather head band

X5kSnQ5l.jpg

Around the the back you can see the same setup as before with the adjustable optics and rubber face mask

QFzagZNl.jpg

The DJI Goggles have two 1080P high-resolution screens with an 85 degree FOV, they support Head tracking on DJI Models such as the Mavic,Spark and Phantom4/Inspire 2 series, they have a built in touch pad for changing settings and have multiple input methods such as Ocusync, Analog 5.8Ghz FPV, USB and HDMI input.

Removing the top layer of packaging exposes the headband with its new red leather cover

9MEvlrvl.jpg

Once removed from the box you can see the overall size and shape of the Goggles is the same as before, on this side you can see the speaker and ports cover

d9CimHr.jpg

Looking closely at the top you can see the new RP SMA connector for the Analog 5.8Ghz FPV antennas thats moulded into the top, this now means you can use the DJI Goggles with most of the common FPV systems such as Fatshark and Raceband.

KXVvniVl.jpg

Under the rubber cover you have the SD card slot, headphones/RC jack and HDMI input, the DJI Goggles when used with the Air System allow you to connect your none DJI Radio system to the googles via the trainer port to send your control signal over the Ocusync Digital Link, this prevents the systems interfering and allows for multiple users to fly at the same time

OfRskQml.jpg

Moving on to the base you have the same optics adjustment as well as the enter and back button, these functions just like they did on the original Goggles

Gvz8ffPl.jpg

On the other side you have the power button and the touch pad as before

6BGx3XEl.jpg

DJI have made some improvments to the headband, the facial pad has been redesigned for better fitment and comfort as well as having an all new red leather leather materials to make it even more comfortable to wear.

CpcdDCVl.jpg

It uses the same stainless steel band to join the back adjustable section to hold the googles together and allows you to adjust for head size

riMCt77l.jpg

As before the 9440mAh rechargeable battery is located in the back to give balance with the the integrated headband adjustment screw

ok99bbul.jpg

The main micro USB port for charging and updating the firmware is located in the same place as before under the little rubber flap on the side, DJI do include a mains USB charger but you can use any USB source to charge the Goggles

gHB23kml.jpg

In The Box

dPfGS6ol.jpg

The Accessories include USB charger and Cable, Cable clip, HDMI Cable and RP SMA Adapter

Antennas

kCh3qzjl.jpg

DJI have also included two RP-SMA Pagoda 5.8 GHz single frequency circular polarized antennas for the Analog FPV

[/SIZE].​

The Software

omnadeMl.jpg

Overall the software is very similar to before with the new features listed under 2 new menus, you now have

Racing Drone Analog for 5.8FPV

Racing Drone Digital for Ocusync Air End System

The Ocusync Air System Menu

uv3WcvWl.jpg

Analog FPV Settings

PravSQml.jpg

Frequency control is available in both Manual or Auto tune modes

BCOnUkzl.jpg

The New Goggles Race Edition Overall

Z4vf8tLl.jpg

The new updated DJI Goggles Race Edition a really great update, the colour with the red leather is extremely nice and the new analog compatibility means normal FPV users will suddenly get very interested in these Goggles, the Digital signal from both the DJI wireless systems like on the Mavic Pro or the new Air System looks fantastic on the 1080P screens too and the Air system brings some new options we have not seen before from DJI

The Complete DJI Goggles Race Edition Kit costs $859/£899 and includes the Goggles, Air System a Carry Case

The New Goggles RE are also available on their own too and both are available from the DJI store

Next the Air System

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
The New Ocusync Air System for DJI Goggles Race Edition

yc9uU6Al.jpg

This is a standalone Ocusync system from DJI, it allows you to fit DJI’s digital wireless video and control system to pretty much any thing you like, Car, Plane or Multirotor this is a complete digital transmission system will transmit low latency video and control signal unto 7km and is specifically designed to be used with the DJI Goggles Race Edition.

Ocusync its able to transmit both control link and video over the same digital link, you simply connect your supported 3rd party radio directly to the goggles via the trainer port and the air end to your flight controller via PPM or SBUS and your ready to go, this avoids any interference caused by either system on the same frequency to give you a stable control and video link over great distance.

The system is also able to record your flight video directly on the Air End Module and/or onto the DJI Goggles for playback later.

The Air System

The Set consists of an Ocusync Air Unit, A Digital FPV Camera and Antenna Set.

NBctIIjl.jpg

OcuSync Video Transmission Module

TGwWADWl.jpg

The Spec

The OcuSync Video Transmission Module offers 2.4 and 5.8 GHz dual-band digital video transmission
Latency as low as 50 ms
Maximum control range of up to 7 km.
Up to 1280×960 HD transmission
Automatic Frequency-Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) transmission
12 Selectable Digital Video Channels
SBUS & PPM Control Outputs
MultiWii - MSP Compatible Telemetry
3S-4S Input

Looking Over the Unit Externally

Ik83id0l.jpg

N07KC0ol.jpg

Duel MMCX Antenna Connections on one side

rRwznywl.jpg

Micro SD Card Slot for Recording onboard the Air Unit

GPQ61ibl.jpg

Camera Input via a custom USB C port and Main Harness input for SBUS, UART and Power, the system supports connection to most common flight controllers such as most F3 or F4 based controllers, KISS or NAZE ext, basically any Sbus or PPM compatible controller, telemetry support is currently for MSP with some additional protocols to come in the future.

KfxovfLl.jpg

PPM Output and Micro USB for Updating Firmware

Size

CguPvPFl.jpg

SP51wwEl.jpg

Its size is 72 × 33 × 14 mm, W 43.7g, comparing its size to a standard 9g servo

Camera Module

uV2ZO3Pl.jpg

The DJI OcuSync Camera has a 1/3'' CMOS Sensor with an effective 1.2M pixels, 2.65 mm, f2.0 lens giving a 148 degree FOV, it offers much higher resolution video transmission than most analog FPV on the market. It also uses a global shutter significantly reducing rolling shutter effect caused by high-frequency vibration.

6NHNDSDl.jpg

Yq4byzZl.jpg

It has 3 mounting post embedded in each side for fitment to the included bracket

Connection

5sSrg79l.jpg

It uses a custom USB C connector that is keyed to fit one way

Compared To Runcam

7F6a2uFl.jpg

WFgWCgHl.jpg

Its size is 29.4 × 28.2 × 22.6 mm and weights 18.2g, its a little smaller than a Runcam Swift when compared together

Included cables and antennas adapters

70ldUxsl.jpg

5UF5jdhl.jpg

RC Control cables for attaching you existing radio to the Goggles to send control over the Ocusync system.

DJI Support the following radio systems for connection via the trainer port

X9D (Frsky),DEVO 10 (Walkera), T8FG (Futaba),T14SG (Futaba), WTF09sll (WFLY), AT9S (RadioLink) via trainer port

[/SIZE]​

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Antennas

Included in the kit are a number of Antennas so you can choose the ones that best suit your needs

DnXfvAMl.jpg

Pagoda

aQdkyVVl.jpg

TPTkBB1l.jpg

There are two Pagoda 2.4Ghz antennas, one RPSMA and one MMCX Connectors that are recommended for racing

89mYQl8l.jpg

The MMCX Connector

Duel frequency cylindrical circular polarization omnidirectional antennas

G2JV8ZTl.jpg

These are for both 2.4 and 5.8Ghz use

lpaHOCgl.jpg

These are covered in a flexible rubber cover for protection

Dipole antennas

QYMu9bUl.jpg

For close up flight in both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz DJI have included this traditional omni sticks

The Complete Air End Kit

L9CtrhRl.jpg

End

CwUiqMil.jpg

Overall I think this is a very nice package, the new Goggles RE are a big upgrade over the original model and the standalone Ocusync system is a real step forward giving us access to DJI’s wireless system in a small package for the first time.

The Complete DJI Goggles RE Kit costs $859/£899 and includes a carry case

The New Goggles RE are also available on their own too and both are available from the DJI store

You can find more info

Please note this is an affiliate link

Over the coming weeks I will be testing this on multiple flight system such as the F3 and F4 based systems in both Quad and fixed wing, I will be updating this post as time goes one with more info and details on connections and setup ect on as many controllers as I can

Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very comprehensive review, Thank you Mad_Angler; can not wait to hear what you think when you test it live.

The New Ocusync Air System for DJI Goggles Race Edition

yc9uU6Al.jpg

This is a standalone Ocusync system from DJI, it allows you to fit DJI’s digital wireless video and control system to pretty much any thing you like, Car, Plane or Multirotor this is a complete digital transmission system will transmit low latency video and control signal unto 7km and is specifically designed to be used with the DJI Goggles Race Edition.

Ocusync its able to transmit both control link and video over the same digital link, you simply connect your supported 3rd party radio directly to the goggles via the trainer port and the air end to your flight controller via PPM or SBUS and your ready to go, this avoids any interference caused by either system on the same frequency to give you a stable control and video link over great distance.

The system is also able to record your flight video directly on the Air End Module and/or onto the DJI Goggles for playback later.

The Air System

The Set consists of an Ocusync Air Unit, A Digital FPV Camera and Antenna Set.

NBctIIjl.jpg

OcuSync Video Transmission Module

TGwWADWl.jpg

The Spec

The OcuSync Video Transmission Module offers 2.4 and 5.8 GHz dual-band digital video transmission
Latency as low as 50 ms
Maximum control range of up to 7 km.
Up to 1280×960 HD transmission
Automatic Frequency-Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) transmission
12 Selectable Digital Video Channels
SBUS & PPM Control Outputs
MultiWii - MSP Compatible Telemetry
3S-4S Input

Looking Over the Unit Externally

Ik83id0l.jpg

N07KC0ol.jpg

Duel MMCX Antenna Connections on one side

rRwznywl.jpg

Micro SD Card Slot for Recording onboard the Air Unit

GPQ61ibl.jpg

Camera Input via a custom USB C port and Main Harness input for SBUS, UART and Power, the system supports connection to most common flight controllers such as most F3 or F4 based controllers, KISS or NAZE ext, basically any Sbus or PPM compatible controller, telemetry support is currently for MSP with some additional protocols to come in the future.

KfxovfLl.jpg

PPM Output and Micro USB for Updating Firmware

Size

CguPvPFl.jpg

SP51wwEl.jpg

Its size is 72 × 33 × 14 mm, W 43.7g, comparing its size to a standard 9g servo

Camera Module

uV2ZO3Pl.jpg

The DJI OcuSync Camera has a 1/3'' CMOS Sensor with an effective 1.2M pixels, 2.65 mm, f2.0 lens giving a 148 degree FOV, it offers much higher resolution video transmission than most analog FPV on the market. It also uses a global shutter significantly reducing rolling shutter effect caused by high-frequency vibration.

6NHNDSDl.jpg

Yq4byzZl.jpg

It has 3 mounting post embedded in each side for fitment to the included bracket

Connection

5sSrg79l.jpg

It uses a custom USB C connector that is keyed to fit one way

Compared To Runcam

7F6a2uFl.jpg

WFgWCgHl.jpg

Its size is 29.4 × 28.2 × 22.6 mm and weights 18.2g, its a little smaller than a Runcam Swift when compared together

Included cables and antennas adapters

70ldUxsl.jpg

5UF5jdhl.jpg

RC Control cables for attaching you existing radio to the Goggles to send control over the Ocusync system.

DJI Support the following radio systems for connection via the trainer port

X9D (Frsky),DEVO 10 (Walkera), T8FG (Futaba),T14SG (Futaba), WTF09sll (WFLY), AT9S (RadioLink) via trainer port

Antennas

Included in the kit are a number of Antennas so you can choose the ones that best suit your needs

DnXfvAMl.jpg

[/SIZE]​

Pagoda

aQdkyVVl.jpg

TPTkBB1l.jpg

There are two Pagoda 2.4Ghz antennas, one RPSMA and one MMCX Connectors that are recommended for racing

89mYQl8l.jpg

The MMCX Connector

Duel frequency cylindrical circular polarization omnidirectional antennas

G2JV8ZTl.jpg

These are for both 2.4 and 5.8Ghz use

lpaHOCgl.jpg

These are covered in a flexible rubber cover for protection

Dipole antennas

QYMu9bUl.jpg

For close up flight in both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz DJI have included this traditional omni sticks

The Complete Air End Kit

L9CtrhRl.jpg

End

CwUiqMil.jpg

Overall I think this is a very nice package, the new Goggles RE are a big upgrade over the original model and the standalone Ocusync system is a real step forward giving us access to DJI’s wireless system in a small package for the first time.

The Complete DJI Goggles RE Kit costs $859/£899 and includes a carry case

Over the coming weeks I will be testing this on multiple flight system such as the F3 and F4 based systems in both Quad and fixed wing, I will be updating this post as time goes one with more info and details on connections and setup ect on as many controllers as I can

Thank You.

Very nice, concise, well thought out and executed review. I look forward to reading your operating review.

Will still require focus fixing add on's. Love my Google's now I've made the frames and the correct lenses are fantastic. Could even watch a film in them now.

Some updates on this

2 Very long reviews and an update

Dji Goggles RE Unbox and walk through

Dji Goggles RE Info update

DJI Ocusync Air-system Unbox, Setup and Walkthrough.

Latency

Ok I have done some tests and I can say that on the bench the latency on the Ocusync system is what DJI are stating and it’s extremely impressive.

I have tested it in multiple ways and it showing the below

These are taken in 480P

Phone 03.80
Goggles 03.75
50ms

ad5814ac50fb4d87171884a61aa82ac0.jpg

Phone 04.60
Goggles 04.55
50ms

d822e3c9ed442187c9ea065bd38535a8.jpg

Phone 05.05
Goggles 05.00

c2f37271e711991424fd0dcec7af471d.jpg

Analog Latency

Analog latency test vs Headplay HD, IMO DJI Goggles is a shade less

Below are two frames that proceed each other, you can see that the both display at the same point, but the Dji Google’s look to be ahead a very little so less lag but this is very small, also see the video for your own decision.

Frame 1 just his start

1189c1ca67690a60c52c85e54e8464f9.jpg

This is the next frame

019a8af1a618c615aca5c178f3eac454.jpg

The video is below, to confirm this is Analog Speed Test compared to Headplay HD

ok so quick question. I a have mavic and use it for photos and video. I dont see my self racing anytime soon. I do like to push the distance from home point on the mavic. Most of my photos will be in the San jaun Islands. Out door stuff, boats on bays, wildlife. Do the New googles have any advantage over the old ones for my use? Range is important.

Mad_Angler1 thank you fo all the information. I just ordered the RE edition goggles. I have a Mavic and intend on using them with it but also would like to use them with my P3P. You did not mention the P3P above and just wondering what it would take to make it work.
I also intend to use them with RC fixed wing aircraft to fly FPV.

also would like to use them with my P3P. You did not mention the P3P above and just wondering what it would take to make it work.
You'll need to install the HDMI Output Module (available on Amazon, eBay, or from DJI) on your P3P remote controller like this. And then connect the HDMI cable that comes with the DJI Goggles to an HDMI adapter (I use this one).

Here's what that setup looks like:

DJI-Goggles-HDMI-Cable-Connected.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22