DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles versus Avegant Glyphs

Srcrain

Reactions
Hard to imagine anyone buying the Glyphs over the DJI goggles, Don't the DJI googles have a hdmi input that can be used to connect a Nvidia Shield? Similar to the Glyphs. This would allow Litchi and potentially other 3rd party apps to be used. I realize the track pad function wouldn't work, but the Glyphs don't have that anyway. Although the DJIs are slightly bigger they have more functionality and are the same price.

I bought Glyphs, right before the DJI goggles were released. A big reason was because I could have LOS, not requiring a spotter. I could also use them for other things.

I'm very unhappy that at the same time they released their goggles, DJI disabled the head tracking functionality of competing goggles. I've yet to find a way to downgrade the software to get the functionality I purchased back. I did the research, just got screwed by DJI.

UPDATE 01MAY: I've since downgraded to firmware ver .400 using DJI Assistant 2. I would be more comfortable being able to archive the files locally and to also disable the nag screen on DJI Go, but it does work, for now.

I've also discovered that having VLOS is a legal requirement for recreational users. I don't have a part 107 certificate so using the DJI goggles would be illegal for me. Spotters are not an option for recreational users.

Last edited:
Does anyone have know where i could try Avegant Glyphs and the DJI googles before i buy one of them?

Does anyone have know where i could try Avegant Glyphs and the DJI googles before i buy one of them?
Don't think you will find anywhere, unless you have a friend that has them. Glyphs are rare. Just buy from Amazon, easy return policy.

I bought the Glyphs last week. I like them, but not as immersive as I would like and there is a dust spec on the internal lens, so I will be returning them. Also, they feel kind of cheap and the adjustments are not very refined. Very hard to get the corners of the image completely visible. I have a pair of DJI Goggles on the way because there was a B&H deal I couldn't pass on, hope they are better.

I have the white dji goggles and the mode that is called
( head tracking gimble ) is my favourite. It’s cool to fly around and you can look up and down and left and right as your drone flys . It has a target in the middle of your screen so you know where your drone is going .

Reactions: KeithLa
I've tried both the glyphs and the dji goggles
Not sure why the dji goggles are so popular. They don't even have a focus adjustment.
I don't need reading glasses with the glyphs. That's a big deal for me
The wireless dji goggles is nice with the mavic but I'll take the wired glyphs over the dji goggles any day
Only problem is you can't add the hdmi module with a mavic controller
I ended up buying a nvidea shield and it works perfect with the glyphs

Just tested out the DJI goggles for the first time today. Wow, are they impressive. Image was large and crisp. Low latency. Gimbal control is awesome. Other than being kind of big and a bit heavy, I think they are better in every way compared to the Glyphs. Sending the Glyphs back tomorrow.

The dji goggles fit your head perfect, can maintain vlos, easily throw in a backpack, and has lense adjustment and focus, and use as head phones?

The dji goggles fit your head perfect, can maintain vlos, easily throw in a backpack, and has lense adjustment and focus, and use as head phones?

They fit my head pretty well, i actually like the fit better than the Glyphs. Much quicker to adjust. Luckily my vision is good, so no issue with focus, but if you are far sighted, there is enough room for glasses. No need for headphones for flying a drone, but it does have speakers built in, along with audio output for headphones. As mentioned, they are large, but luckily the headband can be easily disconnected from the visor, so yes, I could throw them in a backpack. And the VLOS issue is there with the Glyphs, as well. No consensus has been made about whether the Glyphs get around the VLOS issue. Are you maintaining constant VLOS when you are looking at the Glyph projected image?

Don't get me wrong, the Glyphs projection technology is very nice, and the DJI goggles are in no way perfect, but the Glyphs left a lot to be desired, for me. If they work better for you, then enjoy!

I just couldn't get around wearing something the size of a shoebox on my head. I saw all kinds of videos on them and didn't realize how big they are. They take up a lot of room whether or not the headband is attached.
The glyphs are way more secure than the dji goggles. I couldn't get them comfortable and they always felt like they were going to fall off my head
The headphone part is not just for flying. Watching movies and listening to music. I can also hear the commands that would normally come from the tablet.
Technically dji goggles are let's say "illegal" for recreational use unless you have a spotter. Depends on your area too.
Yes I can maintain vlos. I can look down at the tablet or up at the drone without having to flip up the goggles.
The vision issue is what killed it for me. I don't need reading glasses with the glyphs. For me that makes a huge difference.
Now if the glyphs were wireless that would be huge for them

Neither are perfect and neither are winning any style or ergonomics awards. Until newer models come out, you just have to decide which aspects are most important to you.

The deciding factor for me was the size of the image and immersion factor. I feel like I'm in the drone with the DJI Goggles, where I didn't get that with the Glyphs (more like looking at a 55" TV from 8 feet away).

I've tried the Fatsharks, Glyphs, Moverio's and the DJI goggles, so far I still like the DJI's the best. Are they perfect, no. I need corrective lens to see, they really don't stay on my head that good, and they fog up. But as far as the screen quality and the functionality with the Mavic, they can't be beat

Reactions: FEMit
Can somebody tell me what kind of cable and or adaptor I will need to use my glyph with the nvidea shield?
Male micro HDMI to Male mini HDMI cable. There aren't very many. I bought one off of Amazon but it failed after one use. Although that was a 3 hour session where the goggles were passed around to a bunch of kids, so they were pretty rough with bending the cable.

There are also adapters out there, but then you need more cabling.

Male micro HDMI to Male mini HDMI cable. There aren't very many. I bought one off of Amazon but it failed after one use. Although that was a 3 hour session where the goggles were passed around to a bunch of kids, so they were pretty rough with bending the cable.

There are also adapters out there, but then you need more cabling.
Thanks I ordered one that should last.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots