DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI-ICE scandal and inability to (officially) rollback firmware - not coincidental?

Xtreme Drone Pilot

Reactions
Do you remember, as a child, connecting the dots?

Take "dot 1" - famous ICE report:

DJI Likely Providing U.S. Critical Infrastructure and Law Enforcement Data to Chinese Government

and "dot 2" - DJI's reply:

DJI is aware of a bulletin about DJI issued in August by an agent in the Los Angeles office of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). The bulletin is based on clearly false and misleading claims from an unidentified source.

and "dot 3" - starting from Sept 19th 1.04.0000 firmware, there's no option in DJI Assistant to rollback to any prior fw...

Connect these 3 dots... Isn't it obvious that DJI *was* doing something nefarious and this functionality was embedded in the old FW and app (which also had ability to load and integrate external binary code from DJI servers, morphing the app like a virus - a thing strictly prohibited in app stores, yet both Apple and Google closed their eyes), and after ICE report they started quickly covering this up, by releasing new FW and removing ability to downgrade?!

Do you see what I see?

wpid-Photo-Feb-5-2014-734-PM.jpg

*ADMIN EDIT: inappropriate image changed.

:eek::rolleyes::p:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NinjaNut
I'm going to buy $10,000 worth of those $49 phones and weld them together to build an igloo-like spherical Faraday cage and happily live (and fly my Mavic) inside. :D DJI won't be able to reach me with their long-reach dirty hands!

Reactions: Hotelone
From the Wall St. Journal on Thursday:

China’s Tech Giants Have a Second Job: Helping Beijing Spy on Its People

China’s Tech Giants Have a Second Job: Helping Beijing Spy on Its People

The Chinese government is building one of the world’s most sophisticated, high-tech systems to keep watch over its citizens, including surveillance cameras, facial-recognition technology and vast computers systems that comb through terabytes of data. Central to its efforts are the country’s biggest technology companies, which are openly acting as the government’s eyes and ears in cyberspace.

--------------------
Wouldn't be much of a stretch to extend this mandate overseas, as the US-military ban on DJI products demonstrates.
I wonder how many people will still be asking "why would you want to modify your flight software" a few months from now?
My Mavic hangs up on DJI when they attempt to get it to phone home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Back to main topic, YES, they are hobbling the Mavic with their "updates". Covering their butts, and succumbing to pressure from other gov'ts.

That's why I am still on .400 for the AC, and an older version of the Go app on my LG tabby.
Rock solid, and no gimbal resets, no NFZ limitations, no alltitude/distance limits......

There is a way to get back earlier versions, search "Digdat0" on You tube.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000