DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Air: 15,164 ft Plus Emergency Landing!!!

Amckim2084

Reactions
Took the new Mavic Air out for it's first flight. After seeing a guy on YouTube get 15,110 ft, I was determined to beat it. I had a little bit different experience though. I was able to make it to 15,164 ft but on the way back, I had to do an emergency landing just 1,067 ft away from me. Didn't panic because I chose that area for that very reason of a possible emergency landing. Just kept my cool, landed it, and easily walked down and picked it up. Enjoy!!!

Amazing flight and great location! You definitely could have made it back, but way to play it safe!Thumbswayup

Reactions: Amckim2084
Amazing flight and great location! You definitely could have made it back, but way to play it safe!Thumbswayup

I thought it wasn’t suppose to auto land til 10% battery but it started at 15% battery. I really wanted to push it all the way but I was afraid if I kept it up too long, it would drop and splat into all that mud lol.

I thought it wasn’t suppose to auto land til 10% battery but it started at 15% battery. I really wanted to push it all the way but I was afraid if I kept it up too long, it would drop and splat into all that mud lol.

I was thinking that too (although I have an MP).
You kept your cool, good to see, though those fine branches near the river were a bit of concern I bet.

Ok, so you managed over 4.62km out and nearly back, no wireless issues ?
I thought the Air had a little more limited range than the MP and MPP etc, but that's pretty good.
You obviously had good LOS with signal, did you notice the wirelss strength when right out ?

My brother in law has an Air, I'd like to let him know range isn't as bad as he may think.

I was thinking that too (although I have an MP).
You kept your cool, good to see, though those fine branches near the river were a bit of concern I bet.

Ok, so you managed over 4.62km out and nearly back, no wireless issues ?
I thought the Air had a little more limited range than the MP and MPP etc, but that's pretty good.
You obviously had good LOS with signal, did you notice the wirelss strength when right out ?

My brother in law has an Air, I'd like to let him know range isn't as bad as he may think.

I don’t remember exactly what it was at 15000 but I know it stayed in the 2-3 bars out there. I wish I could have screened recorded my phone but I forgot to clear some storage to make room. But everything was perfect all the way out. No lag, very responsive to controls. I was literally in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

It switches to autolanding when the SMART_BATTERY_battery level (%) falls below the computed SMART_BATTERY_landBattery value, which is height-dependent. It starts at 10%, but then goes up as the aircraft climbs.

It switches to autolanding when the SMART_BATTERY_battery level (%) falls below the computed SMART_BATTERY_landBattery value, which is height-dependent. It starts at 10%, but then goes up as the aircraft climbs.

Ah ok. That does make sense. Thanks

good piloting skills, congrats

Thanks. I’m quite proud of myself. First emergency landing I’ve ever had and didn’t know if I could actually pull it off in such a narrow spot. Original idea was for the field but after seeing how muddy it was when I got there, I had to make a split second decision at the moment. All done with just the video feed. Makes me think of:

His palms are sweaty
Knees weak, arms are heavy.
The Mavic is going down already
Auto Landing

Haha

That is pretty **** sweet, I dont know what else you can ask outta your drone beyond that point, well except to make it all the way to your car but nice piloting for sure.. Very impressive

That is pretty **** sweet, I dont know what else you can ask outta your drone beyond that point, well except to make it all the way to your car but nice piloting for sure.. Very impressive

Thanks. I recently found out that I could have possibly made it because it doesn't shut down right away at 0% so I may have to give this another shot someday.

WOW Very intensive flight. Even I was nervous for Uo_O

I was nervous the second I cancelled RTH. Heart rate went up and by 13000 ft I was pacing back and forth watching that battery level drop lol.

Try flying faster next time. Optimal air speed is closer to 30mph.

I was at full speed going out. Stick all the way forward. I pushed it forward during RTH too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR