DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji Mavic Air crashed.. attitude mode?

pedromfgomes

Reactions
Hello. I crashed my mavic air and i still donno why.

I was just hovering and m idea was to go back and foward. When suddeenly gave me this error message: "Weak GPS signal. Aircraft is in Attitude mode and hovering may be unstable. Fly with caution. "
I was making the drone go back to me when suddenly he went left against some rocks and got sand all over the proppellers...
Here is my flight record.

Can someone help me... I dont have Dji insurance, but it seems a little strange that the drone, a 1000 euros machine, can loose signal so easly..

Thanks!

Can someone help me... I dont have Dji insurance, but it seems a little strange that the drone, a 1000 euros machine, can loose signal so easly..
It's not strange at all.
You never lost signal.
But you launched without GPS from a location where the GPS antenna had an obstructed view of the sky.
You never flew up high where it might have picked up GPS satellites.
Your drone never had enough sats to get a GPS position fix for the whole flight.
Without GPS, the drone does not know where it is and has no position holding ability and no brakes.
It can drift on the breeze and won't stop when you let go of the sticks.
If you are flying close to obstacles and have no brakes, what happens should not be a surprise.

And also, i never got anything on the way of the drone as you see, i was on a beach...
The answer is response #2 - you had nothing like the minimum recommended satellites when you took off, hence your drone couldn’t maintain its position, went into ATTI mode, and you failed to control it. Been flying an MA for long?

Reactions: dawgpilot
but i wasnt close... that was the problem.

It was meters away!

Hot chick on the beach? Check?
Showing off new drone? Check?
Waiting to learn how to fly? Uh, nope.
Waiting to at least get GPS lock before taking off? Uh, nope.
Crashing drone into the sand? At least it wasn't the water!

Did it actually cause that much damage? Maybe some broken blades.

Actually she s my wife :)

But the blades are ok. THe motor got some sand inside.... hope dji can ffix that
Have you contacted DJI yet? You do realise that any repair you send it in for is going to cost you? There’s no way you’re going to get a warranty repair

but i wasnt close... that was the problem.
It was meters away!
Imagine driving a car on ice and without brakes.
That's the situation you put your drone in with no GPS.
Just metres away is close when you have no brakes.

To have the benefit of GPS position holding, you need to be out in the open where the drone has a wide sky view, not down in a narrow valley where the skyview is blocked.

But i had signal. When suddenly went to atttittude mode :)
Your drone never got a GPS position fix during the flight.
That means it was in atti mode the whole time (not suddenly).

You had control signal so you could make the drone fly up/down/back/forward.
But your drone never got any GPS signal (because of the location).

But i had signal. When suddenly went to atttittude mode :)
No GPS lock meant that you had no automated stability control. ATTI mode means that whatever you input from the controls eg fly right, continues until you cancel it with opposing fly left command - the drone won’t stop still just because you centralise the sticks. ATTI is effectively ‘old school’ flying, and it doesn’t sound like you have enough flying experience to be able to hack that!

You are going to have to put this down to a hard (and potentially expensive) lesson! As a previous post suggested, when you get back to flying, do it in an open space, away from water, and make sure you have at least 12 satellites locked, before you takeoff.

Reactions: TiagoDS
InvisibleName gave you the best answers
Other members seem to take pleasure in
Someone's miss fortune and inexperience they forget they were inexperienced when they started out.
A good teacher encourages rather than belittle their students when they ask for help. I’m sorry for your loss, be sure to have your drone checked out sand and motors do not play well together.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000