DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji Mavic Air in plane

Josipklemen

Reactions
Hey guys, today im travelling to Ireland from Croatia with plane. First I go to London, then to Kerri. Can I take my drone with me? I saw the rules that I have to take batteries in luggage with me but I am not sure how it works so every advice is helpful.
Thank you guys.

you need to have the batteries in your hand luggage, and ideally the drone as well ,the luggage hold of an aircraft is not a good place for such items, due to temperature and lack of pressurisation, as an added precaution have the batteries below 40% charge ,and also in Lipo safe bags as well

Yes, concur with OMM above, lipo bags would be very good and yes, personally I'd carry the drone as well in your carry on.

A side note: Cargo holds are pressurized to the equivalent of approx 6,000 -7,000 ASL and although the temperature is also controlled, it can be 10-15 °F cooler than the cabin due to the way the circulation system works. (most commercial planes).

Reactions: old man mavic
Yes, concur with OMM above, lipo bags would be very good and yes, personally I'd carry the drone as well in your carry on.

A side note: Cargo holds are pressurized to the equivalent of approx 6,000 -7,000 ASL and although the temperature is also controlled, it can be 10-15 °F cooler than the cabin due to the way the circulation system works. (most commercial planes).
Not to mention the “handling” of said bags in and out of the cargo bin.

A bit of general advice for traveling on any airline, anywhere: Don’t put anything in checked baggage (going in the cargo bin of the aircraft) that you can’t stand to never see again.

Take your drone and any batteries in your hand luggage. At the security screening put it in a tray separate from your bag (as you would do a laptop or tablet). Some airports might want the drone out of any carry case, some don't.
Don't put it in the hold baggage as most (if not all) airlines do not allow lithium batteries in the hold due to the risk of fire. If it gets hot in the cabin then the cabin crew can put it in a fire safe metal box that they have for that purpose.

My tip having travelled with mine a few times by air is to treat it the same as any other electronic device with lithium batteries, and you'll be fine.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000