DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic enterprise - melting batteries

Reactions
Hi there

Has anyone else come across this amount of melting batteries? We have approx 20 batteries servicing 4 drones and they are all now showing burn marks in the lower left 4 contacts. The drone body also shows melting of plastic. Is this common?? Batteries all on average have 70 cycles each.

IMG_0929 (1).jpg

Never saw it before. Suspect a fault in the drone since it got all 6 of your batteries. Are all the contacts clean?

Never saw it before. Suspect a fault in the drone since it got all 6 of your batteries. Are all the contacts clean?
Yes all the contacts were clean, and all 5 drones were causing the batteries to melt, or vice versa, all the batteries are showing melting regardless of which drone they're in.

We operate 5 Mavic Enterprise drones (4 Dual, 1 Zoom) and use mostly the original self heating batteries, but have used a number of the regular Mavic 2 batteries. We have almost 100 hours on a couple of the drones and regularly inspect them. We have had to replace a number of batteries due to swelling, but have never seen any burn or other marks on the batteries or unit.

Hi there

Has anyone else come across this amount of melting batteries? We have approx 20 batteries servicing 4 drones and they are all now showing burn marks in the lower left 4 contacts. The drone body also shows melting of plastic. Is this common?? Batteries all on average have 70 cycles each.

View attachment 125548
My thought would be that one battery with bad contacts (or drone) caused the entire problem. The battery had bad contacts which burned the mating contacts. Then as that battery got exchanged between the other drones burned those as well. Unfortunately by switching batteries between all the drones, eventually all of the batteries and contacts ended up getting burned or arc'ed in the same manner. It may have been originally caused by one of the swollen batteries that has since been discarded, but the damage is done. Unfortunately the only fix I can see is to replace the contact connector on all of the drones, and then replace all of the batteries with new ones as well. I do realize this is a very radical and costly step to take, but I just think the arcing and heating is just going to get worse and worse till one loses power and drops out of the sky. I am not an engineer in any way, but do work with electrical contacts a lot and once burned they normally just keep going down hill. Just my opinion, sorry.

All my batteries go from the charger into clean plastic ziploc bags and after use, back into the ziploc bags until they go back on the charger. As a photographer, I know how dust and dirt can get into camera sensors in unimaginable ways. Although I've only ever had a one minor contact issues with an I1P, discovered before takeoff, we are absolutely dependent on all those contacts making a good clean contact.

Happening on a mavic 2 zoom and also it's replacement both of which fell out of the sky trying to contact DJI but they are not returning my repair and inquiry as it was two batteries I bought from the same location on the same date so I'm leaning towards its a batch issue for the batteries themselves as I have 8 batteries and none show any signs of arcing on the rest. I believe from charging and plugging drone in causes the contacts to spread ever so slightly every time but more so on the defective batch leaving a space and causing an arc. Mine also where the four contacts the original poster is saying don't think it's your drones try getting some contact cleaner and see if you can match the failed batteries to a lot number or batch number to rule out any accidents and do not fly over people not even remotely close with and mavic as truth be told they are probably the most unreliable drone I've had 5 mavics warranties since last October and the list continues. Good luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore