DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji Mavic Platinum Hovers after attempting to catch land, Controls don't work

renylang

Reactions
So I flew my drone over land and decided to "catch land it"
I have done this before and it works perfectly fine.
However, when I caught it and tried to land it and swipe to the right... it made the motor go "override"
It said, " motor override," so drone just flew back up maybe 6 feet and hovered. Motor speed on the remote control was around 500-550 rpm (if I remember correctly).
I could not move the drone forward, backward, ascend or descend with the remote control nor could I land it using the DJI go 4 app.
All I could move was the gimbal, take a picture, and record.
During this time, I turned off the "enable vision positioning".
I still could not move the drone.
I tried putting the two joysticks inwards for emergency landing but it did not do anything.
So I waited maybe 18 minutes until it reached 10 percent battery and it landed on it's own.
Firmware is up to date. I calibrated prior to flying.
Any ideas? Besides not catching it anymore.
Thanks a lot

Did you turn off landing protection first? What do you mean “swipe right”?

Typical procedure is to turn off downward sensors, bring the Mavic to where you can grab it, then turn off the motors by pushing the left stick all the way down and holding it there.

No I did fail to turn off the landing protection first.
Sorry "swipe right," meaning I pressed the land and slide to land swipe right in the iphone.
I did fail to turn off the motors by pushing the left stick all the way down.

But the thing is after I failed to do all that, I could not move the aircraft at all...

The motors fought you trying to avoid landing on an obstacle. I think rather than “motor override” your warning may have been “motor overload.”

I don’t know specifically what caused it to fail to respond to commands after that, but basically you did everything wrong in trying to hand catch it.

Reactions: tccraiger
It's possible the controller had a glitch. Mine has done something similar where it didnt respond to any inputs. My mavic was over a mile away at the time. I tried to reset the app first and that did nothing. I then turned off the controller and turned it back on and that solved it. Did you try restarting the controller at all during this? I think most of us know this software isn't 100% reliable all the time. Stuff happens. Just have to know how to deal with it.

The motors fought you trying to avoid landing on an obstacle. I think rather than “motor override” your warning may have been “motor overload.”

I don’t know specifically what caused it to fail to respond to commands after that, but basically you did everything wrong in trying to hand catch it.
Okay Thank You for your input. Greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
It's possible the controller had a glitch. Mine has done something similar where it didnt respond to any inputs. My mavic was over a mile away at the time. I tried to reset the app first and that did nothing. I then turned off the controller and turned it back on and that solved it. Did you try restarting the controller at all during this? I think most of us know this software isn't 100% reliable all the time. Stuff happens. Just have to know how to deal with it.
I also tried to reset the app too and it did nothing. However I was too scared to restarting the remote controller, thinking the drone would just go haywire. So when you restarted your controller... it did not lose connection to the aircraft? That is what I am assuming...

I also tried to reset the app too and it did nothing. However I was too scared to restarting the remote controller, thinking the drone would just go haywire. So when you restarted your controller... it did not lose connection to the aircraft? That is what I am assuming...
It did lose connection when I turned it off, but it connected back immediately when turning the controller back on. After the reset of the controller, everything worked fine again. It was a little nerve racking to reset the controller, but I think the fact that it wasn't responding at all troubled me more. Enough so that I didn't mind attempting a reset.

I hand catch mine all the time.. you have to turn off landing protection and then it basically just lands on your hand... easy peasy.

I hand catch mine all the time.. you have to turn off landing protection and then it basically just lands on your hand... easy peasy.
I don't even turn that off. I just catch it. It fights a little, but not enough for me to want to go through the additional steps of turning off the sensors.

Turning off the RC will initiate Failsafe RTH after 3 seconds. If within 16 feet of the home point it is supposed to descend and land.

I suggest you go to an open area, insure that the home point is set correctly, send it out 50 feet or so and push the RTH button to verify that it will return, and then send it our again and turn off the controller and see what happens. Once you turn on the controller and it regains connection you can cancel RTH.

I also suggest you do the same with your phone/tablet. Send it out a ways and then unplug the USB cable. You will still have control using the RC.

I have successfully done both of these tests and it has given me more confidence in the equipment.

Turning off the RC will initiate Failsafe RTH after 3 seconds. If within 16 feet of the home point it is supposed to descend and land.

I suggest you go to an open area, insure that the home point is set correctly, send it out 50 feet or so and push the RTH button to verify that it will return, and then send it our again and turn off the controller and see what happens. Once you turn on the controller and it regains connection you can cancel RTH.

I also suggest you do the same with your phone/tablet. Send it out a ways and then unplug the USB cable. You will still have control using the RC.

I have successfully done both of these tests and it has given me more confidence in the equipment.
Hopefully he already knows what will happen when doing those things. It's pretty important to know exactly how the aircraft will respond under certain circumstances. When things go wrong, you don't want to just "wing it." I was basically saying the same thing before when I said stuff happens and you have to know how to deal with it.

...However I was too scared to restarting the remote controller, thinking the drone would just go haywire...
Hopefully he already knows what will happen when doing those things. It's pretty important to know exactly how the aircraft will respond under certain circumstances....
The OP stating he was too scared to restart tells me that he does not already know what will happen. That's why I suggested he take it out and test.
...When things go wrong, you don't want to just "wing it." I was basically saying the same thing before when I said stuff happens and you have to know how to deal with it.
Absolutely correct.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters