DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 2 / DJI Fly app .TXT and .DAT files

cheddar-man

Reactions
At the moment I am using my iPhone 12 Mini to run the DJI Fly App.
After my first few test flights I accessed the flight logs on my MacBook Pro by connecting my Mini12 to it via iTunes, opening the phone, clicking File Sharing and selecting the DJI App and then the FlightRecords folder (you cannot "open" this folder in iTunes but have to save it (I did to my desktop) where it can be opened).

Once opened on the desktop I notice that there are not only the .TXT files in the folder but also .DAT files.

I have two questions:

1/. Are these .DAT files the same ones as those on the drone's internal storage?

2/. As I cannot access the DJI FlightRecords folder in iTunes it's going to continue to fill up with flight records. Is there a way to clear it after downloading it to my computer?

1/. Are these .DAT files the same ones as those on the drone's internal storage?
No they aren't the same ... they contain some similar data but mainly & roughly the .TXT contains the telemetry data & the .DAT log the raw sensor & motor data. Go here & read up more about logs, especially under point 2 --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide

Furthermore ... both available .DAT logs (mobile device & craft stored) coming from a Mini 2 is encrypted & can't be read by others than DJI staff.

2/. As I cannot access the DJI FlightRecords folder in iTunes it's going to continue to fill up with flight records. Is there a way to clear it after downloading it to my computer?
Should be possible to get the log files in the phone deleted by deleting the log in the FLY app itself ... can't guide you here as I'm only using the DJI GO 4 app for my drones. Also be aware that the mobile device .DAT log usually is deleted if the flights are synced to the DJI cloud service in the FLY app (you can change the default setting under profile in the FLY app). Can be good to know if you in the future have other drones beside the Mini 2 that uses the FLY app ... where the mobile device .DAT log is readable for us.

Also try out File Transfer instead of iTunes ... that might give you a possibility to delete files directly on your phone.
You have it here --> Android File Transfer

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
As for the .DAT and .TXT records, they are small enough I wouldn't worry about deleting them. Plus, DJI may depend on them for any crash insurance protection; keeping them factory stock is probably a good idea.

Deleting video and image caches and app update .APK files is where you can save significant space.

ps: by personal experience, too much manual house cleaning on the drone is problematic. Stick with the cache, image and video files.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme