DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI MINI 2 PROCESSOR CHIP OVERHEATED error

michael_b410

Reactions
I have a DJI MINI 2 that's a few months old. I got the fly more bundle and each battery has 15-18 charges. I had one of my batteries charged for a few days so decided to let it sit and drain turned on but not flying...... going back a month or so ago I noticed that it got up to about 55Celcius but thought it was because it was about 100F outside at the time (south Texas heat) and when it had gotten that hot the camera started acting up a little. Freezing and skipping a bit. I just contributed it to the heat. It never even gave me a heat warning that day.

WELL! I had the drone sitting here a few hours ago to drain the battery like I mentioned before...and in an air conditioned room. It got down to about 72% and then I decided to do an IMU calibration. It calibrated successfully and maybe a minute later I got an error saying "processor chip overheated. Turn off aircraft and wait for it to cool off before flying" or something like that. I'm really concerned as it was at about 55-56 celcius from just sitting here turned on for a while in a cool room. I'm kinda new with the Mini2 and haven't really found any helpful info on this topic so far. Did I get a defective unit?! Thanks in advance whoever can give me advice.

Last edited:
By the lack of responses, I think your situation is rare. If you are not in the warranty return window or you don't have DJI CARE REFRESH, then you can do the following to return it. You can GET DJI CARE for cheap on a Mav Mini 2. As long as the thing flies and the gimbal works for the first few minutes that you fly it you can apply for CARE REFRESH and get it after you show them the phones screen capture recording of a short flight in your house. They ask you to press screen record, then fly your dron up a few feet, turn left, then right, then land. Then they ask to move the gimbal up and then down. Then they ask you to go to the gimbal screen on the app to check for errors. There may be a couple other app screens they have you go to as well. Then you have to send them the uncut video. If the flight goes well and no errors pop up, you will get DJI CARE and you can return it for a new one, no questions asked.

By the lack of responses, I think your situation is rare. If you are not in the warranty return window or you don't have DJI CARE REFRESH, then you can do the following to return it. You can GET DJI CARE for cheap on a Mav Mini 2. As long as the thing flies and the gimbal works for the first few minutes that you fly it you can apply for CARE REFRESH and get it after you show them the phones screen capture recording of a short flight in your house. They ask you to press screen record, then fly your dron up a few feet, turn left, then right, then land. Then they ask to move the gimbal up and then down. Then they ask you to go to the gimbal screen on the app to check for errors. There may be a couple other app screens they have you go to as well. Then you have to send them the uncut video. If the flight goes well and no errors pop up, you will get DJI CARE and you can return it for a new one, no questions asked.
Thank you very much for your advice! That's great to know! I'm trying to avoid returning it because I had to get it replaced once already but I used the express option to avoid the repair process because I crashed the first one. They sent me a brand new one and I verified it is new. Just hoping it's not faulty. I appreciate you letting me know about that. I do have the DJI Care.

@michael_b410 the problem with the Mini is it does not have a built in cooling fan, so unless there is some airflow over the and through the drone as in flight, then it can cause a overheat issue
its best to have a fan blowing over the drone if it is just sitting while you do updates etc ,and indeed the batteries and charger when they are being charged
when you think of it there is a lot of heat producing components packaged into a very small space and dont forget the battery produces heat during use as well

@michael_b410 the problem with the Mini is it does not have a built in cooling fan, so unless there is some airflow over the and through the drone as in flight, then it can cause a overheat issue
its best to have a fan blowing over the drone if it is just sitting while you do updates etc ,and indeed the batteries and charger when they are being charged
when you think of it there is a lot of heat producing components packaged into a very small space and dont forget the battery produces heat during use as well
Thank you so much for your reply! That really put my mind at ease. Makes sense that it needs to be cooled. Next time I need to drain a battery I'll probably have the propellers spinning with a fan over it close to the AC. I haven't been able to fly lately because south TX is overtaken with huge mosquitoes that attack you instantly so I'm trying to stay inside as much as possible LOL ?

Reactions: old man mavic
Since the mini2 doesn't have active cooling you do not want to leave it sitting powered up for nothing, just avoid doing this. Nothing wrong
Since the mini2 doesn't have active cooling you do not want to leave it sitting powered up for nothing, just avoid doing this. Nothing wrong with it though.
Thank you very much!!!! Your advice has been noted and I will definitely keep it cooled off next time. I'm hoping I didn't cause any harm but am going to try to fly it today if the mosquitoes allow me to LOL

I have a DJI MINI 2 that's a few months old. I got the fly more bundle and each battery has 15-18 charges. I had one of my batteries charged for a few days so decided to let it sit and drain turned on but not flying...... going back a month or so ago I noticed that it got up to about 55Celcius but thought it was because it was about 100F outside at the time (south Texas heat) and when it had gotten that hot the camera started acting up a little. Freezing and skipping a bit. I just contributed it to the heat. It never even gave me a heat warning that day.

WELL! I had the drone sitting here a few hours ago to drain the battery like I mentioned before...and in an air conditioned room. It got down to about 72% and then I decided to do an IMU calibration. It calibrated successfully and maybe a minute later I got an error saying "processor chip overheated. Turn off aircraft and wait for it to cool off before flying" or something like that. I'm really concerned as it was at about 55-56 celcius from just sitting here turned on for a while in a cool room. I'm kinda new with the Mini2 and haven't really found any helpful info on this topic so far. Did I get a defective unit?! Thanks in advance whoever can give me advice.
Usually when I have my drones running to do a firmware update I have a small fan blowing on them. I know they can get hot just sitting and the internal fan just doesn’t provide enough airflow

I believe your problem might be that you have the drone lying flat on its belly.
If so, you just cut off the intake cooling ports.
If you're going to drain the battery down in the way you said, prop up the front and back of the Mini with say, two books and have the mid section of the Mini open..............overheating problem solved.
Yes, a fan wouldn't hurt in any case.

I too had the same error in Las Vegas... the Mini 2 sat on a small wooden table I use for take offs and landings in my back yard. Without the props turning and/or airflow from flight, the controller did not have sufficient cooling... and by the time I realized what was happening... I had the error on screen and prop start was locked out. I do not fly my drones in temps exceeding 35 degrees C (95 F) but obviously the little "brain" of the Mini 2 heats up pretty fast when not flying. A one hour cool down indoors did the trick, but by then the outside temp had crept too close to 35 C, so I waited until the next day to fly it. This is my first Summer with the Mini 2, so...lesson learned. I have let my M2 Pro and Air 2 S sit in similar conditions without incident. Obviously not having the cooling systems of the bigger boys, the Mini 2 relies on flight for cooling. I have never had an error whilst in flight with the Mini 2 in similar conditions.

Fly safely,

Joe

Usually when I have my drones running to do a firmware update I have a small fan blowing on them. I know they can get hot just sitting and the internal fan just doesn’t provide enough airflow
The Mini 2 has no internal fan. It has passive cooling only.

Attachments

• IMG_0175.JPEG
    IMG_0175.JPEG
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Are you aware that (unlike some manufacturers) DJI includes battery management - it’s built in to the Mini 2 batts and will slowly start auto-discharge in a couple days. There was a bug that prevented auto-discharge under some circumstances, but DJI has since fixed that with a battery firmware update.

Details here:

Thank you so much for your reply! That really put my mind at ease. Makes sense that it needs to be cooled. Next time I need to drain a battery I'll probably have the propellers spinning with a fan over it close to the AC. I haven't been able to fly lately because south TX is overtaken with huge mosquitoes that attack you instantly so I'm trying to stay inside as much as possible LOL ?
Why not use the battery hub and charge your phone up with the battery you want to run down

I realize this thread is from 6 months ago and is about the Mini 2, however I feel like I have heard just one too many answers coming back about the unit sitting and overheating (such as during pre-flight checks etc). I have had two Mini SE drones in the past few weeks, and the first one was FINE until I applied firmware update, after which it started to have regular processor overheat warnings withing just minutes of sitting on the table. I checked with DJI who wanted it sent in to check it, but I decided to just return it to my reseller and got it replaced. The replacement Mini SE I purposefully held off from doing firmware update, and low and behold it is still working fine after 30 min. just sitting during pre-flight checks.

I suspect what is happening is people just apply the firmware update right off the bat because the DJI Fly app says so. But I happened to notice the firmware seems to lead to the processor overheat condition. As the Mini 2 and Mini SE are related, I'd have to suspect the same thing there. Don't know if the Mini 2 can be reset to original firmware, then check if the processor overheated issue disappears. This could be quite possible if a bug of some sort in the firmware or processor overclocking is being done to speed up something, leading to excess heat the physical drone is not built for....

These small drones depend on the airflow of flying for their cooling. I had some fun shining a powerful flashlight into the hollow spaces of a Mini 2, and then had a much better understanding of all the passive venting.

I guess I don't feel that this is a design deficiency or a firmware problem. The drone is designed to fly. Others will see it differently.

My procedures of getting up in the air don't have the drone powered up on the ground for but a minute for satellite acquisition. That's quickly followed by hovering at 6' or so and awaiting RTH update, more satellites, and any unexpected stuff. I guess cooling starts then too!

I've never experienced an overheat on the desk while doing firmware upgrades or other configs (and I do do them!) I live in the Pacific Northwest, not known for its hot weather :)

But I happened to notice the firmware seems to lead to the processor overheat condition.
Ot it's just that the warning level has been lowered in the newer firmware so yours is cooking itself just as much, only without you knowing.

Your 100% on target.
Raise the back of drone up blow air at the front as long as the gimbal is free and vent holes are clear. Your fine.

Reactions: old man mavic
Ot it's just that the warning level has been lowered in the newer firmware so yours is cooking itself just as much, only without you knowing.
Do you have inside information on the newer firmware which tells us the warning level was changed? If so, I would like to see it, if you can direct me to it. My replacement Mini SE with the older firmware was not getting hot, and even the battery temp. was remaining stable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000