DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 2, Transcoding failed.

Brigs66

Reactions
I have just bought a Mini 2, and am using a Samsung A5 phone with it. When I take 4k video with the drone and try to open the clip with the dji fly editor/create, I keep getting a message that says transcoding failed, so basically I cant edit any video on the fly app.....Quickshots works fine though...Could it be that Im using a incompatible phone Samsung A5....Would anyone have any ideas please?

There are a lot of issues with this on both the Iphone and the Samsung , i think and update is needed as more posts come in about this.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and land on Water.

There are a lot of issues with this on both the Iphone and the Samsung , i think and update is needed as more posts come in about this.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and land on Water.
I cannot uderstand why DJI dont make their app so it works with all Android devices after a certain year...Its very frustrating...It seems according to their compatibility list that many of the S series Samsung phones work but not the A series..but when you go to buy a Samsung S series phone that isn t the new S 21, which is not on their list they are almost impossible to find...Does anyone use Huawei?

I just bought a Brand new Galaxy S7 Edge off Ebay, I was using a Galaxy S5 mini, 6 years old tech but brand new when bought and has served me well for 3+ years. But as it is tech evolves and my banking apps backed out one by one from my old Android 5 OS. So I "updated" to a 5 year old phone in the S7 edge which is now running Android 8 (Banking Apps back up and running :)). Ebay has about any phone in the "S" series and from reading reports the S7 is the last series that reportedly works fine with DJI Although I know people that use S5 and 6's.

The below video is 3 years+ old and explains why Android is a hit or miss with DJI and many applications. You are dealing with literally hundreds of variations of Android out there. DJI and any reputable program writer deals with a Root/Base as released from Google Android system. The DJI Fly App makes things worse with it's 64 bit architecture, and limiting devices further.

They (DJI) certainly can't be responsible to know your exact device or carrier that you use and the variation of Android that your provider may apply. Watch this video and it will explain the technical difficulties involved, Apple suffers from none of the issues as they have but One (1) OS, not hundreds of variations.

Last edited:
Huawei P20 lite phone works fine for me, although I just have it as a back-up to my Oneplus 7t. Now just bought cheap tablet Huawei to use as well.

I cannot uderstand why DJI dont make their app so it works with all Android devices after a certain year...Its very frustrating...It seems according to their compatibility list that many of the S series Samsung phones work but not the A series..but when you go to buy a Samsung S series phone that isn t the new S 21, which is not on their list they are almost impossible to find...Does anyone use Huawei?
I do. If you look back in posts a couple of years ago we had a run on the Huawei XT2 and we all called it the Wunderphone. We were buying them for as little as $48 or some ridiculous price from Walmart and Amazon. It was a cellular promotion but we were getting them just to use with drones. So, yes, Huawei does work. Be sure when you look for a "drone phone only" that you check the "nits" or brightness of the screen. The advantage of a phone for flying only is you don't get interrupted with texts or calls yet you still have WiFi to update with. My drone phone is always packed right with the drone while my real phone remains in my pocket.

Android is open source software so the variations created by manufacturers are too many to invest engineer’s time coding.

Reactions: brett8883
Android is open source software so the variations created by manufacturers are too many to invest engineer’s time coding.
Actually thanks to it being open source it's easier to code for and resolve issues. And it has significant amount of abstraction to work well across multitude of devices. And it's not as much of issue of coding but with such multitude of device validating for every device is resource intensive. And sometimes a very small thing is an issue that fixing it would not be dev intensive but to get to that point would be QA intensive.

But to test for closed source and pain in the *** to debug iOS is not that bad because it's vastly narrower variance in devices.

I have just bought a Mini 2, and am using a Samsung A5 phone with it. When I take 4k video with the drone and try to open the clip with the dji fly editor/create, I keep getting a message that says transcoding failed, so basically I cant edit any video on the fly app.....Quickshots works fine though...Could it be that Im using a incompatible phone Samsung A5....Would anyone have any ideas please?
The editor only works up to 1080p video editing, that's the way it's designed. It's the same on all their editors Go4, Mimo and Fly.

You'll need a fast computer and buy a programme that can edit 4k video.

Not a fault, maybe the editor should state that, rather than twirl a little and give an error.

The editor only works up to 1080p video editing, that's the way it's designed. It's the same on all their editors Go4, Mimo and Fly.

You'll need a fast computer and buy a programme that can edit 4k video.

Not a fault, maybe the editor should state that, rather than twirl a little and give an error.
I edited some videos on movie maker the free version, but I couldnt export into social media such as FB and Whatsapp as the files were too big...How do you reduce the size of the files after editing on your PC editing software?...Thankyou

I edited some videos on movie maker the free version, but I couldnt export into social media such as FB and Whatsapp as the files were too big...How do you reduce the size of the files after editing on your PC editing software?...Thankyou
Can you upload to YouTube, etc and the post the “share” link on your blogs... that’s how we do it on these forums.

I bought my Mini 2 just two weeks ago and I'm using the DJI Fly App with the latest updates. The prime issue is that I'm hard pressed to get the DJI Editor to work in any reasonable way. I've yet to figure the "secret ritual" or procedural order (and I think it depends on the phases of the Moon…) to link the Mini to my tablet. I always turn off the WiFi on the tablet first, then activate the link and every time, I get the switching error, and it does not matter if I switch or not, it will fail… Then, all of a sudden, they link…

As for the editor, if DJI thinks their online tutorial for the editor will actually instruct one how to use it, then they probably also think they could teach a class to master the Cantonese Language in a short 10-minute video also… I've watched so many, many YouTube Videos on the editor and none seems to really go deep enough and my editor looks nothing like the videos.

I also experience the 4K Transcoding Error. I've verified the 4K files on the MicroSD Card are valid, so I'm just guessing that my Samsung Galaxy S2 Tablet just is not powerful enough to process these monster files… I say that because I have downloaded those files and my desktop computer stutters a bit just viewing them. I do not have a dedicated video card in my computer.

I can record and edit 2.7K video; however, I get a GREEN Bar across the bottom of the video. The Bar is large enough to show "weather warnings or school closings…" The bar always shows up in the videos that I save to Google's "My Drive", but it does not show up in the "composed files" saved to tablet album. You can see the GREEN Bar in the screen shot below...

So I'm guessing I need a faster, more powerful tablet to get the video editing ability…

Below, I've inserted a screen shot of the typical smart phone view of the editor. Below that is a screen shot of my tablet. The Editor locks my screen into Portrait Mode to use the editor. Even if I lock the screen before running the editor, it disables Landscape Mode, the funny thing is, if I try to add a file, it immediately locks in Landscape Mode to view the files and after I select the files and click ADD, it jumps back to the editor in Portrait Mode…

OnLine Editor.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom