DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 3 Pro

tico821

Reactions
I received a Mini 3 for Christmas from my wife, she got me the version with RC-N1 controller. I am tempted to return it and swap it our for the RC model. Any thoughts or recommendations on that? I had the original Mavic when it first came out and I remember how much of hassle it was to mount the phone and so on. Has that gotten any better? Is the screen brightness on the RC controller better than flying with the RC-N1 version? If I was to keep the RC-N1 I would be flying it with the iPhone 13 Pro Max Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: rickmurray1989
@tico821,the new DJI RC controller ,has the advantage of being easier to set up and get the drone in the air that's a given ,in other respects its functionality,is very similar to other controllers,of course the original mavic used the go 4 app, and the screen device was mounted at the bottom of the RC ,where now the fly app is required to fly the drone, and the screen device is mounted at the top of the RC,and if in both instances, IF you require to use a larger device, such as a I pad ,then additional mounting fixtures are needed ,to achieve such use

Has that gotten any better?
Whilst I find no difficulty in mounting a phone in the swing out arms of the older mavic style controllers I have to say that I think that the way the phone is mounted on the RC231/RC-N1 is easier.
But I also think there is a knack to it, I initially found it quite difficult to get the phone's plug out of the controller on its own.
So now I simultaneously grip the bottom face of the plug and the top face of the antennae in a pinch and pull both out as I extend the antennae.
I then place the far edge of the phone in the groove in the antennae and, gripping the controller with both hands, I use my thumbs to push the phone and antennae out until phone 'pops' into the corresponding groove in the controller.
It took far longer to type that than it takes to do.
To remove the phone I was concerned about dropping something whilst doing that so I disconnect the cable from the phone then grip the controller between the last three fingers of my left hand and its palm and hold the near-left corner of the phone between my left hand's first finger and thumb.
I then grip the left and right sides of the antennae between the middle part of the first finger and knuckle area of the thumb of my right hand, pinch those part 'together' whilst at the same time pivoting about the the phone's edge the tips of that first finger and thumb and ease those finger tips away from the phone. This draws the antennae with the finger tips releasing the phone. The slightly push of my fingers on the far edge of the phone lifts that edge up out of the groove in the antennae. Again it takes far longer to type that than it does to perform the action.
It's so easy that I didn't remember what I do and had to do it to the see what I do.

Can't comment on the DJI RC as I don't have one but would your Mrs be offended if you changed the present. I doubt you will get a straight swap so you may have to fork out some additional money.

Going by my experience, I'd keep the RC-N1. I had the smart built in screen controller and found the "quickness of getting in the air" spiel more of a myth than reality. If you have a dedicated device like an older phone or a tablet, you can be in the air just as fast if not faster. I found the dedicated DJI remote to be a pain in the sense that every single time I had to click through and acknowledge that the wifi and bluetooth were turned off. For me, it was also glitchy and while the screen was reasonably bright, it was small.

I got a brand new Mini3pro on friday (the third one!) and this time I bought it with just the RC-N1. The first mini3pro I bought I bought drone only since i had a controller for my mini2. The only problem there is that I still fly my mini2 and binding/unbinding became a pain. That first aircraft had some gremlins so I returned it thinking the DJI RC was the better option since most people were saying so. Turned out not be true and I returned that aircraft due to camera blurriness and general dissatisfaction with the new remote.

I think, finally, I have a good aircraft and it is working well with the RC-N1. I flew it for almost half an hour today before the rains chased me indoors (man I hate Toronto weather this time of year!) and it performed exactly they way I hoped it would with good image quality, no flight gremlins, and no app lockups.

I'll keep this short (if I can).
Yes... Exchange the set for the one with the DJI RC. Then, if you like buy a RCN1 separately. There are lots of them floating around out there. You can probably get one used, then you'll have both. Getting the DJI RC in the kit and getting the RCN1 saparately (new) will be cheaper than having the m3 with the RCN1 in the kit and buying a DJI RC separately. There are advantages to having both.

The DJI RC IMO was the way to go, if for no other reason that rapid deployment. Turn the controller on, then the drone. Wait for sats and then launch. No fumbling with phone, tablet and cables. If the screen isn't bright enough a screen shade will help. As noted by others there are lots of programmable features that the DJI RC has, lacking in the RCN1. I always felt that the RCN1 was a "downgrade" from previous standard controllers. I still feel that way.. However the RCN1 will allow you to use a larger tablet and in the future, should DJI release the SDK third party apps will be available that you will not be able to download to the DJI RC. JMO

Reactions: JimSteadman
Enjoy the new Mini3pro, @tico821
Oh what I wouldn't do to have some West Palm Beach weather right now! This is what I have been contending with at home for the last four days. Not the greatest conditions to put the new bird through some tests!
1672673746702.jpeg
Jan 1st, 2023 - Mississauga's Absolute World condos. Downtown Toronto skyline in the far right hardly visible with clouds and fog.

Very nice gift from your wife. With all respect to that thoughtfulness I would swap over to the DJI RC. You’ll have your iPhone always on the ready, easier setup with less hassle when travelling or walking about.

Once that’s done ✅…enjoy.

🇨🇦👍

Reactions: vindibona1
I personally just got the DJI RC (after having the Mini 3 Pro for several months) and I would 100% recommend it if you don't mind paying the extra $150. I greatly appreciate not having to hassle with putting a phone on the controller and starting the app, etc,etc. Also love the fact that it has a second dial that can be used to adjust camera settings and 2 custom buttons instead of one.
It also is supposed to have higher quality control sticks which I as initially a bit skeptical of, but I did feel like it gave me better control for complex moves.

Reactions: drwerner
Just a quick response. The difference between an iPhone screen and the rc screen is negligible. In direct sunlight, neither is going to be good. But, the iPhone, iPad screen will give you better colors and better contrast so you know what you are shooting better. Just my 2 cents. Save the money and get another battery or some accessories.
Maps are better as well with an internet/cell service connection

Enjoy the new Mini3pro, @tico821
Oh what I wouldn't do to have some West Palm Beach weather right now! This is what I have been contending with at home for the last four days. Not the greatest conditions to put the new bird through some tests!
View attachment 158993
Jan 1st, 2023 - Mississauga's Absolute World condos. Downtown Toronto skyline in the far right hardly visible with clouds and fog.

I've always admired those buildings. ;) For a moment I thought those were the ones I see driving along the 401 in the east end. As far as the RCN1 vs DJI RC debate is concerned, I always smile when I hear the main "plus" of the DJI RC over the RCN1 as being less of a "hassle" to get into the air with. Hassle? Do you mean taking your phone out of your pocket, slipping it into the RCN1 cradle and connecting a cable? Do they mean THAT fifteen second hassle? lol! My god people ... that;s why the good lord gave us opposable thumbs!

As far as I see it there are pros and cons to both but the main downside is that the RCN1 "ties up" your phone (if you're using your actual phone and not a tablet) while you're flying. Other than that the RCN1 has many advantages, a couple of the big ones are ... you're not locked in to ONE viewing medium, AND the biggest one for me is that you can fly FPV with your drone using something like the DroneMask! And lets not forget there is still some debate as to whether or not the DJI RC gives the same range as the RCN1. All this is just my opinion of course.

I decided to buy my Mini 3 Pro without any controller.

I already had a RC-N1 controller from my Mini 2. When I upgraded from the Mini 2 to the Mini 3 Pro, I started using my Apple iPad Mini (6th Gen), which I already had, as the screen for the RC-N1. Wow, I LOVE it! Screen is BIG and bright; the set up does require a small extra plastic bracket (which was cheap on Amazon and works great, it's quite simple), it's completely trivial to set up, really easy. Having the big screen is wonderful. I already had the iPad Mini, I already had the RC-N1. It works great and I'm very happy with the setup.

Reactions: skycam509
MY TWO CENTS
The spiffy new remote is a game changer and new things being added now and then really makes things so much easier ,no more wires no more clamps no more tripods

I'm a little late to the party here, as it looks like you've made a decision, but here's my 2 cents, FWIW.

I recently purchased a Mini 3 Pro and had the same dilemma. I use an iPad Mini 6 with my Air2s. It is a piece of cake to set up with a small adapter to make the clamp reach far enough. I like the larger screen, so I wasn't sure if I'd like the RC controller, or not.

I went with the RC controller, figuring if I didn't like it, I could use the other controller that came with my Air2s. I'm very glad I went with the RC controller. It's brighter than the iPad and super convenient for quick deployment. I also don't have to make sure the iPad is charged, and I can fit everything into the bag that came with the Fly More Combo. The controller feels very nice in my hands and I also get the benefit of the C1 and C2 buttons on the back, and the extra wheel on the top corner. I have used those a lot! The RC controller screen is so crystal clear, I don't miss the extra area on the iPad at all.

I will probably also bind my Air2s to this controller and use it for both. The only instance where the iPad still might be better is in a search and rescue scenario where you're trying see something specific in real time.

It sounds like you already made the right decision!

I decided to buy my Mini 3 Pro without any controller.

I already had a RC-N1 controller from my Mini 2. When I upgraded from the Mini 2 to the Mini 3 Pro, I started using my Apple iPad Mini (6th Gen), which I already had, as the screen for the RC-N1. Wow, I LOVE it! Screen is BIG and bright; the set up does require a small extra plastic bracket (which was cheap on Amazon and works great, it's quite simple), it's completely trivial to set up, really easy. Having the big screen is wonderful. I already had the iPad Mini, I already had the RC-N1. It works great and I'm very happy with the setup.
I was in the same situation. I love the iPad Mini 6, and you're right - the setup is a breeze. Once I used the RC controller, though, I don't miss the iPad at all (I still use it with my Air2s). I thought I would miss the extra screen area, but the RC screen looks fantastic! The controller has a nicer feel to it, too. I'm not saying the RC-N1 is bad, this is just nicer IMO. I also love the iPad for editing video with Lumafusion.

My wife gave me the DJI Mini 3 Pro with the DJI RC controller for Christmas, and I love it. The screen has excellent resolution and contrast, and works well in bright sunlight. I can't imagine it would be any better if I were using an RC-N1 with an iPhone. And it is so easy to grab the Mini 3 and RC and you're off and flying in minimal time, and your cellphone is not sidelined and still ready for use as a cellphone. I can't say I ever used an RC-N1 so I really can't speak to the difference between the two controllers, but I must say, I have no complaints with the DJI RC. If I were you tico, I'd make the trade. And oh yeah, by the way, I live in Palm Beach County and the weather has be absolutely perfect for flying the Mini 3 everyday since Christmas, which I've been doing. Pinch me, I'm living the dream!

Reactions: timinator
My wife gave me the DJI Mini 3 Pro with the DJI RC controller for Christmas, and I love it. The screen has excellent resolution and contrast, and works well in bright sunlight. I can't imagine it would be any better if I were using an RC-N1 with an iPhone. And it is so easy to grab the Mini 3 and RC and you're off and flying in minimal time, and your cellphone is not sidelined and still ready for use as a cellphone. I can't say I ever used an RC-N1 so I really can't speak to the difference between the two controllers, but I must say, I have no complaints with the DJI RC. If I were you tico, I'd make the trade. And oh yeah, by the way, I live in Palm Beach County and the weather has be absolutely perfect for flying the Mini 3 everyday since Christmas, which I've been doing. Pinch me, I'm living the dream!
Now you're just rubbing it in. I don't think I have seen the sun since I drove back from Florida in mid December! Yesterday was another miserable day:
1673191778801.jpeg
The irony is that once I got home and the batteries were charging, the sun came out for about an hour and a half before sunset! This morning, it is back to overcast conditions. I never thought I'd say this but I need an arctic blast to blow out all this cloud cover!

• Wow
Reactions: vandoh2000
Now you're just rubbing it in. I don't think I have seen the sun since I drove back from Florida in mid December!
Sorry about that! I grew up in Michigan so I know what you're going through with day after day of cloudy weather.

I also have and update to my previous post that may be important to you. I just learned today that DJI RC controller does NOT support RTMP/Live Streaming. If this feature is important to you may want to consider holding on to your RC-N1 controller as it does support it.

I'm new to this hobby so I'm learning as I go. If you haven't already done so, it would be wise for you to do a detailed feature comparison between the RC and RC-N1 controllers before making your final decision.

I am overwhelmed and thankful for the amount of comments and information you all have provided. I still have the RCN1 Mini, it hasn't even done its maiden flight yet. Shortly after Christmas I contracted COVID due to being a nurse and also having an increase in cases. I feel 95% better, it felt like a really bad flu but hey such is life right? As for now I think I changed my mind again and I'm just going to stick with this version, in the future if need be ill upgrade I guess. I think today is the day this bird will fly. Im thankful to this community and all your help... Happy New year!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent