DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji mini picture quality on sunny day

I have zero experience with cameras , with that said, when I fly during a sunny day two things happen, one I have difficulty seeing image on screen and and my image is too bright . What settings for camera do I use?

thanks butchc
Difficulty seeing image on screen -
yup that's an issue in the sun. You need a sun shade.
You can buy cheap ones on ebay or even make your own fairly simply from cardboard.

Image is too bright -
It shouldn't be since the camera should adjust exposure accordingly.
But you can easily adjust the exposure yourself by adding a -EV or going into manual mode.

It will be high contrast so it's difficult to expose for both bright areas and shadows. You'll find you either have to expose for the brightest areas (and the shadows will be very dark) or v.v.

You can take multiple exposures (using the bracket feature) and then combine them afterwards.

I have a Mini 2 but assume all the above applies to the Mini 1 as well.

Welcome to the forum! Others, much more experienced than I will be along shortly to advise you on different settings for different weather situations, different times of the day and night etc etc.
Until then, have a play around with all camera settings to see what suits your eye.
I have read many threads about camera settings until I'm totally lost about focal lengths, colour grading, layers etc etc.....
I fly my machine strictly for fun, any photos and vdeo clips are only for myself, friends and family to view so not really bothered about publishing them elsewhere. Stay safe!

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Please share your pictures, videos and knowledge about your drones.

when I fly during a sunny day two things happen, one I have difficulty seeing image on screen and and my image is too bright . What settings for camera do I use?
To properly answer you requires knowledge of what settings you are using.
Post an original full-sized image and it might give some clues.

Welcome to the forum. Our search feature will help you find
much of what you ask. As far as flying in sunny weather if not flying from inside my truck I stand in the shade of a tree if possible.
Also I use a 10.2” iPad for my screen as a phone is just to small for
me. All I use as far as settings is auto and adjust in post. Everyone
has thier way of what works for them. Good luck and enjoy ?

Welcome, Sir butchc!

You can experiment with your camera settings without taking off!
That way, you can scroll through the various standard photo and video options (eg, not the Quick Shots and Panoramas), record them, replay, download, etc.
There are so many options in the app, it takes some learning!
And the mini takes some great photos!
Enjoy the journey!

Often, your subject will be too dark because of a bright sky. A simple solution is to aim your gimbal down at takeoff and lock the exposure in the bottom right of your screen. You may have to do this multiple times during the flight as lighting conditions change or subject reflectivity changes. It probably won’t help you if things are too bright though. In this case, use the exposure compensation (located just to the left of the exposure lock) to adjust things manually. Best wishes.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61