DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI non-warranty service cost on batteries?

peterf

Reactions
I have a battery purchased directly from DJI quite a while ago and it should be outside of regular warranty. It has ~40 charge cycles and is swollen. I'm wondering if it's any cheaper to go through their service department for a paid replacement versus just buying a new one at retail.

I looked at their price inquiry page and it doesn't list an amount for batteries so I'm hoping someone has experience with this.

(I understand you're not supposed to actually ship swollen batteries to them but just submit a request)

First, ask them if they will replace it free because it is swollen. I have three M2P batteries that I bought in early 2019. All swollen. I thought I had heard that there was a defective batch of batteries, so I asked if they would replace them. They asked me to send serial numbers and a video showing the batteries wobbling when placed on a flat surface. Then they sent me three free new batteries even though the old ones were long out of warranty.

First, ask them if they will replace it free because it is swollen. I have three M2P batteries that I bought in early 2019. All swollen. I thought I had heard that there was a defective batch of batteries, so I asked if they would replace them. They asked me to send serial numbers and a video showing the batteries wobbling when placed on a flat surface. Then they sent me three free new batteries even though the old ones were long out of warranty.
Just curious how recently did they do this? Also, which access route did you use to make that request?

Thanks!

I'm on the road and don't have exact dates, but I contacted them, I think, in May, well over two years after purchase. After they got the info they wanted, they sent the new batteries within a week. I think I got them in early June.
I just contacted the support email on the dji website.

I'm on the road and don't have exact dates, but I contacted them, I think, in May, well over two years after purchase. After they got the info they wanted, they sent the new batteries within a week. I think I got them in early June.
I just contacted the support email on the dji website.
That's all great info Jim. One last question, how would you characterize your tone of inquiry? Clearly HOW you approached them was VERY successful.

Again, thanks!

Well, I really didn't expect them to agree, so I wasn't demanding. I may have said that I heard there may have been a bad batch of batteries, and that all three of mine were swollen. Would they replace them? That's about it. Good luck!

Well, I really didn't expect them to agree, so I wasn't demanding. I may have said that I heard there may have been a bad batch of batteries, and that all three of mine were swollen. Would they replace them? That's about it. Good luck!
Perfect Jim, as that is my preferred way of asking for great customer support! ;-)

Thanks!

Oh hi! I saw your post a little while ago and I think that was part of the motivation for my question. I want to try to ask for help with the swelling first, but one of the replies to your post said they were rejected, so it seems like something that isn't super predictable and it would be good to know how plan B plays out in case they offer that route instead.

That's all great info Jim. One last question, how would you characterize your tone of inquiry? Clearly HOW you approached them was VERY successful.

Again, thanks!
In my experience with online support, stating the problem very clearly but concisely (and respectfully) is a big deal, but beyond that, some of it also just depends on the representative who happens to look at your ticket.

Reactions: Drone Views Media
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett