DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Phantom fyling at Montreal airport today.

Norm

Reactions
An Air Canada pilot informed the control tower that a DJI Phantom was flying at 4K near the Montréal airport today and an other one yesterday in Ottawa. The plane had to land on a different strip.

This is not the first time it happened in MTL. The media are saying that Ottawa requested help and 2 x F-18 were sent from Bagotville Québec. Link: 'It just went past our left wing': Air Canada plane avoids drone near Ottawa airport

Some guys deserve jail time for puting people life at risk and making bad publicity like that !

Last edited:
Ok wait! That can't be true because Canada just made it completely illegal to do this sort of thing. In fact it is now hard to fly anywhere there now without breaking a law.

If anyone thinks that more laws are going to prevent this type of thing, they might want to reconsider.

What will prevent it is catching and making examples out of a few using existing laws.

People will demand a response, once a jet sucks a drone into its intake. Like it or not, that response may take the form of laws that restrict all of us from flying. Think ahead a little, people, before you do clever things and fly where you know you should not fly.

Is an f-18 an effective tool for a p3?

I would think that there is almost no possible scenario where an f18 can arrive in the area before the battery would force a phantom pilot to land.

Assuming an f-18 was in the air near the incident, short of making physical contact, do these planes have the proper tools to force a small drone out of the sky? Especially if the drone is under 400' and in a realatively populated area.

I don't know what the proper response should be, but it's likely not military jets.

Reactions: jackk
I don't even see how a F-18 pilot could even see a Phantom- much less target it.

I imagine an f18 could be part of a scenario if a large drone, such as a predator, were detected en-route to any sensitive area, including an airport. So someone over the phone heard "drone" and ordered up an F18 or three. This story was over a year ago - anyone know what happened to the drone owner? I hope they at least got a spanking from mommy for flying where they should not, haha.

Ok wait! That can't be true because Canada just made it completely illegal to do this sort of thing. In fact it is now hard to fly anywhere there now without breaking a law.

If anyone thinks that more laws are going to prevent this type of thing, they might want to reconsider.

What will prevent it is catching and making examples out of a few using existing laws.
Exactly. Good guys - 0, bad guys- don't give a rip.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
I was on a plane landing in Miami a few weeks ago and as we were coming in there was ABSOLUTELY a drone off the left side of the plane.. everyone looking out the window saw it and one lady yelled "did anyone else see that" I personally saw it with my own eyes and the people right around me saw it too.

It was at the same altitude of our plane! Freakin nuts!

OK, I too got sucked into the hysteria of this report. But in reading closer, it's not totally what it sounds like. In one article the pilots said it was nearly two kilometers away on their left side, and about 2000 feet below them. Not exactly the "near miss" that the press make this out to be. It also appears that the incident was almost five miles (reportedly 5.5 to 7.5 km) away from the airport, so not exactly "at the airport" as this implies. A stupid stunt, nonetheless, to be flying at that altitude, especially if in the vicinity airport approaches. Clear violations warranting arrest, in my mind, but as is often the case, the press will sensationalize the issue to sell news. To the detriment of all of us law-abiding drone pilots.

But how stupid is scrambling a pair of F-18s to intercept? What are they going to do, shoot it down with a sidewinder missile?!?

Reactions: Highangle3
And in a week, after all the bad press has moved on to the next sensational bit of fluff, we'll learn (on page 6 in microfische print) that the drone was actually a garbage bag.

Reactions: Maxheadspace
There are no confirmed reports of these or evidence....these are just fake news from transport Canada so that can stick with their f'ing non sense rules....as long as they can keep spreading these made up news they know people will worry and give drones a bad press. Period.

An Air Canada pilot informed the control tower that a DJI Phantom was flying at 4K near the Montréal airport today and an other one yesterday in Ottawa. The plane had to land on a different strip.

This is not the first time it happened in MTL. The media are saying that Ottawa requested help and 2 x F-18 were sent from Bagotville Québec. Link: 'It just went past our left wing': Air Canada plane avoids drone near Ottawa airport

Some guys deserve jail time for puting people life at risk and making bad publicity like that !

He reported it was a DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus, and it had scratches in the gimbal, also reported that he could spot a little ant walking on the top of the drone. His copilot told that it had one of the propelers with a little dent on it and although he saw a little decal he could not tell one of the numbers it showed.

Those pilots have bionic vision....

i hate to say it but.. if i fly from the moon or my terrace.. WHO IS EVER going to catch me? excuse me but fly with your head and above all just fly !hopefully less idiots will do that !

There are no confirmed reports of these or evidence....these are just fake news from transport Canada so that can stick with their f'ing non sense rules....as long as they can keep spreading these made up news they know people will worry and give drones a bad press. Period.
It's working. I know many people in the non-drone world who are abjectly terrified of drones. They fear for their safety (must be an ingrained fear of being attacked by bats or other flying critters) and the loss of their privacy. Combine that with tons of people's fear of flying and you get minor hysteria. If there is ever a "real event" - I'm afraid we will all lose our freedom to fly. Better start a lobby sooner than later. Maybe join with the NRA? HAHA.

Reactions: Norm
"The Air Canada flight was flying at 8,000 feet when its pilots spotted the drone about 1.8 kilometres to its left, flying about 2,000 feet below the plane's altitude" - quote from 2nd article
I cannot see my mavic at 400m, might be able to see a phantom to 600m...
Seeing something 1.8km away and flying at 6000ft/2000m altitude it wont be any consumer drone. Someone flying their microlight without informing air traffic control?
Sad drones get blamed for everything!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929