DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI PILOT TEST ON DJI GO 4 APP

fly4fun

Reactions
On 11-23-17 I updated the DJI GO APP to the newest version. I flew my Mavic a couple of times to check out the new PANORAMIC camera features. I went out 11/24/17 to fly and the DJI GO 4 APP made me take a 10 question test (or so) on FFA regs before I could use the app. I tried to restart the Mavic and the controller but the TEST keep popping on the screen. So I finally took the test and drained most of a battery. Needless to say I was pissed and I am still pissed that DGI would pull this B.S. I hope other people will contact DJI and complain if they experience the same problem. DJI should concentrate on making great drones and not locking up the R.C. to test their customers knowledge of FFA regs. I mean really, what if I flunked the test? Would DJI not allow me to fly the drone I bought from them. Is it really DJI place to police their customers knowledge on flight regs? I feel they really overstepped their role as a drone company. What next? A test before you purchase a drone from DJI. Maybe a DJI database on which customer in doing commercial work with a drone without a FFA pilot license and forcing them to get a pilot license before they fly a drone again. This I feel this should bring up many discussions about the role DJI plays in interfering with their customers use of the drones that they bought from the company.

Last edited:
DJI is being forced to do this. They'd rather do nothing at all -- policing use is quite expensive. But you are right -- even though it's not your implication -- a test prior to purchase would be a better idea.

Reactions: Johnnyaibo
I mean really, what if I flunked the test? Would DJI not allow me to fly the drone I bought from them. Is it really DJI place to police their customers knowledge on flight regs? I feel they really overstepped their role as a drone company. What next?
Wait until you can't take off because you're "inside an NFZ" for an airport that closed 5 years ago, due to their faulty databases.

If only some good guys were out there working the problem in the interest of users, instead of whatever the chicoms feel like cooking up to mess with their customers..................

Reactions: TechD77
Went to fly this afternoon and used the tablet rather than the phone. My wife uses the tablet too and unfortunately it automatically upgraded the GO4 app. When I tried to use it to fly it gave me a message that it had locked my bird and the only way to unlock it was upgrade the firmware. SOOO very reluctantly I did. Went from .0 700 to the latest version. Updated the controler as well. NOW the video is horrible. It lags so bad I cant fly. Tried it with my phone and it has the same problem. Not sure what the fix is. I can go back to .0700 but does anyone know a way for me to go back to an older version of GO4? I am on android devices.

I can go back to .0700 but does anyone know a way for me to go back to an older version of GO4? I am on android devices.
If you installed the latest firmware with no tweaks, are you SURE you can go back to .700? Reports are that you cannot, if doing a standard upgrade without pre-install precautions.

As for reverting Go4, if you don't find the version you're looking for available on the list that appears, you can sideload the .SDK file for the version you want if your device is set up to permit sideloading.

I am afraid you are correct. I downgraded to an older stable version of GO4 but then I went to revert back to .700 and no joy. Tried twice and nothing. It sends to the bird from Dumldore but then after it finishes upgrading it is back to the most up to date version. Which sucks becasue the video lags horribly.

I am afraid you are correct. I downgraded to an older stable version of GO4 but then I went to revert back to .700 and no joy. Tried twice and nothing. It sends to the bird from Dumldore but then after it finishes upgrading it is back to the most up to date version. Which sucks becasue the video lags horribly.
As I thought. Efforts are underway to overcome this major difficulty, but if/when solutions are found they'll be censored here. I presume you can do Internet searches for alternate information forums?

As I thought. Efforts are underway to overcome this major difficulty, but if/when solutions are found they'll be censored here. I presume you can do Internet searches for alternate information forums?
Can do and have already been doing that but have not found anything yet.

Is anyone else getting tired of DJI's shenanigans? Tried to fly my Mavic this morning and I got the notification to take their test. (I've passed the FAA's test and have my 107, so I don't understand why I need another test) So I thought I would get it out of the way. pressed the start button and all I got was a blank page - no test. Rebooted everything with the same result, except I only have one more attempt according to the app. Are we supposed to ground everything until they get their crap together?

Reactions: braddy2020
Is anyone else getting tired of DJI's shenanigans? Tried to fly my Mavic this morning and I got the notification to take their test. (I've passed the FAA's test and have my 107, so I don't understand why I need another test) So I thought I would get it out of the way. pressed the start button and all I got was a blank page - no test. Rebooted everything with the same result, except I only have one more attempt according to the app. Are we supposed to ground everything until they get their crap together?
Do a little research and rip all that junk out of your Mavic and your device. DJI has larded up their software with so much useless and broken junk that it's no wonder smart people have been ripping it out and showing how it's done.

My Mavic hangs up on DJI when the chicoms try to get it to phone home. Nobody appointed them the United States Drone Police.

@PT_Mavic We won't be censoring here due to recent policy changes.

Well......... YAY! And thanks. Thumbswayup

For those of you wondering what all this shrouded language is about, just know that over the last few months methods have been found to (legally) circumvent many of the restrictions imposed by DJI in their firmware and software and modify the performance of your aircraft, sometimes considerably.

If you don't understand what you're messing with and your own piloting-skill limitations, you might fly your precious birdie straight into the ground, or something useful, or something that goes "Owwww!" and has a lawyer on speed-dial. Done right, with understanding, it's pretty cool. I'm not going to go into details here; those who maintain the information repositories will no doubt be sharing. A new introductory thread from people smarter than me might be in order.

There are three important things to remember here:

1) YOU must be a responsible adult; some of the mods will allow you not to be - that's like giving a drunk car keys after dropping in a racing engine. BE RESPONSIBLE, BE AWARE, don't hurt the hobby and fly SAFE, you knuckleheads. And don't get arrested; that never looks good to your Mom.

2) Do NOT upgrade your Mavic's firmware to version 1.04.0100 or higher - until a fix is published (and it's possible one won't be), you CANNOT downgrade. Not at all. Not even a little bit. Downgrading to earlier versions may be necessary to achieve the mods you want to implement.

and 3) Do NOT upgrade your Mavic's firmware to version 1.04.0100 or higher. Bears repeating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Qoncussion
Well......... YAY! And thanks. Thumbswayup
2XHlwd7.gif

Reactions: PT_Mavic

Thank you. I am relatively new to the drone forums but have many years experience with Jeep forums, and know firsthand how censorship damages the value and reputation of a forum. Knowledge and frank discussion are always better than “security by obscurity.” I had started to move away from MP (even though I only registered a few days ago) until reading this (ironically, a link on anoth site) restored my faith.

Perhaps you might reach out to those banned under the old policy and invite them to return. IMHO, a lot of enthusiasm and leading-edge knowledge was lost when they were expelled.

Perhaps you might reach out to those banned under the old policy and invite them to return. IMHO, a lot of enthusiasm and leading-edge knowledge was lost when they were expelled.
No . Being banned doesn't banish you and most are back, some decided to leave and can rejoin I'm sure .
I am pretty sure there will be some changes to the guidelines but they will still be enforced as always .
Now , this has done and went off topic and shall go back to the topic of
DJI PILOT TEST ON DJI GO 4 APP

Thank you. I am relatively new to the drone forums but have many years experience with Jeep forums, and know firsthand how censorship damages the value and reputation of a forum. Knowledge and frank discussion are always better than “security by obscurity.” I had started to move away from MP (even though I only registered a few days ago) until reading this (ironically, a link on anoth site) restored my faith.

Some of us continue to be harassed and held to different standards on the site than the rest of the membership, for fighting this fight early on.

I'm the person who did the research and solution regarding the internal SD card issue that prevents downgrading newer MPs below 3.1000. I would happily have posted and shared about that here if the staff didn't treat me like a criminal.

Instead, there are other forums where these things are actively discussed. Forums where people are treated with respect.

Reactions: Pathogen
Some of us continue to be harassed and held to different standards on the site than the rest of the membership, for fighting this fight early on.

I'm the person who did the research and solution regarding the internal SD card issue that prevents downgrading newer MPs below 3.1000. I would happily have posted and shared about that here if the staff didn't treat me like a criminal.

Instead, there are other forums where these things are actively discussed. Forums where people are treated with respect.
Hello dwallersv. All members here are held to the same standards and rules. If you know otherwise please PM me about it so we can discuss it.

We are a privately owned forum with no connection whatsoever to DJI or any other drone manufacturer. The policy change was made after a period of discussion and was not based on any members particular point of view. Pandoras box has been opened and there is no going back. Our concern first & foremost is for peoples safety. This topic is for advanced operators so we would like to contain this type of talk to the firmware area.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut