DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RC PRO - "Locating" loading issue.

Roberto Smera

Reactions
Since when I acquired my RC PRO, I noticed that when I turn on the RC Pro indoors and the DJI Fly loads on home screen, the upper left corner shows the “Locating” message and it nevers go away. If I touch Fly Spots it would come up with a location somewhere off the west coast of Africa. The error also occurs even if I go outdoors. Since the RC Pro has a GPS receiver I would expect it to be able to locate my area even when my drone is turned off. Any help with this annoying issue will be greatly appreciated.

I just tried mine. After it got a GPS fix, the "locating" changed to "Recommended zone" Just make sure your Home Point is set before flying.

Reactions: Roberto Smera
I just tried mine. After it got a GPS fix, the "locating" changed to "Recommended zone" Just make sure your Home Point is set before flying.
Thank you for the tip, mobilehomer. What I can't understand is why both my iPad Mini 6 and Galaxy Tab S7 always show my location immediately after a load up DJI Fly even inside my apartment and with my drone turned off.

Just FYI, I had access to a DJI RC that came with a Mini 3 and it shows the same issue. The loading message on the top left corner shows "locating" and never shows my actual position.

Thank you for the tip, mobilehomer. What I can't understand is why both my iPad Mini 6 and Galaxy Tab S7 always show my location immediately after a load up DJI Fly even inside my apartment and with my drone turned off.
Because your tablets are on enough to keep a fix. The "location" uses the controller/device GPS, not the drone.

Because your tablets are on enough to keep a fix. The "location" uses the controller/device GPS, not the drone.

So basically what you are saying is that if I leave my RC Pro turned on enough time to get a GPS fix inside my apartment, the "locating" will eventually turn to "Recommended zones". Is that correct? Thanks.

So basically what you are saying is that if I leave my RC Pro turned on enough time to get a GPS fix inside my apartment, the "locating" will eventually turn to "Recommended zones". Is that correct? Thanks.
Yes. When I turned mine on today, inside the house, "locating" came up. After a few minuites it changed to "recommended"

It's never worked on my RC Pro. Never.

It's never worked on my RC Pro. Never.
Neither with my RC Pro, nor with the Mini 3 DJI RC. Both were turned on and left for hours inside my living room. Nothing happened and "locating" message persisted. Just for the sake of curiosity, I then turned the Mini 3 and RC on, put the drone outside, wait for satellite and home-point acquisition and voilá: the status on the controller changed immediately from "loading" to "Recommended Zones".

Neither with my RC Pro, nor with the Mini 3 DJI RC. Both were turned on and left for hours inside my living room. Nothing happened and "locating" message persisted. Just for the sake of curiosity, I then turned the Mini 3 and RC on, put the drone outside, wait for satellite and home-point acquisition and voilá: the status on the controller changed immediately from "loading" to "Recommended Zones".
Ok cool cool. Maybe the controller alone is not activating its internal GPS unless a drone is connected. I’ll try what you did tonight and confirm it updates after the drone connects. Btw, I did do what you did also and turned the RC Pro on and let it sit for like 30mins and it did not update.

It has zero to do with the drone being connected. Earlier, I turned mine on while sitting my living room, two feet from a window. After twenty minutes - still "locating". Took it outside and restarted the app. It acquired GPS lock almost immediately. Turned the RC Pro off. A couple hours later, I took the RC Pro outside and turned it on. In less than a minute it had acquired GPS lock. There is zero wrong, you just need to take it outside. Pretty much zero GPS signal inside.

It has zero to do with the drone being connected. Earlier, I turned mine on while sitting my living room, two feet from a window. After twenty minutes - still "locating". Took it outside and restarted the app. It acquired GPS lock almost immediately. Turned the RC Pro off. A couple hours later, I took the RC Pro outside and turned it on. In less than a minute it had acquired GPS lock. There is zero wrong, you just need to take it outside. Pretty much zero GPS signal inside.
Maybe my RC Pro is poor example. I've been sitting outside with it next to me as I do my daily Duolingo and here it sits just saying it's updating (photo attached). Earlier though while inside I connected my drone to it (as suggested by @Roberto Smera) and it immediately changed from locating to enhanced warning zone (which is correct for my area). The gps located me instead of showing I was in the middle of some ocean. Again, maybe my RC Pro is a poor example and something is up with its gps location services. I did send it in to DJI though for eval when my second Mavic 3 was acting up and they stated the controller was functioning as designed.

Attachments

• 20220721_195322.JPG
    20220721_195322.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
If we are going to quote William Shakespeare, let's at least spell his last name correctly. 🤣
Hey, All's Well That Ends Well with this Comedy of Errors. After the Twelfth Night, no one will remember this Midsummer Night's Dream, 'cept maybe that dude Henry VIII.

• Haha
Reactions: GadgetGuy
June 29th, 2023 and this issue still exists. I've had my RCP for 3 months and it has never acquired a GPS signal indoors. I even left it running overnight on a charger for poops and giggles and found it still saying locating after 10 hours. Turned on my M3C and it changed to my location almost instantly.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird