DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RC Pro

Rajbhag

Reactions
hello guys I have the RC Pro Controller, how to get the map location on the screen. I recently bought the DJI Dongle which I have installed but still can't see the live map and using with the Mini 3 Pro

The mini three has no GPS of its own so you have to connect to something to give a GPS. I don’t know about the dongle what most people do is connect to a shared Wi-Fi from their phone or get on the Wi-Fi net work. If you swipe down from the screen, and I think it takes two swipes, you will find an option to connect to the Wi-Fi net work, once you are on the Wi-Fi net work, it will be able to get GPS. When you takeoff it will automatically disconnect from GPS because it knows where you are and apparently Bluetooth or Wi-Fi causes problems while trying to fly. I hope I have this, right.

@akdrone I presume you mean Internet connection rather than gps? The mini3 (pro and standard), DJI RC, and RC pro controller definitely all have GPS. What they can lack out in the field is a data connection for downloading maps. As you've indicated, the solution is to use your cellular device as a wifi hotspot to provide that data connection, and yes, the DJI RC does automatically switch off WiFi and Bluetooth when you take off.

@akdrone I presume you mean Internet connection rather than gps? The mini3 (pro and standard), DJI RC, and RC pro controller definitely all have GPS. What they can lack out in the field is a data connection for downloading maps. As you've indicated, the solution is to use your cellular device as a wifi hotspot to provide that data connection, and yes, the DJI RC does automatically switch off WiFi and Bluetooth when you take off.
This is endlessly confusing. I think I have flown my Mini 3 in areas with no cellular connection for my phone which would allow the phone to provide a map to the Mini 3. I thought it was just needing a GPS lock from the phone which it got from a hot spot regardless of any cellular connection but maybe I'm mistaken.

The DJI RC (RM 330) definitely has a GPS receiver built into it, so should get a position fix on its own when switched on outdoors. It doesn't display number of satellites the controller GPS has locked onto nor does it give you an option to switch the GPS off, but it's happening there in the background.

If you've cached some map data for your current location it should show the controller position on the map. It's also got a compass sensor so should show the controller heading too. If you've not got any cached map data, and no data connection then it will show your position on a blank map. Provide it with a data connection ( eg wifi hot-spot via cell phone) then it should download the local map data and display this. The controller doesn't need a GPS fix to allow you to fly, but you get plenty of warnings if the drone itself doesn't have a GPS fix.

Hope this helps explain it a bit! I've got the mini3 pro with the dji rc and that's how my setup behaves.

so what would you expect to happen if you were outside of any cell coverage? It would fly but have no map available? It would still be able to fly home regardless? It may be that has been the case in the past and I have just not noticed a lack of a map.

so what would you expect to happen if you were outside of any cell coverage? It would fly but have no map available? It would still be able to fly home regardless? It may be that has been the case in the past and I have just not noticed a lack of a map.
Yeah, exactly that. Although the flying, position holding and returning to home would all be using only the drone's onboard GPS.

The controller's GPS only really is used to show your current position on the map (this is separate from the home point, as that's set on takeoff via the drone's GPS). That's why you can fly a mini3pro with the RC N1 paired with a device that doesn't have GPS - it's not vital for flying, and neither is it vital to have map data - both can be handy though. The controller GPS is also used for showing the pilot's current location for remote ID purposes.

You have got to log on the remote to your wifi or hotspot after you swipe down on the remote twice and then the remote will be able to show maps.I am not sure but I think you need maps if you loose your drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143