DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Recommends Flying With The Bubble

J-Dub

Reactions
Gimbal Cover/Bubble confirmation from DJI Support.
I sent an email into support at DJI asking about the "bubble" and whether or not we can/should fly with it attached:

"Dear John,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

With your concern, when you are preparing for flying, the gimbal clamp should be removed, but if you are referring for the Camera bubble cover, we best recommend not to remove it since that will serve as a protection for the camera from water sprinkle, dust, and other objects that may hit the camera in any case during flying.

Hope this will help and thank you for your time.

If you have any other inquiry in the future please feel free to contact us back anytime and we will be more than happy to assist you with your concern.

Have a wonderful day ahead.

Best Regards,

Myra

DJI NA TECHNICAL SUPPORT"

Reactions: George2
Interesting ....

This doesn't make sense considering that the unit requires airflow through the vent underneath the bubble. At least that's how I understand it.

Reactions: Mr Spock
not airtight but why restrict the airflow through those vents. We have never put the other gimbal camera in a bubble to protect it( I get that this one is smaller) but I agree with the others about possible damage over time to the main board due to poor air flow. I would still get another opinion from DJI
"Myra" may be a "temp"

It is in every DJI video so not a huge surprise, personally to avoid the lens flare and optical issues I won't be flying with it on though.

My P3P never had any issues with dirt/dust so figure it will be fine.

It is in every DJI video so not a huge surprise, personally to avoid the lens flare and optical issues I won't be flying with it on though.

My P3P never had any issues with dirt/dust so figure it will be fine.
But if you remember the Phantom's had a removable (screw off) UV filter over the lens to provide some protection, the Mavic doesn't. That being said I also take it off, in fact I haven't flown once with it on.

I sent an email into support at DJI asking about the "bubble" and whether or not we can/should fly with it attached:

"Dear John,

With your concern, when you are preparing for flying, the gimbal clamp should be removed, but if you are referring for the Camera bubble cover, we best recommend not to remove it since that will serve as a protection for the camera from water sprinkle, dust, and other objects that may hit the camera in any case during flying.

If you have any other inquiry in the future please feel free to contact us back anytime and we will be more than happy to assist you with your concern.

Best Regards,

Myra

I believe this is more for the noob pilot or those who lack common sense in life.

Reactions: willhay555
I think this clarifies that it is a reasonable option and I can see its benefits in certain cases. Certainly added protection if you will be flying aggressively or with increased potential for impact (branches mostly I'd imagine.) They may also be saying that the gimbal is susceptible to even moderate water damage (eg fog.)

You realize you are taking a semi high quality camera lens and covering it with cheap non optical grade plastic right?

In other words this will absolutely make your pictures and video worse. But if that doesn't matter to you then leave it on.

You realize you are taking a semi high quality camera lens and covering it with cheap non optical grade plastic right?

In other words this will absolutely make your pictures and video worse. But if that doesn't matter to you then leave it on.
Haha. Yes. Obviously. But the point is the company that makes the device and has access to ALL data, not just anecdotal, recommends it. I think it makes sense to consider the potential benefits.

The majority of the time I'm flying, I'm not taking photos or video that I would care if they were flawed. Actually, I'm often not taking any photos or video at all. Obviously if I'm recording something I want to keep or share, I would not have the bubble on.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Hmmm, I would take that advice with a pinch of salt. DJI Support (unfortunately) is not renowned for giving out the the best information, there are numerous examples in this forum alone. For example, any issue they tell you to calibrate the IMU or send it in for repair. Whilst it is probably good practice to keep it on if you are new to drones, if you want any decent footage out of it, take it off. With the time of year (Northern Hemisphere) and the weather being cold there is no issue with keeping it on with regards to heat however I feel it may be a different story when it is 30+ Centigrade out there with little to no wind. I only flew with mine on for 2 minutes the first time I launched it, not been on for flight since.

Here's a very informative video about this topic:

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

That shouldn't be an issue in most of the northern hemisphere, where it is winter. Also, there is a fan that provides air flow. If there was no gimbal cover, there would be no need for a fan....

"Dear John,

Best Regards,

Myra

This is very interesting response from DJI since I participated on the Micro center Demo DJI was doing last month and I personally ask them the same thing. They said "not to fly with the protection bubble", removing it will help the air flow and cooling of the unit. On the other hand, if you are new, I would highly recommend to leave the bubble on until you feel comfortable flying the drone. I took it off on my third flight, of course I crashed the drone, and the first thing that got damaged was the gimbal arm.

Reactions: alexcannas
This is very interesting response from DJI since I participated on the Micro center Demo DJI was doing last month and I personally ask them the same thing. They said "not to fly with the protection bubble", removing it will help the air flow and cooling of the unit. On the other hand, if you are new, I would highly recommend to leave the bubble on until you feel comfortable flying the drone. I took it off on my third flight, of course I crashed the drone, and the first thing that got damaged was the gimbal arm.

Whether you are new to flying or not, there are certainly many times that flying with the bubble would be a good idea. Potential rain, mist, dusty conditions, when swarms of flying bugs are present, flying close to tree limbs... I actually put my drone in more threatening positions now than when I did when I was new to flying. DJI designed and made the bubble to be used in flight, so that's a good enough reason to use it when I know it's providing extra protection. All that said, I'll probably rarely fly with it on, but there's a good chance that I will regret not having it on one day.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Whether you are new to flying or not, there are certainly many times that flying with the bubble would be a good idea. Potential rain, mist, dusty conditions, when swarms of flying bugs are present, flying close to tree limbs... I actually put my drone in more threatening positions now than when I did when I was new to flying. DJI designed and made the bubble to be used in flight, so that's a good enough reason to use it when I know it's providing extra protection. All that said, I'll probably rarely fly with it on, but there's a good chance that I will regret not having it on one day.

Agree, The Gimbal Cover is removable, so If I think I need it, I will use it... And I wouldn't want that possibly awesome shot ruined by the cover, so pre-planning video ops is essential.

Just another thought... Besides protecting from rain, debris, etc. wouldn't the bubble also shield the camera from shifts in wind and help create a more stable camera?

Would it not also protect the gimbal/camera when taking off/landing in grass or unlovely surfaces?

Does anyone have comparative pictures with and without the bubble?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143