DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Refurb vs Amazon "renewal"? M3 refurb vs new M3C?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I'm contemplating different versions of the Mavic 3. Mavic 3 refurb vs M3Classic w/o controller. There are a few different positions stated on another thread. Some say, buy a refub M3 over a new M3C. So far the only difference I've become aware of between these two models is the absence of the 7x lens on the M3C.

One member suggested buying an AMAZON refurbished M3 that came with a controller for $1700. I have both RCN1 and DJI RC controllers already. I suppose I could sell my Mini 2 with the RCN1 controller. I know that a DJI M3 refurb will come like new with warranty and ability to buy the Care/Refresh thing. The advantage of the Amazon deal is that my Amazon credit card pays 5% back, which is half the tax of buying a new M3C from B&H.

Price spreads:
New M3c via B&H w/o controller, $1469 shipped.
Amazon "renewed" w/controller $1699 + $170 tax -$83 cash reward= $1687
DJI refurb M3 from DJI w/controller (?) $1803

What do you suppose a used Mini 2 with RCN1, 3 batteries/FMC plus accessories would get me if I sold it? FWIW at this moment the Mini 2 has a small crack in the hull and would go into DJI's care/refresh which could cost me $50, but the drone would be like new.

If you are going for a refurbished drone then I would suggest getting one from DJI AND ONLY DJI. But read on
Quite a few people, INCLUDING the sellers, have been caught out by returned and resold drones being bound under Care Refresh/flyaway. I would guess DJI themselves have the means to remove such bindings once they ( DJI ) have their hands on a drone but I DO NOT think anyone else can.......unless DJI have released some software to the larger retailers.
Failing that, Amazon do have a good returns policy and reputation concerning returns, ditto ebay IF they have a "Not as described" policy where you live. I can't comment about other sellers.
Check ebay's completed sales ( using the advanced search ) for Mini 2 prices. A photo of the crack would be a good idea.

You might want to verify that you can get DJI care on the Amazon refurbished drone. I know they will allow you to get DJI care in their refurbished but now sure if they would on Amazon since they don’t know the quality. Also I have seen reviews where Amazon customers said the drone was still bound to the previous owners account and they couldn’t bind to theirs.

@Yorkshire_Pud @C.W.
The care/refresh thing is important, I think. A damaged gimbal is a lot of money if the drone has to be repaired privately.
I think if I had to make a choice today I would probably go with the Classic. Would I miss the 7x lens? Given its limitations I really don't think so. Are there any other missing features on the M3c?

What intrigues me about the M3 in general is the recently added cruise control and how that would make complex moves easier and smoother. The improved obstacle avoidance is also a draw for me. Is the image quality from a viewer's standpoint that much better than the Mavic 2 Pro? I have no way of knowing until I get my hands on one of the M3's.

But it occurred to me that the extra FMC for the M2 with 2 new batteries costing $300 wasn't money well spent now that Classics and refurbs are available. The new FMC from B&H is packed up and ready to ship back to B&H for credit. and I'll apply the $300 to a Classic or perhaps an extra M3 battery. And I can always sell my M2P or Mini 2, which I hadn't considered before as the M3's differences weren't enough considering the original M3 price bump over everything else.

I don't know but there is no hurry other than to get the FMC returned. I may end up waiting until spring where I can squirrel away some money for a few months so I won't even feel the M3 purchase. I'm not sure where inflation and living expenses are going to take me, but on a practical level inflation is MUCH higher than the US gov's stated rate of 8.6%. A lot of things are up 25% to 30% this year alone, particuarly food, so it might be best if I just keep my powder dry for a bit to see where things go.

I'm contemplating different versions of the Mavic 3. Mavic 3 refurb vs M3Classic w/o controller. There are a few different positions stated on another thread. Some say, buy a refub M3 over a new M3C. So far the only difference I've become aware of between these two models is the absence of the 7x lens on the M3C.

One member suggested buying an AMAZON refurbished M3 that came with a controller for $1700. I have both RCN1 and DJI RC controllers already. I suppose I could sell my Mini 2 with the RCN1 controller. I know that a DJI M3 refurb will come like new with warranty and ability to buy the Care/Refresh thing. The advantage of the Amazon deal is that my Amazon credit card pays 5% back, which is half the tax of buying a new M3C from B&H.

Price spreads:
New M3c via B&H w/o controller, $1469 shipped.
Amazon "renewed" w/controller $1699 + $170 tax -$83 cash reward= $1687
DJI refurb M3 from DJI w/controller (?) $1803

What do you suppose a used Mini 2 with RCN1, 3 batteries/FMC plus accessories would get me if I sold it? FWIW at this moment the Mini 2 has a small crack in the hull and would go into DJI's care/refresh which could cost me $50, but the drone would be like new.
SK:

Too bad your Mini 2 has a crack. I was about to offer to buy it since I am looking for a sort of "disposable Mini 2." As you might know, I am traveling to two places next year which are nearly impossible to get permits for drones. (UAE-Dubai/Abu Dhabi), Canadian Rockies), and I am figuring that if it is confiscated at customs, or heaven-forbid, while I am actually flying, it would not be such a great loss if I purchased a used one.

These birds are nearly impossible to find refurbished by DJI and I do not trust e-bay.

As for your dilemma, I'd go with the DJI refurbished including Care Refresh and you will get a new bird with a warranty. That would outweigh the cash reward for me.

Dale

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka