DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI released the official DLog-M to Rec709 LUT!

Just saw this, excellent news. They never bothered with the Mavic 1 !

Now if they'll just release an effect for distortion correction on full and HQ4 modes that'd be great!

Now if they'll just release an effect for distortion correction on full and HQ4 modes that'd be great!
Here's one way to fix it:

Reactions: Nigpd and KiterTodd
Yep im using that fix (its perfect, they took the DJI profile from the normal mode) so not a big issue.
Theres no "HQ" one though as there is no existing profile to adapt.

Mainly im saying it'd be nice if DJI provide official corrections rather than relying on third parties to reverse engineer.

Happy with the LUT though - i doubted they'd do it!

I just applied the DJI LUT to some M2 video. Looks great! -RJ

Okay, I'll bite... what is the DJI provided LUT correcting?

Thanks.

Mainly, the color. It’s used as part of the color grading process. But I’m new to this area of post production and a LUT may impact other aspects of the video, as well, such as contrast, saturation, etc.

All I know is, when applied to one of my dlog videos, it greatly improved the overall look.

Ray Jay

Last edited:
Reactions: KiterTodd
I also played around with it. It definitely is not a 100% solution...(apply and done). In my opinion it still is a little "flat", but on other hand the Normal profile is a little to oversaturated. I did a comparison, what do you think?

Last edited:
If a person is simply applying a Rec709 LUT to D-log, you may as well just record in Rec709 to start with. The entire purpose of D-log, S-log, N-log, etc, is the creative freedom that the low contrast, low saturation, no knee, gives you to push and pull the color and luminosity curves (and create your own 3D LUT). But just straight up applying a DJI Rec709 LUT to their D-log seems to be a completely unneeded step in the post production workflow.

That LUT is just the baseline rec709 to start your color grading....sure you can apply and done but that is not the point....if that was the case they could have that as the normal color profile.

Reactions: miemo and Mattanous
I disagree. That's DJI's interpretation of a starting point. In creative production, we want all the freedom we can get. This completely takes away the point of LOG footage - the headroom and forgiveness to create our vision, not what DJI (or Sony, etc) think are the best or most generic.

Good information men! (above two posts). For folks like me who are just getting into post grading process, the LUT is a good starting point, I think. And to be honest, it looks pretty good with the DJI LUT.

But I don’t do this for profit - solely for fun (and boring my friends and family) - so I’m not as critical as those turning video into money.

Question: How do you record in Rec709 from the start or is that what “normal” does?

Ray Jay

Reactions: KiterTodd
Question: How do you record in Rec709 from the start or is that what “normal” does?

Ray Jay
Exactly. Normal is recording in the Rec709 Color space. But it is ready developed by the internal settings and for my taste a litte "poppy" for the "wowh" effect.

Exactly. Normal is recording in the Rec709 Color space. But it is ready developed by the internal settings and for my taste a litte "poppy" for the "wowh" effect.

Thanks! I agree, it does have the WOW factor. It sured wowed me when I say my first video with the M2P. But it is, as you say, a bit “poppy.”

I guess it’s time to step up my game and start developing color grading skills. Especially now that Pinnacle Studio 22 Ultimate has color grading tools! Nice!

Ray Jay

Right you are! I did a side by side test with the DLOG-M with the DJI LUT and “none” setting. They are almost the same, but as you say, the “none” video was more punchy (saturated?) than the DLOG-M with LUT applied. I’m assuming, however, that you can do a lot more with the DLOG-M in post to enhance the video, correct?

Ray Jay

Good information men! (above two posts). For folks like me who are just getting into post grading process, the LUT is a good starting point, I think. And to be honest, it looks pretty good with the DJI LUT.

But I don’t do this for profit - solely for fun (and boring my friends and family) - so I’m not as critical as those turning video into money.
Agreed. I do some post grading if needed, but usually don't apply a complete LUT. I'll have to look into it.

I had gotten to the point with the Mavic Pro that I'd had a color setting right out of the drone that looked very natural too me. Not too sharp, not too saturated.
I haven't found the same with the Mavic2 yet. There seem to be less auto color profiles to choose from, but I still have to poke around a bit.

This LUT thread is educational, though. Thanks.

Agreed. I do some post grading if needed, but usually don't apply a complete LUT. I'll have to look into it.

I had gotten to the point with the Mavic Pro that I'd had a color setting right out of the drone that looked very natural too me. Not too sharp, not too saturated.
I haven't found the same with the Mavic2 yet. There seem to be less auto color profiles to choose from, but I still have to poke around a bit.

This LUT thread is educational, though. Thanks.

I agree. Very helpful thread for folks like us. None of that goofy comedic crap like they post over at RCG. :(

BTW, I believe DJI is coming out with more color profiles for the M2 soon. So good on ‘em, I say.

Ray Jay

can I use this lut with the mavic pro ?

If a person is simply applying a Rec709 LUT to D-log, you may as well just record in Rec709 to start with. The entire purpose of D-log, S-log, N-log, etc, is the creative freedom that the low contrast, low saturation, no knee, gives you to push and pull the color and luminosity curves (and create your own 3D LUT). But just straight up applying a DJI Rec709 LUT to their D-log seems to be a completely unneeded step in the post production workflow.
That would be true if that's all you ever do is apply that lut. For me, it would be but one tool in my postprocessing toolbag. So I would shoot flat for the creative flexibility as you point out. But then, depending on the footage, I can grade by hand or try this LUT (or others that are out there). If you record in rec709 in camera, you lose those other options.

Reactions: miemo
can I use this lut with the mavic pro ?

You can apply a LUT to any video you like, irrespective of where, when and how you obtained the video.

It’s something done in post production. It simply tells your editing software how you want it to tweak the colours in the video.

Reactions: Andrija 87
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada