DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI repair sent me a refurb

FLDronePilot

Reactions
Crashed my MA2, sent it in to DJI for repair. They sent back a new/refurb drone with a different serial number. Caught me by surprise to see a new drone in the box. Assuming it's a refurb.

Being a complete newb, I guess I should go on FAADroneZone and un-register my other S/N and then register the new one?

@FLDronePilot no need if you are only flying for hobby purposes ,the registration number you have is for you, and can be used on any drones you own
unless i have got it wrong then i apologise in advance

I'll be flying under part 107. The original drone was registered under part 107.
ok then you will need to change it as each drone has to have a separate number thanks for replying

Do not be concerned with a DJI refurbished unit. They are 100% as good as new. I purchased my Mavic 2 Pro as a retail refurbished unit, though through an authorized vendor and was surprised that I couldn't tell that it was a refurb down to the packaging. I couldn't believe the deal I got and I have to remind myself that my M2P is in fact a refurb. Not a single thing to indicate it. I'm sure that DJI did not send you new packaging, but I'm quite sure you can fly it with confidence. At some point I will want an M3 but will wait for refurbs to be available as I am not in a hurry and the savings on my M2 was substantial.

Reactions: JTZ
  • How can I identify a refurbished product?
    Check the serial number. For all refurbished products, the fifth from last character will be "S"or "R".
The new S/N doesn't have a S or R in that place. It has an R in the second to the last character.

When I got it, it came in a new box with the plastic wrapping in place. Also, the drone had all the usual stickers that need to be removed, just like a new drone. Plus, my FAA registration number I taped to one of the arms was gone. A set of new props was included, outside the box.

Having said all that... I completely trust the integrity of the DJI refurbs. I'm actually pleased that they gave me a refurb instead of returning my drone repaired. It'll cost me another $5 to register it, but that's the cost of doing business.

I get that you are happy but you received new NOT a refurb. I purchased a refurb MP and MPP and sent in just the aircraft and was sent back NEW not refurb. For it to be a refurb the (S)or (R) must be the 5th to the last character only, any another place and it is not refurb.

Reactions: BurntFloridian
I get that you are happy but you received new NOT a refurb. I purchased a refurb MP and MPP and sent in just the aircraft and was sent back NEW not refurb. For it to be a refurb the (S)or (R) must be the 5th to the last character only, any another place and it is not refurb.
You're correct. This is what I found: DJI Refurbished Products - Up to 20% Savings, Certified Quality and Full Warranty | DJI.com Way down the page, the #6 FAQ confirms it.

Not complaining, and I'm even happier that it's a new drone - but I wonder why they would do that.

Thanks!

Crashed my MA2, sent it in to DJI for repair. They sent back a new/refurb drone with a different serial number. Caught me by surprise to see a new drone in the box. Assuming it's a refurb.

Being a complete newb, I guess I should go on FAADroneZone and un-register my other S/N and then register the new one?
Not sure if you are familiar with DJI policy, but if the unit is refurbished the serial number will end in "R".

Well, it ends in RB. Not sure if that is significant.
To be honest I'm not sure. It was my understanding if it was DJI refurbished the last character would be a "R". They may have changed, not sure. If I were you I would make contact with DJI for clarification. Probably only way to be sure what you have.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000