DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI 's blanket warranty refusal policy

Rabber

Reactions
My Mavic 2 went "berserk" shortly after takeoff. It crashed into the side of a building. The drone was within it's 90 day warranty period. DJI has continually denied a warranty repair. This is fine with me. I simply would like to know what happened and can it happen again. Is this a genuine product defect? Attached is a screen shot of my flight log. May I ask any of you your thoughts?

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 7.49.30 AM.png

Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. If needed, you'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. If needed, you'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.
I cannot upload log file. I receive:

403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.​

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.​

????

Can you describe the takeoff location, and which way the aircraft was facing at takeoff? From the log data it appears to have been under a tree.
Takeoff was in a fairly confined area. Tree canopy was 12 feet above takeoff. I attempted to hover at 8 feet. It was night so sensors and vision were off. "Ambient light too low. Vision system and obstacle sensing unavailable. Fly with caution (Code: 180037)"

At Approx. 6 feet from takeoff, the drone went to full power, started to climb and veer to forward right where it crashed into the side of a building.

What I don't understand are the flight log entry's: "Low severity, impact on safety is likely not significantNot Enough Force/ESC Error. Low severity, impact on safety is likely not significantAircraft max power load reached. Decrease altitude and fly with caution. If this issue persists, land immediately (Code: 30168). Ambient light too low. Vision system and obstacle sensing unavailable. Fly with caution (Code

Not enough force/ESC yet "Max power load" What is ECS? Also: Low severity, impact on safety is likely not significantNot Enough Force/ESC Error (repeated 4 times)

All of this within 2 seconds.

Thanks for your input

Takeoff was in a fairly confined area. Tree canopy was 12 feet above takeoff. I attempted to hover at 8 feet. It was night so sensors and vision were off. "Ambient light too low. Vision system and obstacle sensing unavailable. Fly with caution (Code: 180037)"

At Approx. 6 feet from takeoff, the drone went to full power, started to climb and veer to forward right where it crashed into the side of a building.

What I don't understand are the flight log entry's: "Low severity, impact on safety is likely not significantNot Enough Force/ESC Error. Low severity, impact on safety is likely not significantAircraft max power load reached. Decrease altitude and fly with caution. If this issue persists, land immediately (Code: 30168). Ambient light too low. Vision system and obstacle sensing unavailable. Fly with caution (Code

Not enough force/ESC yet "Max power load" What is ECS? Also: Low severity, impact on safety is likely not significantNot Enough Force/ESC Error (repeated 4 times)

Thanks for your input
And which direction was it facing at takeoff?

My Mavic 2 went "berserk" shortly after takeoff. It crashed into the side of a building. The drone was within it's 90 day warranty period. DJI has continually denied a warranty repair. This is fine with me. I simply would like to know what happened and can it happen again. Is this a genuine product defect?
You already posted data and asked for comment on this thread:

I looked at your incident an commented, but you never responded.

Your data shows you launching at 52.8 seconds with full throttle.
You had the throttle pushed full up until 57.1 seconds when the drone was already 33 ft up and had already collided with something (the tree?).
That accounts for the drone climbing at full power.

As mentioned in your other thread where I analysed your data, those messages appeared after the drone had crashed to the ground and are a result of the crash.
They do not relate to the cause of the incident.

There's nothing in the data to suggest this incident should be a warranty issue.

Your data shows you launching at 52.8 seconds with full throttle.
You had the throttle pushed full up until 57.1 seconds when the drone was already 33 ft up and had already collided with something (the tree?).
That accounts for the drone climbing at full power.

As mentioned in your other thread where I analysed your data, those messages appeared after the drone had crashed to the ground and are a result of the crash.
They do not relate to the cause of the incident.

There's nothing in the data to suggest this incident should be a warranty issue.
Thank you for your analysis. Can you help me understand the errors Low severity, impact on safety is likely not significant Not Enough Force/ESC Error. Low severity, impact on safety is likely not significant Aircraft max power load
It appears to say on one hand not enough power and on the other Max power. Also, Low severity, impact on safety is likely not significant Not Enough Force/ESC Error (repeated 4 times)....This all in the span of 1 second.

Also, I did not take off at full power. I was in a confined area and was trying to hover at 6 feet. After "easy " take off, the drone went to full power on it's own.

Thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: Tiger64 and Meta4
That's what I'm seeing too. This doesn't look like a scenario DJI would normally cover.

Reactions: Meta4
That's what I'm seeing too. This doesn't look like a scenario DJI would normally cover.
Thank you again for your input.
The log ends when the drone hits the building and the battery is ejected. At the 1 minute mark, the drone hits the building and is disconnected from the RC. Everything prior to that (all of the errors) are BEFORE the drone struck anything.

Thank you for your analysis. Can you help me understand the errors Low severity, impact on safety is likely not significant Not Enough Force/ESC Error. Low severity, impact on safety is likely not significant Aircraft max power load
Were all the propellers intact when you retrieved the drone?
The not enough force/Max power reached message indicates the flight controller is revving the motors as hard as it can, but the drone isn't going where/how the flight controller would expect it to.
You would get that message if you had broken or lost a prop.
Also, I did not take off at full power. I was in a confined area and was trying to hover at 6 feet. After "easy " take off, the drone went to full power on it's own.
The joystick data showing indicates it was pushed to the limit and held there for four seconds, all the way up to 33 ft.

Reactions: mmoguls
The log ends when the drone hits the building and the battery is ejected. At the 1 minute mark, the drone hits the building and is disconnected from the RC. Everything prior to that (all of the errors) are BEFORE the drone struck anything.
There is data to show the drone descending and spinning, with data points at 31, 30, 27, 26, 24, 22, 19, 16, 12, 8, 4 & 1 ft and then the crash messages appear.
It indicates the battery wasn't dislodged until two seconds after the drone hit the ground.

Last edited:
No - that's incorrect. For whatever reason the log notifications that you posted from AirData are incomplete. The first impact was detected just 3 seconds after takeoff at an altitude of around 24 ft above the takeoff point - you caused that with full throttle after takeoff. All the other errors are after that.

Reactions: Pietros
Sorry for your loss

Sadly, logs do not lie! On the other hand.....

I did have an incident "once" with my Air2 - like "you" describe your flight. I was on the riverwalk in Savannah, GA - right next to the Hyatt Regency - about 10 feet or so. It too was low light, but not dark. As I took off, the drone went hard left from where I was standing - right into the building. It was maybe 4-5 feet off the ground. Since it was not that high up or traveled far and fast to the bldg - it was okay. No problems like that since and that was a year ago.

No idea what exactly happened - but guessing it did not have full GPS and probably a lot of magnetic interference in that area (way too much concrete).

I was just glad it did not do a hard right and splash down in the Savannah River. Moved to a much more open spot, flew the drone for the pics of the WWII Memorial (orb), some videos / pics of the water front and ended the day.

Reactions: Pietros
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji