DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI shipping update

Status
Not open for further replies.

A little late but better late than never I guess. The 7-8 weeks things has me bugged though as that's pretty much 2 months and if that holds true then I can expect mid January for my 25Oct206 order to be fulfilled -- OUCH!

Really, DJI can spin this anyway they wish but if you ask me they knew they would not be able to ship in quantity anywhere near mid October and I don't think they've ramped up sufficiently to get ahead of the orders and I suspect they won't hit that point till the end of November if then. Honestly, my suspicion is that they played a card from the bottom of the deck after GoPro announced and it's my guess that DJI knew they were not ready to ship in volume before the Karma was "scheduled" to begin shipping so they made an announcement they knew they couldn't meet in order to prevent GoPro from selling a bunch of Karma's between now and the end of the year (Christmas).

Let's say DJI was expecting to begin volume production by the end of November and begin filling the channels by mid December -- that would pretty much zero out there sales for this year and GoPro, if they could begin shipping when they said, might steel there thunder. Then, when they are in position to deliver in quantity GoPro might have already sold to many that DJI was counting on. I'll bet that this move will more than halve GoPro's sales this year. If I'm right then DJI is guilty of dirty trade tactics and may be vulnerable to penalties for it. I'd guess there BS answers will be sufficient to prevent any such penalty. In the end DJI will still get most of the sales they would have gotten anyway and GoPro will get the crumbs that are left.

It would have been more ethical for DJI to announce the Mavic Pro and demonstrate is as they have and if they'd been more honest with the time frame for availability they would likely still have gotten the same sales number owing to the superior drone.

Brian

A little late but better late than never I guess. The 7-8 weeks things has me bugged though as that's pretty much 2 months and if that holds true then I can expect mid January for my 25Oct206 order to be fulfilled -- OUCH!

Really, DJI can spin this anyway they wish but if you ask me they knew they would not be able to ship in quantity anywhere near mid October and I don't think they've ramped up sufficiently to get ahead of the orders and I suspect they won't hit that point till the end of November if then. Honestly, my suspicion is that they played a card from the bottom of the deck after GoPro announced and it's my guess that DJI knew they were not ready to ship in volume before the Karma was "scheduled" to begin shipping so they made an announcement they knew they couldn't meet in order to prevent GoPro from selling a bunch of Karma's between now and the end of the year (Christmas).

Let's say DJI was expecting to begin volume production by the end of November and begin filling the channels by mid December -- that would pretty much zero out there sales for this year and GoPro, if they could begin shipping when they said, might steel there thunder. Then, when they are in position to deliver in quantity GoPro might have already sold to many that DJI was counting on. I'll bet that this move will more than halve GoPro's sales this year. If I'm right then DJI is guilty of dirty trade tactics and may be vulnerable to penalties for it. I'd guess there BS answers will be sufficient to prevent any such penalty. In the end DJI will still get most of the sales they would have gotten anyway and GoPro will get the crumbs that are left.

It would have been more ethical for DJI to announce the Mavic Pro and demonstrate is as they have and if they'd been more honest with the time frame for availability they would likely still have gotten the same sales number owing to the superior drone.

Brian

I agree Brian but also I think what they have done and they have done this in the past is produced a handful of units at there own expense (despite the fact they are worth billions) but then waited for all the pre orders which take payment in full upfront to then fund the production run.

The other thing that lies between the premature launch and January is the consumer feeding frenzy that comes with Christmas. If they'd waited till Jan, having completed testing and setting up full production, they'd have missed the rush.

Man, that's 7-8 weeks from the time they posted the message (Nov. 3rd). Add another 2+ weeks on top of that for the pre-order folks and they're almost 3 months behind.

Hopefully they're being conservative so they don't have to put out another update pushing things out...

The whole "set the bar low" thing. Better than saying 3-4 weeks and it being 6. Now if it's 6 weeks then they did what they said they were going to do.

Hopefully anyways.

Props though to DJI for finally giving an informal update! Also for listening to payment concerns! That's why I will wait patiently for my bird!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

This story has already been posted. Please check before making duplicate threads ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji